SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chili con Carne vs friends
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chili con Carne vs friends Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That Texas red chile sounds a lot like ropa vieja, and that's a Cuban dish.

I'm beginning to think some of these "no beans folks" might be communists...

Big Grin

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I just hope we can all agree that chili doesn't have macaroni or corn in it.

I love chili over top of pasta with a good dose of vinegary hot sauce like Tapatio.

Down in Ohio they put fresh onion and shredded cheese on it and call it chili 5 way.

Only good thing to come out of Ohio. Wink

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
That Texas red chile sounds a lot like ropa vieja, and that's a Cuban dish.

I'm beginning to think some of these "no beans folks" might be communists...

Big Grin

I made some ropa vieja last year while I was on a Cuban cooking kick. Mine was nothing like chile colorado aka Texas Red. I didn't like the ropa vieja but loved the Cuban pork roast, BTW.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Chili without beans is just meat soup. A largely indigestible mess which looks pretty much the same coming out as it does going in.

I for one, prefer at least a couple types of beans in my chili, along with tomatoes, peppers and meat.

Generally speaking, Texans don't know shit about chili.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chili without beans is not what God intended. It is sacrilege. I would be highly suspect of anyone who preferred chili without beans.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Eek

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I do is make chili and a pot of beans then the people that like beans can add them to there chili. Beans were a filler back in the day day when there was not enough meat. If there is beans in it I will eat it. If no beans I will still eat it.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chili without beans is just meat soup. A largely indigestible mess which looks pretty much the same coming out as it does going in.

I for one, prefer at least a couple types of beans in my chili, along with tomatoes, peppers and meat.

Today, we have become brothers.
*cuts hand and hold it up*

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I just hope we can all agree that chili doesn't have macaroni or corn in it.
I can agree with that, but I do sometimes serve it over white rice.

Regarding beans, I'll eat it either way. My mom always made it with Kidney Beans and I do like it a lot. I wasn't raised in Texas and neither was she; she learned to call her creation "chili" from somewhere, so I can accept it being called that (even though I've now lived in Texas for 37 years). Hard-core Texans can rail against beans all they want to, but it won't make me dislike the dish.

And, IMHO, "stew" is NOT made with hot peppers!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

Then what you guys should order is "stew"...not chili. Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

Then what you guys should order is "stew"...not chili. Smile

Ok, now I'm really confused. Here we have erj_pilot telling us that chile with beans is just stew, but back on page 3 was Voshterkoff saying "Chili with no beans is more of a really lame stew." What gives?

"Stew" is meat, taters, carrots, tomato, onion, maybe a bell pepper for color and flavor but nothing spicy.

"Chili", to me, has meant various things over the years. I grew up eating Nalley's out of a can, and still like it. I didn't start making my own (inspired by some of you) until maybe 3-4 years ago. But it always seemed not quite right. Then a couple months ago in a similar thread somebody (sorry, don't recall who) posited that chili should never have tomatoes in it. So I cut the amount of tomato stuff to a third of what I usually use, and voila! Best batch of chili to date.

And because I grew up a Northerner, my idea of "spicy" is dicing up a couple of jalapenos to put in it along with a teaspoon of ground cayenne. Next time: no tomato stuff at all, and probably add a third jalapeno. I'm not brave enough to try a habanero, those things make my eyes water just being the same room with them. If three jalapenos doesn't kill me, maybe I'll try a serrano after that.

Oh, and speaking of eyes watering, DO NOT forget to thoroughly wash your hands after dicing the peppers, BEFORE rubbing your eyes! Holy Shit! Eek

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Would I be drifting the thread too badly if I asked for a no-bean chili recipe?

Just make regular chili, and when it's done, pick all the beans out.

LOL ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
We were poor when I was growing up, but not poor enough to have to add beans to our Texas Chili.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Chili without beans belongs on a hot dog.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Oh, and speaking of eyes watering, DO NOT forget to thoroughly wash your hands after dicing the peppers, BEFORE rubbing your eyes! Holy Shit! Eek

I did that once. I wear contacts, sooo, there was full contact with the eye ball. Twas quite fun at work the next day.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I'm really a live and let live guy when it comes to beans. Some finely minced green peppers and onion, sure. But for the love of God, no noodles!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post