SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chili con Carne vs friends
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chili con Carne vs friends Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
Sitting with our golf group in 19th hole, I mentioned that I had made chili yesterday. I "might" have bragged about the 4 different varieties of dried chilies and 2 varieties of fresh that gave it a complex flavor. And, and the chuck cubed 1-1/4". Not too hot (my wife ate it) but spicy. I was immediately admonished that chili needs to age 2-3 days in the fridge to "build the heat." OK, I understand this. Then two said "real chili must have beans........."

I had considered them friends. Now they are dead to me.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What, you like that red soup Texans call chili, without beans?

It’s just tomater soup with some peppers and meat in it!!!

Razz

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Required listening while you read this thread:

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Who needs "friends" who prefer Texas Bean Stew to chili!?!?!?!

Not to mention that if your chili needs days in the fridge to "build the heat," it isn't hot enough out of the pot!

Rather than cubed, next time try cutting your meat into strips, perhaps 1/4"x1/4"x2" I like the coarser texture this gives to the finished product.

Posts: 6454 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Razz

Big Grin

Your comments reveal only the profound depths of your ignorance. Texas red contains little to no tomatoes. The red comes from the chilis.

And the OP would be acting entirely properly to eliminate such pernicious influences from his social circle.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Do you know a mortician by chance?? The bodies would never be found..... Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
A wise man once said "chili got beans, dawg".

To be fair the statement "real chili must have beans" is correct. "Real" being the key word. You can have hotdog chili, which is a condiment, because that has no beans but that's not a meal and not really chili.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I just hope we can all agree that chili doesn't have macaroni or corn in it.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
It's good with corn chips in it.

This is my favorite topic to argue. Actually, I don't care if you like meat soup and you can call it anything you want. When you leave your bubble though, expect a bit of raised eyebrows.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Razz

Big Grin

Your comments reveal only the profound depths of your ignorance. Texas red contains little to no tomatoes. The red comes from the chilis.

And the OP would be acting entirely properly to eliminate such pernicious influences from his social circle.

I mean you lil Texans make a mean ‘Mater soup, no doubt.

A lil spicy with all the salt and pepper and such, but ain’t hot or nuttin’.

Chili? Nah, soup.

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
It's good with corn chips in it.

This is my favorite topic to argue. Actually, I don't care if you like meat soup and you can call it anything you want. When you leave your bubble though, expect a bit of raised eyebrows.

It is good served over corn chips. With cheese shredded over it. That's "Frito Pie", though. Wink

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post

Does this look like tomater soup?

I make two kinds of chili: Texas Red (no tomatoes, see above) and Carroll Shelby's kit with added beans for the grandkids. That's chili con carne. Don't call a magazine a clip and don't call chili con carne simply "chili." My chili won a local club competition. The second place lady said mine wasn't "real chili" because it didn't have beans. I just nodded and pointed to the blue ribbon.

I brought beaner Tom, my ex-friend, a serving yesterday to take home. We'll see what he says Wednesday, but he's a stubborn Alabama redneck set in his ways. I would be surprised if he even admits he liked it.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Ohio and as a kid my mom would make chili frequently(5 kids)and it always had beans, hell I never even knew about Texas chili. My mom's was more like a runny ground beef and canned tomato mix with beans, thinking back I shudder. As far as heat, like mentioned earlier if it has to age to get hot then someone didn't add enough heat to begin with.

Just to add, if it has them I like black beans over kidney beans in chili.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
A cook puts beans in Chili when too poor to put meat in it. Truth!!!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Deo Fiducia Nostra
Picture of SigEd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
A wise man once said "chili got beans, dawg".

I ain’t wild about bean but I draw the line at dawg. Eek

SigEd

P220ST .45ACP
P229 .40SW
P229 9mm
P239 9mm
P232SL
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 468 | Location: Franklin, TN | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cazio:
I grew up in Ohio and as a kid my mom would make chili frequently(5 kids)and it always had beans, hell I never even knew about Texas chili.
Probably because beans make a great filler...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
A cook puts beans in Chili when too poor to put meat in it. Truth!!!

Chili is a rich man's food... learn something new every day.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by cazio:
I grew up in Ohio and as a kid my mom would make chili frequently(5 kids)and it always had beans, hell I never even knew about Texas chili.
Probably because beans make a great filler...

My meaning exactly. I think since we grow up eating something made a certain way we tend to stick with a similar recipe or at least I do.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
can we please leave that entire stupid beans no beans argument over at that other bloated pseudo gun board?
There's no one right way to cook anything. If you like an ingredient use it. And when you grow up in a large family, you use beans, because they're cheap and filling.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Just bought a pork roast yesterday, going to make Chile Verde. I have Hatch Chiles in the freezer.

Food for the Gods, I tell you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post