SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Thought About How Leftists Think
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Thought About How Leftists Think Login/Join 
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted
The progressives, "the left", believe that the application of violence is only legitimate when it's the government that's doing it. They believe that the common citizen has no business using violence to defend himself -- only the government can do that.

But their thinking regarding the illegitimacy of action undertaken by the common citizen isn't limited to violence. It apparently includes any action that citizens may undertake independent of government sanction. A strong, self-reliant, independent citizenry is anathema to the left.

As proof of this assertion, I offer up the MSM's blatant effort to de-legitimize the "Cajun Navy". Consider this commentary: LINK

quote:
Why the Liberal Media Scolded the Cajun Navy Instead of Thanking Them
By Charlotte Allen

The “Cajun Navy“—the volunteer flotilla of hundreds of sport fishermen and duck hunters from the Louisiana bayous (plus a whole lot of Texans) who towed their bass boats and other shallow-water craft to Houston to help rescue stranded flood victims—had to be one of the most beautiful stories to arise from the devastation of Hurricane Harvey. There were plenty of other tear-inspiring incidents of people selflessly helping other people in devastated Houston last week: the local mattress king who opened his stores as shelters for hundreds, the Latino bakers who turned out sheets of free pan dulce to feed hungry victims, the human chain that formed to help a woman in labor get into a rescue truck. But it was the photos of the bass boats, jon boats, airboats, and even jet skis fanning out over freeways, roads, and lawns that had become rivers and lakes after Harvey poured nearly fifty-two inches of rain onto the city and its environs that made the most moving impression.

Strangely enough, though, not everyone is happy about the Cajun Navy. It seems that among many liberals and progressives, the idea is that rescue should be the sole province of government professionals, and that the volunteer Samaritans of Houston, often attired in military-looking duck-hunter camouflage and occasionally armed with guns, were just a step above vigilantes. A petulant article by New Yorker staff writer Benjamin Wallace-Wells conceded that the boatmen were “heroes,” but complained that Texas’s “libertarian” culture, leading to an “insufficiency of Houston’s city planning” and “willful ignorance of climate change” on the part of politicians, had made it necessary to rely on private citizens. “There is a cyclic pattern to the erosion of faith in government, in which politics saps the state’s capacity to protect people, and so people put their trust in other institutions (churches; self-organizing volunteer navies), and are more inclined to support anti-government politics,” Wallace-Wells wrote.

Slate columnist Katy Waldman mocked the idea that the generous responses of individual citizens to the Houston crisis represented the “best of America,” as both President Trump and a Washington Times editorial had put it. “National disasters shouldn’t be used for the purpose of national mythmaking,” Waldman scolded. “What if America is less a glorious nation of do-gooders awaiting the chance to exercise their altruism than a moral junior varsity team elevated by circumstance?” she wrote. A strange article by Jalopnik contributor Erik Shilling, headlined “The ‘Cajun Navy’ Descends on Houston, for Better or Worse,” faulted a Cajun Navy organizer for claiming on CNN that one of the volunteer boats had been shot at by likely looters and implied that “some people” among the volunteer rescuers had “itchy trigger fingers” and were spoiling for gunfights. Meanwhile, Shilling wrote, “Officials…said that police officers had completed over 2,000 rescue missions over the weekend, and The New York Times said Tuesday that over 30,000 people were in shelters, with rescues continuing and 12,000 National Guardsmen activated. The professionals, in other words, remain hard at work.”

Waldman and Shilling may well be right. Next week or next month, as Houston clears itself of wreckage and tries to rebuild, most of the volunteer guardian angels are likely to be back home evidencing all the human failings large and small—selfishness, self-indulgence, greed, pettiness, propensity toward physical or moral violence—that make the human race so exasperating to contemplate. But in Houston, they and other individuals, both volunteers and “professionals,” demonstrated that people really do have a “best” to which they are capable of spontaneously and selflessly rising. The Cajun Navy recalls Dunkirk in 1940, when 700 fishing boats and pleasure yachts alerted by radio and word of mouth arrived on the French beach under German fire to rescue 300,000 stranded British soldiers; it also calls to mind the 9/11 boatlift, when the ferrymen and tugboat operators of New York harbor evacuated some 500,000 people trapped in the south end of Manhattan after fleeing the burning World Trade Center towers in 2001.

Furthermore, as nearly every “professional” in Houston working on the ground to battle Harvey’s devastation—in contrast to the armchair progressives commenting on it—has gratefully acknowledged, the volunteer boatmen proved to be an essential component of the rescue operations, and not because the “libertarian” government in Texas was somehow deficient or because the Cajun Navy horned in on the National Guard. They proved essential because they were boatmen—men with years of experience reading the waters and the skies and navigating their craft over stumps and logs that might have made freeways seem like a piece of cake. As Washington Post sports columnist Sally Jenkins wrote in what may be the finest piece of writing to emerge from Hurricane Harvey, “They’re used to maneuvering through the cypress of Caddo Lake or the hydrilla and coontail of the Atchafalaya, where the water might be four feet or it might rise to eighteen, and the stinking bog is called ‘coffee grinds’ because of the way boots sink in it. Spending hours in monsoon rains doesn’t bother them, because they know ducks don’t just show up on a plate, and they’ve learned what most of us haven’t, that dry comfort is not the only thing worth seeking.”

So rather than malign these men, or tut-tut that they are too libertarian, why not thank them for risking their lives to help others (a service for which none of them were paid). I doubt the judgmental journalists scolding the Cajun Navy would have been willing to do the same.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family has a big thank you to the Cajun Navy.

Any time some liberal likes to point-out government ineptitude in places like Houston, Louisiana and Florida, just tell them, Super Storm Sandy made NYC look pretty bad and the Winter of 2016 made the whole region look like the North Pole paralyzing everyone.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
rescue should be the sole province of government professionals, and that the volunteer Samaritans of Houston, often attired in military-looking duck-hunter camouflage and occasionally armed with guns, were just a step above vigilantes. A petulant article by New Yorker staff writer Benjamin Wallace-Wells conceded that the boatmen were “heroes,” but complained that Texas’s “libertarian” culture, leading to an “insufficiency of Houston’s city planning” and “willful ignorance of climate change” on the part of politicians, had made it necessary to rely on private citizens. “There is a cyclic pattern to the erosion of faith in government, in which politics saps the state’s capacity to protect people, and so people put their trust in other institutions (churches; self-organizing volunteer navies), and are more inclined to support anti-government politics,” Wallace-Wells wrote.

I find it funny that the lefties knock the Houston Leadership given that according to Wikipedia the Mayor is a Democrat and the previous Mayors all going back to 1998 have been Democrats.

As for the Cajun Navy, God Bless Them. Helping your neighbors out during times of disaster have been a tradition since before our nation was founded. Just look at the Bucket Brigades.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Liberals don't think; they emote." - Col Mike

I have to wonder if these writers live in a part of the country where neighbors helping neighbors is actually mythical, or if they are just upset that our religion and belief system works better than theirs.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Herknav has a point. While I don't believe it is a valid excuse, I will generalize that the liberal media live in the large metropolitan areas. In these environs it is normal to distrust everyone until you are proven "safe" - i.e. as paranoid as they are.

They also make the assumption that all the rest of the country is exactly like their neighborhood so they are dumbfounded by this neighbor helping neighbor idea.

Generations have now been trained (in the cities) to depend on the govt. Security, public services and even money for food all come from big brother.

Programs depend on those that depend on them.

It is a different mindset.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The Left can't have a private-citizen-run "Cajun Navy" going out rescuing people you see, that's the job of big government only. Never mind that these guys can get people out before big government can even have a meeting about a meeting to meet about discussing how they will eventually rescue people.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

I find it funny that the lefties knock the Houston Leadership given that according to Wikipedia the Mayor is a Democrat and the previous Mayors all going back to 1998 have been Democrats.

As for the Cajun Navy, God Bless Them. Helping your neighbors out during times of disaster have been a tradition since before our nation was founded. Just look at the Bucket Brigades.

But Houston is a mind boggling bastion of property rights populated by looney libertarians, Sheila Jackson Lee and her ilk not withstanding. Houston lacks the most elementary tools of urban control, no zoning.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:

They also make the assumption that all the rest of the country is exactly like their neighborhood so they are dumbfounded by this neighbor helping neighbor idea.

Or...they think that their neighborhood is better than the rest of the country, so everyone should strive to be like them.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The Left can't have a private-citizen-run "Cajun Navy" going out rescuing people you see, that's the job of big government only. Never mind that these guys can get people out before big government can even have a meeting about a meeting to meet about discussing how they will eventually rescue people.
Roll Eyes

sooo true.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Thought About How Leftists Think

They think?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The left is always so worried about losing faith in government and horrified at the idea of individuals capable of living and dealing with life's problems without government assistance.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yet the silver lining to all this is, the Cajun Navy will neither be encouraged by positive commentary, nor deterred by negative liberal nonsense when the next incident arises that requires their participation. I truly believe they do it for the 'right' reasons, which these media goons can neither grasp nor discourage.

God Bless the Cajun Navy for showing all of us how its done.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
A Thought About How Leftists Think

They think?

Pretty sure that was a typo.

Probably should have read "A Thought About How Leftists Stink"

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
The progressives, "the left", believe that the application of violence is only legitimate when it's the government that's doing it.

This would apply to what some call "classical liberals," I think. (edit: but probably not to all classical liberals)

Some astute political commentators today would say that many/most "leftists" think violence by individuals is fine-and-dandy, so long as it's against someone they (the leftists) strongly disagree with, such as an perceived oppressor/potential oppressor. Antifa, and some number of the members of BLM, are prime examples.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I think what upsets the liberals is Texans didn't sit and wait for the government to arrive. They didn't stand in line with their hands out.
The Cajun Navy scares liberals. Here are volunteers doing the work that "should be done" by big, expensive agencies that employ thousands. What would happen if Trump diverted money from a big agency to have things be done cheaper and better?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

But Houston is a mind boggling bastion of property rights populated by looney libertarians, Sheila Jackson Lee and her ilk not withstanding. Houston lacks the most elementary tools of urban control, no zoning.

I think I get you. The left is complaining that the libertarians are short circuiting the governments efforts to control the city.

Interestingly enough Diblasio the Mayor of NYC made comments about wanting for control over Zoning in NYC recently.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
That's just like democrats... to be afraid of the very citizens that are trying to help them. They always have to be victims.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
I think what upsets the liberals is Texans didn't sit and wait for the government to arrive. They didn't stand in line with their hands out.
The Cajun Navy scares liberals. Here are volunteers doing the work that "should be done" by big, expensive agencies that employ thousands. What would happen if Trump diverted money from a big agency to have things be done cheaper and better?

Well said

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it weren't for government these people would curl up and die.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post