SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robar guns is closing its doors.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robar guns is closing its doors. Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Saw it on the tactical wire email. I hate to hear this. They do great work. They will continue industrial coatings.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow! Tough time. And, I was thinking of sending them something to refinish. Frown

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Even though Robar has been competition for our CPII Nickel Boron Nitride plating I hate to see any firearms company go out of business

There are not too many of us 30 year company left

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
why is the question?

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
why is the question?

Easiest answer: Not making enough profit to warrant continued firearm works. Same thing with Klein years ago. They are making more money doing industrial work.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
The refinishing business is not easy. Everyone wants it done yesterday. The plating industry is very regulated and the chemical costs keep getting higher and higher and the firearms industry is dependent on politics

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
why is the question?

Easiest answer: Not making enough profit to warrant continued firearm works. Same thing with Klein years ago. They are making more money doing industrial work.
Yup. Business is to make money. The Firearm industry makes it tough.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
They will continue industrial coatings.

When I read "closing their doors" I think "going out of business." Discontinuing the firearms side of their operation is not going out of business.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
When I read "closing their doors" I think "going out of business." Discontinuing the firearms side of their operation is not going out of business.
Yeah but their FFL / Gunsmith / Firearm operation is closing it's doors / going out of business.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My first P-220 has a full NP3 finish, which has held up very well. Sorry to hear they are ceasing the firearms side of the business.

Isn't this similar to what happened at Klein in Erie, PA?

We are fortunate to have CCR here as an active/contributing member. The have refinished a P64 and a P-220 for me and I highly recommend them.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Quite surprising. I just figured that they'd always be there.

Posts: 107489 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Damn. They're 10 minutes from me and I always have a gun in mind to send them. I follow them on FB and didn't see anything about this. Is there a last call for taking new gun refinishing jobs?

Posts: 3521 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone posted a letter from Robar. It stated that refunds were coming and firearms were being returned untouched.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I was set up at a Tom Allman gunshow at Louisville Fairgrounds when he brought this Diamondback with NP3 coating on it to show me about 30 minutes before closing Sunday. $600 ask. I passed. Got home and the gun haunted me. I called Tom Monday morning. He lives about 60 miles north of me. He drove S I drove N and we met in the middle. Still have it and love it.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
They did a really nice job on my Browning Hi Power.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is dreadful.
I am scheduled to take a CZ PCR to them in October.
I have a P7 and a 1911 in NP3. Wonderful in terms of protection, nothing can I clean so easily, and to me it is a classier looking finish than any other "white" finish, including hard chrome and stainless.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s surprising and sad to hear. Some years back, I handled a P226 that Robar had worked over including a nice trigger job and done in NP3 that I really wanted to buy, just couldn’t afford it at the time. From a sample size of one, I was impressed with their work.

Posts: 17111 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Bummer! They do/did fantastic work... Frown

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3921 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally when a business with a backlog of orders, makes a quick and drastic decision like this, it's something that forced them to.

Either a government agency is forcing them to make drastic changes that are too costly and would cause the firearms end to become unprofitable (such as EPA/OSHA etc.)

Or, one of their head employees is retiring/quit etc. and they cannot hire/find anyone skilled enough to replace them. Prepping firearms for refinishing is very detail oriented work.

Or they got a very large contract on the non-firearms side of the business and need the capacity and it's very profitable.

Otherwise, if it's simply profitability on firearms went down, then most businesses would stop taking new orders, or drastically increase prices on new orders, and simply finish up the orders they already have on the books to keep existing customers happy or the new orders they get become more profitable.

This is all sheer speculation on my part.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
This is all sheer speculation on my part.

Given the average internet IQ, this is probably a smart way to start your post, rather than conclude it. This is how rumors get started. I guarantee someone at Robar who has better things to do is going to eventually get a phone call inquiring about the stuff in your post.

Posts: 17111 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post