SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are your favorite 'classic' movies from the 30's - 60's?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your favorite 'classic' movies from the 30's - 60's? Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Has The Court Jester been mentioned yet? I know it's a silly movie, but it's one of those memorable ones that I used to watch with my mom.

“Court Jester” is a fav of my Wife. “Giacomo” is a name of a character in the movie, and also is the name of a race horse.

Wife and I were at Kentucky Oaks race in 2005 and I looked over the entrants’ names for the Kentucky Derby the next day. I mentioned that this horse was entered into the race, and it was also a “grey” horse (she always bets on “greys”). She put down $2 to win on it as a hunch/joke; guess which horse won the 2005 Kentucky Derby (paid $102.60 to win)! She said she wished she had bet $20! Cool

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
30's... Scarlet Pimpernel!
Great film, great actors set in a time period of social, industrial and economic upheaval.

Anyays, I always had a secret desire to be a FOP.

:^)

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I neglected to mention the Akria Kurasawa films!

Most/all are good, but I specifically recommend Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, The Hidden Fortress, and Yojimbo.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
On the Beach.
Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, and Anthony Perkins.

The Great Escape.
Steve McQueen, James Garner, and Richard Attenborough.

The book "On the Beach" is a great read as well. I would add Dr. Strangelove to the movie list.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
In general I'm not a fan of old movies and don't think I've watched anything from the era in question since I was a kid.

That being said, King Kong was favorite of mine growing up, and I even liked the knock offs like Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young (the one from 1949).

Here's the IMDB storyline summary for MJY:

In Africa, the girl Jill Young trades a baby gorilla with two natives and raises the animal. Twelve years later, the talkative and persuasive promoter Max O'Hara organizes a safari to Africa with the Oklahoma cowboy Gregg to bring attractions to his new night-club in Hollywood. They capture several lions and out of blue, they see a huge gorilla nearby their camping and they try to capture the animal. However, the teenager Jill Young stops the men that intended to kill her gorilla. Max seduces Jill with a fancy life in Hollywood and she signs a contract with him where the gorilla Joseph "Joe" Young would be the lead attraction. Soon she realizes that her dream is a nightmare to Joe and she asks Max to return to Africa. However he persuades her to stay a little longer in the show business. But when three alcoholic costumers give booze to Joe, the gorilla destroys the spot and is sentenced by the justice to be sacrificed. Will Jill, Gregg and Max succeed in saving Joe?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The Pawnbroker
A good choice, and I'll add Flight Of The Phoenix to the list.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
either I do not understand the term Classic , or

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
1-2-3 Cagney.
Mad mad mad mad world Tracy, Caesar, Rooney...
Petrified Forest
The Hill Kirk Douglas.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
A Man for All Seasons

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From 1956, Around the World in 80 Days.
I saw it in a big movie house featured "Widescreen CinemaScope!" Just like being there.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post