SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are your favorite 'classic' movies from the 30's - 60's?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your favorite 'classic' movies from the 30's - 60's? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
1- The Ten Commandments
2- Ben-Hur
3- The Longest Day

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
1- The Ten Commandments
2- Ben-Hur
3- Miracle On 34th Street

Close to mine. Been many years since I have watched any of them though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The only one that hasn't been mentioned already is 'Dr Zhivago'
'Lara's Theme' is still one of my favorite songs of all time.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
12 Angry Men

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
1. Casablanca
2. The Quiet Man

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
it really is hard to go wrong with movies from the 30s through the 60s

There were plenty of shit movies during that time period. They've just been forgotten. Whereas everyone remembers and recognizes the classics, which are classics for a reason. (Some more deserving than others, though.)

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everything that was mentioned but I have a soft spot for sci-fi, monster movies put out by Universal,Hammer and Toho studios.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Then start with Lawrence of Arabia or Bridge on the River Kwai.

Enough action to keep the "war movie" guys interested, and enough excellent plot/dialogue/scenery to interest anyone else.

Generally regarded as some of the best films of all time, not just among war films.

Don't forget Doctor Zhivago. Ah, Jimbo54 beat me to it.

Fantastic film.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Forgot one: Them!

Yup, Them! immediately came to mind.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Pretty much all of those already identified.

Wife and I also like the 1951 version of “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (it was released into theaters about 1 month after my birth). I’ve been in that very same “Walter Reed Army Hospital” building (it was the Administration building at that time I was there) that is depicted in the movie; kinda made it more personal that way too.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Surprised no one mentioned Dr. Strangelove, yet.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The Loved One

"Mama's little Joy Boy brings piggy, piggy!"

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Harm's Way

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
God, one can name a hundred really good films from that 4 decade period. I'll just limit it to the 40s:

Citizen Kane
The Magnificent Ambersons
Double Indemnity
His Girl Friday
Casablanca
The Third Man
Red River
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

..and even more.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"In a lonely place".. Bogart and Gloria Graham.

"Sunset Boulevard"...Gloria Swanson and William Holden.

"Double Indemnity"...Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.

Plus, any of the Precode movies of the early '30's directed by William Wellman.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Other Men's Women" - 1931. James Gagney

Joan Blondell has a case of "APO".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anjanette Comer was ethereal in "The Loved One"!

Here's a couple more: "Red River" (1948) and "No Way To Treat a Lady" (1968).

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
A lot of great classic movies already mentioned.

If you/your wife like courtroom/law dramas you should try these:

Witness for the Prosecution
Anatomy of a Murder

You can thank me later.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Has The Court Jester been mentioned yet? I know it's a silly movie, but it's one of those memorable ones that I used to watch with my mom.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
To Kill a Mockingbird.
Psycho
Mutiny on the Bounty
Robin Hood
Zorro

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post