SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ER - patients that are an exception to the norm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ER - patients that are an exception to the norm Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
So I had a patient tonight with a sense of humor more inappropriate than most ER nurses. A patient that the whole staff was able to joke with and was truly grateful for his care. A patient who gave me a heartfelt handshake at discharge. Why is it that this is the exception rather than the norm? After the last 2 weeks of 4 point restraints, having to page security at discharge, urinals being thrown and f-bombs being dropped, it was a nice change.

Because, you've never been on the other end. Everytime I've ever gone to the emergency room, I've had to wait hours on end for something worthy of the ER, broken foot etc., meanwhile watching dozens of people who really aren't injured and looking for cough syrup (instead of going to a doctor they'd have to pay) or pain pills.......So by the time you get to see someone, you're in such pain and aggrivated from being told another 20 minutes everytime you ask the girl at the front desk......that you have no patience left.....LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've had approaching 50 or so surgeries, most of which are kidney related. I have a running joke with my urologist (a dicksmith-imagine a blacksmith with a hammer and the twig and giggleberries laid upon the anvil). Last few surgeries I wrote on my inner thigh along the lines of "don't judge me, it's cold as hell in here" and "use a mirror, objects are larger." Always good for a laugh. I guess most are seen by you at their worst moments. It's that way in law enforcement too.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Because, you've never been on the other end. Everytime I've ever gone to the emergency room, I've had to wait hours on end for something worthy of the ER, broken foot etc., meanwhile watching dozens of people who really aren't injured and looking for cough syrup (instead of going to a doctor they'd have to pay) or pain pills.......So by the time you get to see someone, you're in such pain and aggrivated from being told another 20 minutes everytime you ask the girl at the front desk......that you have no patience left.....LOL

Oh trust me, I've been on the other end. ER nursing is a second career for me. How about laying in an ER bed for over an hour having an allergic reaction to medication with muscle contractions so tight that I couldn't even move my jaw. My wife literally tackled a flight nurse in the hallway. He saw my condition, went back out to his helicopter on the pad retrieved meds from it and administered benadryl to end the reaction and then told the hospital staff about it after the fact.

You probably haven't seen it from our end. Imagine running a code on a cardiac arrest patient. Doc at the head of the bed directing, nurses, techs and respiratory therapists working hard to try and bring the patient back. Then a family member from the room next door meters the room and says, "Excuse, could someone get us an extra pillow?"

It was one of my favorite docs running the code. In codes she was blunt and matter of fact when barking orders. She almost always included a please as she addressed specific staff members or a thank you afterwards as a form of making sure she was understood. When that family member entered the room to request an extra pillow, she almost lost it. Instead of barking out please and thank you with orders it was,

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY ER!"

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
The one trip to the ER I had I felt I was pretty pleasant, laughing and joking with the staff. Unfortunately, it's all the shit birds that they remember dealing with. I feel that way after working in customer service a while back, and now in a jail. Usually you deal with decent people, but the fucktards are what you remember. I was similar to what was stated earlier in this thread when I was in the ER, apologetic. Felt like I was putting them out for helping me, tried to make light of every situation and had casual conversation with them.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in the ER was almost 10 years ago when I hurt my left knee while at therapy for the right one. First thing that pissed me off was when the doctor told me he wasn't going to admit me, even though I couldn't walk. They gave me Demerol for the pain(Both knees hurt like hell), and I had a vasovagal episode, with flashing lights and tunnel vision, along with a soaking wet sweat while sitting on the toilet. After I called the nurses to tell them what was going on, they came in and decided to yank me off the toilet. Three of them came in and ignored my protests, and just yanked me up. It hurt like hell, and I was barely able to stand even with help, and I decided right then that if they did it again, I would call a lawyer and sue the crap out of them. After I went back to the ER cubicle, they decided to admit me after all and put me in the cardiac watch section, where the point seemed to be to keep you awake until you either have a heart attack, or flip out. I flipped out after 4 nights of almost no sleep and became famous as one of the most "epic meltdowns" in a long time. After I reamed the doctors for about 10 minutes, they left me alone that night instead of the usual 2x a night wake up, "Are you having chest pains?", BP check and once a night blood draw, and I slept a solid six hours. Next day, out the door I went to inpatient therapy, soon to return for surgery after another crash in therapy. The only positive thing I can say about the ER is it hasn't been the disaster physical therapy has been almost every time I've taken it. The best outcome I've had is I was worse than when I went in, and the worst was having me quadricep torn off.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2010Challenger:
Last time I was in the ER was almost 10 years ago when I hurt my left knee while at therapy for the right one. First thing that pissed me off was when the doctor told me he wasn't going to admit me, even though I couldn't walk. They gave me Demerol for the pain(Both knees hurt like hell), and I had a vasovagal episode, with flashing lights and tunnel vision, along with a soaking wet sweat while sitting on the toilet. After I called the nurses to tell them what was going on, they came in and decided to yank me off the toilet. Three of them came in and ignored my protests, and just yanked me up. It hurt like hell, and I was barely able to stand even with help, and I decided right then that if they did it again, I would call a lawyer and sue the crap out of them. After I went back to the ER cubicle, they decided to admit me after all and put me in the cardiac watch section, where the point seemed to be to keep you awake until you either have a heart attack, or flip out. I flipped out after 4 nights of almost no sleep and became famous as one of the most "epic meltdowns" in a long time. After I reamed the doctors for about 10 minutes, they left me alone that night instead of the usual 2x a night wake up, "Are you having chest pains?", BP check and once a night blood draw, and I slept a solid six hours. Next day, out the door I went to inpatient therapy, soon to return for surgery after another crash in therapy. The only positive thing I can say about the ER is it hasn't been the disaster physical therapy has been almost every time I've taken it. The best outcome I've had is I was worse than when I went in, and the worst was having me quadricep torn off.

So you wanted to be admitted and when it seemed that you possibly could have had a cardiac event and they did admit you, you got mad at the doctors and nursing staff for attempting to do proper assessments? Oh and you also wanted to sue them because they wanted to make sure you didn't die while taking a shit? Yeah you are exactly the type of patient I don't want in my ER. Ps: unless you snapped your knee in half (and sometimes even if you have) or half septic joint "knee pain" is not an admission worthy condition. Knee immobilizer, pain meds, crutches, orthopedic referral, doors that way. Next time you hurt yourself call your orthopedist and save everyone in the ER the pleasure of dealing with you.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
So you wanted to be admitted and when it seemed that you possibly could have had a cardiac event and they did admit you, you got mad at the doctors and nursing staff for attempting to do proper assessments? Oh and you also wanted to sue them because they wanted to make sure you didn't die while taking a shit? Yeah you are exactly the type of patient I don't want in my ER. Ps: unless you snapped your knee in half (and sometimes even if you have) or half septic joint "knee pain" is not an admission worthy condition. Knee immobilizer, pain meds, crutches, orthopedic referral, doors that way. Next time you hurt yourself call your orthopedist and save everyone in the ER the pleasure of dealing with you.

Exactly.

I've got 15+ yrs experience as an REMT-P, plus another 15 yrs as an ER RN, & 7 yrs more working Telemetry w/ occasional ICU/CCU pulls.

A few observations on 2010Challenger's post:
The hospital is not a resort or a spa.
I've lost count of the number of cardiac arrests & MI's (heart attacks) that started as a vasovagal incident on a toilet.
Every telemetry unit I have ever encountered requires the staff (RN's, Aides, etc) to monitor their patients at least every 2 hrs.
Threatening a lawyer to "sue the crap out of them" has no value as a threat or an attempt at intimidation. To experienced staff it comes across more as a temper tantrum on not getting your way.

A general observation on the sense of entitlement encountered by hospital staff:
I believe it has fostered by the general real sense of entitlements created by politicians and has been exacerbated by hospital executives who have adopted the ridiculous "customer is always right" mentality in dealing with patients. Some 'customers' are wrong

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more with Dusty and mrBill......

When you read an article about how many healthcare workers are quitting and how hard it is to hire more ( and the high wages it requires to entice doctors and nurses to come to a hospital....and how hospitals are chronically understaffed......think about this kind of story)...

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
You know, it's sad that bad behavior is so common.

I go through my day being pleasant to those around me, am thankful for any help or kindness someone else shows, I hold doors, let ladies go first, smile at strangers, etc.

If I'm in a bad mood, no one would ever know it.

It's just easy to be nice, and I get it back more often than not.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
You know, it's sad that bad behavior is so common.

I go through my day being pleasant to those around me, am thankful for any help or kindness someone else shows, I hold doors, let ladies go first, smile at strangers, etc.

If I'm in a bad mood, no one would ever know it.

It's just easy to be nice, and I get it back more often than not.

Amen ! Smile

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made a lpn laugh till she almost cried, on my last visit to the e.r. in east Mesa, ( over 9 years ago)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Took my daughter to an ER two nights in a row. (Injury and then infection) First visit was late Sunday night and quiet. Monday night was the "after dinner rush" and there were only a few seats. Hours later the staff took some of us upstairs to the day clinic. Think my daughter and I were one of the few that kept a sense of humor and were patient. Not surprising, we got great care. The lady next door was in a rant that ended with her being removed by the police. The doctor offered to admit my daughter but honestly said she wouldn't get much rest.
My daughter has obamacare and she was really limited in which ER we could use. Damn him.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've been to the ER 4 times, and all resulted in some time in the hospital:
1989--motorcycle accident, 1 month hospital 3 months in bed at home.
2007--strange feeling in chest, got quadruple bypass, hospital 1 week
2015--abscess on leg (told to go by doctor), 1 week in hospital
2017--violent shivering, gall bladder removed, 10 days in hospital.

In all cases my ER experience was professional and satisfying.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that those on Sig forum are, by and large, the exception to humanity in the first place.

That most of the posters relate positive experiences and positive attitudes here is because the people here are the exception.

Unfortunately, we have days that remind us that most people suck and that we have to get through each day one day at a time.

It is particularly tiring to have people who don't have any knowledge or training aggravate and refute and be obstinate when I or others are working with them who are the best in our fields.

There are 2 reasons I sleep very well. 1. I know I did the right things and 2. these people wear me out.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post