SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stupid state legislatures. Or, Why not break the law in NC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid state legislatures. Or, Why not break the law in NC Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m holding in my hand TWO criminal summonses for armed robbery.

I shit thee not.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Un fucking believable!!! I sure hope someone doesn't leak that info to a "friendly" reporter. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’m holding in my hand TWO criminal summonses for armed robbery.

I shit thee not.

Good fucking grief.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This kind of stuff makes me love my state.

There is no "going down and swearing out a warrant."

Law enforcement may arrest, or cite into court on almost any charge, at their discretion, with extremely limited exceptions.

Law enforcement may arrest for misdemeanors with probable cause even if the offense did not occur in their presence.

All traffic offenses are misdemeanors. Almost none result in arrest, but any of them can.

A notarized criminal complaint is a sufficient charging instrument. There is no nonsense about going and swearing out a warrant for somebody who is in custody. There is no nonsense about going to court in the morning to testify and establish PC.

A peace officer, acting within their employment has the powers of a notary.

Although we have grand juries by statute, almost all formal charging for "indictable" offenses (> a simple misdemeanor) is handled by the county attorney filing a trial information. That includes everything from marijuana possession to murder.

All criminal complaints are filed and signed by a law enforcement officer.

There is only one court system. The state's. Ordinance violations charged by cities are tried by judges employed by the state who also try state offenses. There are no little kangaroo municipal courts.

It is so much less complicated than some of this goofy shit some of you guys have to deal with.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post