SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EDC Flashlight <$100
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDC Flashlight <$100 Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My duty flashlight and three of my EDC/dog walking/house are Nitecore lights. I've had Fenix lights before, but Nitecore has really stepped up their selection and I've changed over to them.

www.nitecorestore.com

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

The Olight i5T looks like a decent option on 'paper'.

I've had that light for about a month now and its worked great. 15 lumens is enough for most up close tasks and the high mode can really light up a room. It's amazing that they can squeeze 300 lumens out of single AA battery. I run a rechargeable NiMH Eneloop AA in it and top it off every few months or so. I am a big fan and longtime user of it's little brother the AAA powered Olight i3T EOS.

There are quite a few Cyber Monday deals out there today. Olight Storehas the i5T on sale for $23.96 (originally $29.95) and there is a bundle that includes the S1R II Bundle (another great EDC light) and the i5T for $56.94.

https://www.olightstore.com/i5t-eos-bk.html

https://www.olightstore.com/s1r-ii-bundle-i5t-bk.html

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 881 | Location: NW PA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
My duty flashlight and three of my EDC/dog walking/house are Nitecore lights. I've had Fenix lights before, but Nitecore has really stepped up their selection and I've changed over to them.

www.nitecorestore.com

YES --- And move quickly! 30% off today only!

LINK for 30% off!. Use code NCSCMD and pick the P20i.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
The Microstream AAA is also a good option.

Options are damned near endless. I’ve had about all the flavors, but for simplicity and not crying for losing one, the Microstreams are hard to beat.

I'll echo this. I've carried a Microstream AAA every day for a couple of years now. They're not expensive, they're easy (cheap) to feed, and easy to carry. It's a simple on-off light, there when you need it and not in the way when you don't.

Check your local Fastenal store -- you may find a bargain there, especially if your employer has a Fastenal account.

God bless America.

Posts: 13492 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olight Perun 2 on sale for under 100 right now. 2500 lumens max.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

YES --- And move quickly! 30% off today only!

LINK for 30% off!. Use code NCSCMD and pick the P20i.

Thanks for that. Just ordered one.

Seems like a quality light at a nice discount.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have a number of flashlights. Surefire, Fenix, Nitcore, and many others.

Just ordered this, with the 20% discount, less than $52.00 delivered.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fe...shlight-3000-lumens/

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NiteCore and OLight make some nice lights with 18650 batteries.

I carry one of each daily.
NiteCore P10 (would get the new GT model today) this is primarily carried for back up. It was my go to, until I got the OLight.
OLight S2R which has become my go to and gets pulled out of the pocket 95% of the time. Same size battery, but in a smaller package. USB magnetic charging. The end cap is magnetic, so you can hang it and go hands free.

I also use an OLight H1R headlamp daily. Light weight and handy as hell. I don't know how I got by all the years before I had it.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Hard to go wrong with the PD36R. Personally, I own a E03, E30R, and 2 PD35TAC.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/...argeable-flashlight/

I have the PD36R for close to a year now. Best light I have ever owned. The 21700 battery is awesome.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
This has been my EDC light for a while. It does everything I need in a pocket light.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/...Xj7FpuPkq-3MH6gzDcBs

The Fenix E12 is my favorite. I have 5 or 6, scattered around the house, truck, garage. One of them is the linked v.2 model. What makes it good in my mind is that a single click of the tail switch brings it on low, and one or two taps on the switch take it to medium and high. Since low is adequate most of the time, this is a battery saving feature. Another pocket light I have (a Pelican) comes on high every time. To get it to come on low, you have to start from off and quickly triple click the tail switch. To me, that is a battery wasting feature, and a pain in the ass.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I'd highly recommend checking out the Zebra Light SC64 series. It uses the 18650 rechargeable battery, I'd stick with that form factor as others have mentioned in this thread. You can customize the UI, I have mine set to crazy low, less than 1 lumen, for camping and another button push for max ouput. I will never get another flashlight without the option for a really low setting, it's a very underrated feature in my opinion.

Zebra Light

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Fenix LD12. Multi-mode but you can set it to come on with any of them (no need to "scroll through" low, med, high, etc.) I carry mine with a 14500 rechargeable but it will accept a single AA battery also. It's an expensive choice for me only because other than the one actually in my pocket, the lights seem to keep wandering away to family and friends.

Slight thread drift: The Aimpoint sight and Scoutlight on my rifle are also fed by AAs. There is basically nowhere in North America that AA batteries can't be purchased 24 hours per day or "scavenged" from other devices in a pinch.

Posts: 2461 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.
Wife was fishing for some Christmas ideas, so I sent her a few of the ones on here.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
10+ year fan of single AA EDC lights...

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
For pocket carry I alternate between Surefire Titan Plus AAA rechargeable eneloop battery, Surefire Titan AAA rechargeable eneloop battery, and the Strealight Microstream AAA rechargeable eneloop battery, and a Foursevens Preon AAA rechargeable eneloop battery. For in a go bag that goes with me everywhere, I use a Surefire EDCL1T single Cr123A battery 500 lumen. I highly recommend any of these.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Want to save some money? How about two for $10.

They sell these under a variety of names. I've had one for years. They work, and you won't kick yourself too much if you lose or break it (and you'll have a spare anyway.)

https://www.amazon.com/Flashli...ronics%2C158&sr=8-10

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second Perceptions "Emisar D4V2" choice. Using the same interface is the EDC18 except it has a magnet. I got one for my wife so that it sticks to the van roof and she can read when we are camping.

So many good choices these days, many noted upthread. 18650 battery is the way to go IMO, just take care of it, keep it charged to spec and buy quality cells. (sanyo, Samsung, Sony, LG etc)

If you want to really get some great info: head over to BLF https://budgetlightforum.com/recent-posts

Type EDC18 into the "search" window for many reviews of that light.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Quark QK2A MKIII (2XAA) ($75) + 1 AA body ($15).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm late to the party, but I was gifted a Convoy C8, and it has been a fantastic light. Super bright, but the bell may be a tad bigger than you're wanting for EDC. As a truck console size carry-along, it rocks! Oh, and costs about $20...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am a bit surprised how expensive the Olight line is. I did not see anything that was hands down better or unique over Fenix and quite a bit more expensive. Fwiw.

The Fenix LD15R rechargeable might be my next light.

Update: Ordered the LD15R, was $43 shipped with discount and holiday code and free shipping. Comes with a rechargeable battery and usb charging cable. Outstanding. Thanks Fenix!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post