SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's a good bike lock?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a good bike lock? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
What's a good lock for a bicycle? I don't want to spend more than $50 or so, but I also don't want something that can be cut in 10 seconds. Any suggestions

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Most bike locks these days are made of Chineesium, and are easily defeated. Unfortunately, there is no fool proof design. If its out there, somebody has found a way to defeat it. Chains are really easy to cut.

I recommend a U-lock type lock, as they are difficult to cut with a bolt cutter. But then you have to do something to secure the front tire.

Just remember, bike locks are like safes. With the right tools and enough time, every one can be defeated. What you should be looking for is a lock that takes more tools and time than the other bikes that are locked up next to it.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
With a good U-lock you can grab the front tire, the down tube and the ring of the bike post.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 7 bicycles, and have never purchased a lock that could not be defeated in under 45 seconds

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There are YT videos showing how to defeat a U-bolt bike lock with a ball point pen. I believe Kryptonite issued an advisory on this a few years back, I don't know if they changed their lock design, but I tried the ball point technique on mine and was unsuccessful in opening it (admittedly, I am not very good at picking locks).

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Kryptonite for me. I believe they redesigned their U-locks a couple years ago.

I have a U-lock and cable lock myself. When I was at my mother in laws house a few months ago, I had to leave my bike outside so I chained it, 3/8" thick chain with master locks to the tree in the back that is about 2' thick. A motion based light covered that area plus the dogs have incredible hearing.

quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Just remember, bike locks are like safes. With the right tools and enough time, every one can be defeated. What you should be looking for is a lock that takes more tools and time than the other bikes that are locked up next to it.

H&K-Guy

This is great advice here.

It's all about making yourself a harder target and securing your bike in layers.

Thieves know very well which bikes are the name brand ones that cost more than the big box store bikes.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Kryptonite New York Bike lock

18mm thick. $75 though..

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
There are YT videos showing how to defeat a U-bolt bike lock with a ball point pen. I believe Kryptonite issued an advisory on this a few years back, I don't know if they changed their lock design, but I tried the ball point technique on mine and was unsuccessful in opening it (admittedly, I am not very good at picking locks).

This was fixed years ago and they are now using laser cut keys. Their new u-locks are also double sided no turn, like ABUS locks. This is so a single cut does not free 1/2 of the lock.

You should determine what your security needs are first. Downtown and campus life require better locks like armored cables, u-locks, and hardened chains. The ones which cost twice as much as another look alike, are better. $45-$70-100-150 for good better best, and NY City.

If you make them small you need to secure front wheel. If you make them lighter, they are more expensive. Chains can be made longer and offer flexibility. Long chains are heavy. Cheap chains can be cut quickly.

Thieves can cut many types of locks providing they have the right tool. Where you park may make a huge difference. Prev post about having a better lock than the bikes around you is true.

After all that if you are in the burbs, lock short periods of time in low risk areas, you can use a cable which is light weight, inexpensive and easy to carry. Keeps honest people honest.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2004 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They say that on a scale of 1-10, u locks run 7 to 9 and cable locks run @2. The more you spend the more secure the lock typically is. I still use a cable lock on occasion as it's so conienant. I am more cautious about when and where I use it now.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

The one I have from the 80s has a cylindrical lock. It opens with the outer tube from a bic pen in seconds. I would hope the design has changed in the last 30 years.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can find the Kryptonite New York series on Amazon for $65. Some of the offers come with a cable that you can use for accessories, or loop through your seat. Performance Bicycle ought to have their end of season sale, as should REI pretty soon, so you may be able to hit your budget number. I lock my bike in front of the supermarket, or a the windows at my gym, and still worry that when I get back it will be gone.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
make your own? Get those hardened steel chains they use for trucks going through ice and a big ass lock.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post