SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone aquainted with "Shadyrays" sunglasses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone aquainted with "Shadyrays" sunglasses Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
If the onsite hype is believed they are a good/quality replacement for most of the top brands. With a very reasonable affordable price. And lifetime lost or destroyed warranty ? And wait there's more, they feed the poor! Seems too good to be true. Any customers here ? If for real I will be trying a pair.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I ordered a pair. They were junk. I think I threw them away.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have never worn, nor do I ever intend to wear sunglasses. But, purely as a matter of curiosity, what makes sunglasses "quality" or "junk?" I understand there is a significant amount of personal preferences and fashion aspects involved, but I'm looking more for measurable things that make one pair fit into one or the other category.

Posts: 6447 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Quality or junk seems self evident to me. Are they well made, do thy do what they are supposed to do. Do they hold up to use? Hence my questions.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I have never worn, nor do I ever intend to wear sunglasses. But, purely as a matter of curiosity, what makes sunglasses "quality" or "junk?" I understand there is a significant amount of personal preferences and fashion aspects involved, but I'm looking more for measurable things that make one pair fit into one or the other category.

I wear sunglasses quite often as my eyes are very light sensitive. Figured that out pretty quick when I was working outside 10-13 hours per day and was getting headaches which was not something I ever had an issue with until working outside.

That aside, junk is a matter of personal experience and I have none with Shady Rays. I do have two pair of Costas though, one Zaine model and the other is a Brine model. Never again, both fell apart inside of a year and I don’t want to hear anything about their warranty. That should not happen on a pair of sunglasses that cost in the ballpark of $200.

I dropped it down a couple of notches and went with a mid level pair of Oakleys. Think I gave around $60 for them while they were on special at Amazon and couldn’t be happier.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I have two pair and they are fine, nowhere near junk but also not top quality either. Last I heard the promo code SUMMER gets you half off.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2244 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Light blocking / shading effectiveness
Clarity of the optics
Fit
Comfort
Quality of the frame and lens
Polarized lens as an option if desired

With sunglasses as with many things, you usually get what you pay for (and sometimes you don’t). Some top brands including ‘fashion’ brand names, you are also paying for the name imho.

I have worn Serengeti sunglasses for many years, glass lenses with excellent clarity and light blocking, but I recently bought a couple of pairs of Oakley’s from Woot (thanks for the heads-up SIGforum) and have been impressed with them and like them a lot.

Is a $200 or $250 pair of Maui Jim’s that much better than one of the $55 dollar Oakley‘s I just bought on sale? I do not know as I am not likely to buy a $200 pair of sunglasses.

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
quote:

Light blocking / shading effectiveness
Clarity of the optics
Fit
Comfort
Quality of the frame and lens
Polarized lens as an option if desired

With sunglasses as with many things, you usually get what you pay for (and sometimes you don’t). Some top brands including ‘fashion’ brand names, you are also paying for the name imho.

I have worn Serengeti sunglasses for many years, glass lenses with excellent clarity and light blocking, but I recently bought a couple of pairs of Oakley’s from Woot (thanks for the heads-up SIGforum) and have been impressed with them and like them a lot.

Is a $200 or $250 pair of Maui Jim’s that much better than one of the $55 dollar Oakley‘s I just bought on sale? I do not know as I am not likely to buy a $200 pair of sunglasses.

ADD: Blocking UV to the list up above as well.

I am a Yacht Captain and out on the water many days for 10 + hours a day where you get the sunlight from above and reflecting off of the water. Also salt is hard on lens coatings. In my situation, Maui Jim's seem to be the only ones that last and do a good job at protecting my eyes and what I use. Oakley's give me a headache after a while as many of their models aren't optically correct. Costa Del Mar's USED to be very good up until around 2005, then their quality dropped a few notches and they simply don't last like they used to, so I switched to Maui's right around 2005.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post