SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fifty years ago today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fifty years ago today Login/Join 
posted
Fifty years ago today rode the bus from Charlotte induction center on my way to Ft. Bragg to begin the military adventure.

Drafted and being prepared for my senior trip.It gets very hot in July and August in the NC sand hills. A few days in they put a small tv in a barracks window and wee watched the moon landing. Could barely see but was inspirational.

After all this time still in touch with three of my Basic Training buds. Two close ones never made it back from Nam.

The military made a man out of me.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
awesome - good memories I'm sure, bad memories no doubt

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was already in the Army under the 120 Delay enlistment program. Due to report to Ft Fix on Sept 23, 1969 for Basic Training.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You Sir are a real American Hero. Thank You for what you have done for our Country. Puppies are awesome.

Posts: 28 | Location: MS | Registered: May 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I had just gotten released from my 2 year obligation in the Army. Got to watch all of the Apollo coverage. Exciting time for me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Thx for your service!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
God Bless you, Gene!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I’m living those “nice summer days” in N.C. right now!

Thank you for your service especially during that time

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post