SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arizona members
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arizona members Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Anybody heard from or seen John McCain lately?

I tried doing a somewhat cursory Google search and can't find anything that actually shows him speaking and/or acting like a coherent person since last year.

I am concerned that this man is incapable of carrying on his duties as a United States Senator at this point and that his votes are in fact being made by others. This is worrisome given that there is a rather important upcoming vote that could go either way on one vote.

Can anyone confirm that he is, in fact, still coherent? And if not, why are residents of Arizona not screaming to high heaven that they are not being represented by two Senators?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
McCain's most recent vote was on 12/2/17 for HR1, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. They said on the news that he's been in Arizona in treatment for his cancer since that time.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the media has been quiet and strangely enough I haven't heard a gurgle

I'm glad he's not talking

I'm waiting for him to just die

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
His office issued a statement Monday late, or Tuesday indicating approval of Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination.

https://www.washingtonexaminer...inee-brett-kavanaugh

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
His office issued a statement Monday late,

No offense to you, but I'd much rather hear a statement from him, televised, so the world can see whether or not he is capable of carrying on his duties. A statement from "his office" is meaningless. His maid could have written that.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
I believe his daughter tweeted a pic on 4jul.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
His office issued a statement Monday late,

No offense to you, but I'd much rather hear a statement from him, televised, so the world can see whether or not he is capable of carrying on his duties. A statement from "his office" is meaningless. His maid could have written that.

No offense. He has been in public office for ~40 years, and has Senate employees to draft such statements for his approval.

The world can do nothing about it, whether he is or is not capable of carrying out his office. His term runs until 2022.

He may die, and can resign as he sees fit before then.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Hell, he could be dead for all we know. A picture tweeted by his daughter and statements from his office about the SCOTUS nominee don't equate to him being alive or capable of performing his duties. Of course, I don't think there is a mechanism for removing an incapacitated Senator, either at the Federal or State level. The last I heard about his condition was that he was in physical therapy - how that helps with brain cancer is somewhat beyond me.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
He's going to pull an El Cid and vote yes. Worry not.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yes, he will personally save the Republic, and all the history books will record that last patriotic act as the culmination of his career. Roll Eyes

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps no statements/appearances by McLame is a good thing!!! His ego won't let him resign the post, as he wants all the "glory" of a warrior senator's funeral. Believe me, MANY Az. residents wish that McCain would either resign or die so that the Gov. can choose a Trump friendly, and Az. friendly, replacement in the senate.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

How many years did you spend being tortured in a prison camp while serving your country?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
He's going to pull an El Cid and vote yes. Worry not.

Yea, just like when he voted NO to kill Obama Care after saying he would vote yes. I don't like or trust Songbird McCain.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

How many years did you spend being tortured in a prison camp while serving your country?
I'm not sure either of those comments are helpful. The latter one has very little relevance to any actions of Sen. McCain since he entered public office. I think it's possible to recognize and sympathize with the hardships Sen. McCain endured as a POW and also possible to object to his positions and actions as a Senator.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Hell, he's not doing any harm. Leave him alone to die a traitor's death.
RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm not sure either of those comments are helpful. The latter one has very little relevance to any actions of Sen. McCain since he entered public office. I think it's possible to recognize and sympathize with the hardships Sen. McCain endured as a POW and also possible to object to his positions and actions as a Senator.

flashguy

The latter is quite relevant. I do not agree with everything McCain (or many other) politicians have to say, and often, with the way they vote. He is, however, an elected official with broad base support among his constituency. Moreover, if anyone has a right to express an opinion regarding the path of the country, it's a man who remains disfigured to this day for his service.

One of my favorite quotes, attributed to Voltaire, Emerson, and others, is that one may not agree with what a man has to say, but will defend with his life that man's right to say it. It's foundational to who we are, and it's deeply offensive to hover like a vulture, in the hopes of a man's death, simply because one doesn't care for his comments.

I don't agree with some of McCain's choices, politics, or some of his business dealings. Never the less, I'd defend with my life his right to say it, and he certainly defended your right, with his own life, and paid a terrible price. That's pretty damn relevant. You have a right to speak your mind because the constitution guarantees it.

He more than earned the same accord.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
and it's deeply offensive to hover like a vulture, in the hopes of a man's death,

I am doing nothing of the sort. I simply want to know whether or not the man is mentally competent to carry out his duties. I don't believe that he is. Those who I have seen with his type of cancer are being spoon-fed jello, drooling, shitting themselves, and babbling incoherently by this time...if not dead. I don't believe that it is right or just that his body continues to occupy a seat while his mind is gone. Particularly when we need every single vote we can get in the Senate. It is unfair to the country and it is unfair to the citizens of Arizona that they are not represented by two competent Senators.

No, I don't wish for the man's death, despite the fact that it is coming soon (if it hasn't already happened). But, I most certainly will not shed a tear nor lose a second's worth of sleep over it. He has been a slimy snake his entire life with only one goal...looking out for himself. And that includes his time in Hanoi. You might read some testimonials from those who were imprisoned with him to see how they feel about the good Senator.

Honorable service are not the first two words that come to mind.

You might also try to explain how the man became a multi-millionaire off of a salary of only $174K/yr. It certainly wasn't through honest dealings and virtue I can tell you that.

You can fellate the man all you want, but he is garbage now and always has been.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
and the piece of garbage reared his head today to tell Trump what he has to do before he should meet with Putin

the nerve of the guy

what an asshole - he still has to get his mouth out there to remain relevant

he needs to crawl back under his rock

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post