SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How soon is too soon to get another dog? Update on pg 2 with pic
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How soon is too soon to get another dog? Update on pg 2 with pic Login/Join 
posted
We lost Roscoe last week to cancer, and it’s left a huge hole in our hearts. Even though we have three other dogs the house feels empty. It’s not all sadness, the other dogs are playing and doing their thing, but nevertheless it feels empty here. Roscoe was just such a big part of our lives and it sucks so bad that he’s now gone.

There’s a breeder here in the area that breeds boxers and we’ve wanted a dog from him for a while now. He’s expecting a litter in mid-July with the puppies ready to go home in September and he’s starting to take deposits from a few people. He said he would take one from us, but normally waits for most deposits until after the puppies are born. There’s also another breeding planned for a litter later this year as well. He usually only does one or two breedings a year. He does it to better the breed, it’s not a money maker for him and that’s a big reason why we want one of his puppies.

I feel bad in a way for even thinking about getting another puppy right now because it almost feels like I’m betraying Roscoe...but I miss the boxer energy in the house. I badly want another goofball who always seems to know what to do to make us laugh. But I don’t want to feel like he’s a replacement, because nobody can ever replace Roscoe.

So how soon is too soon to get another dog after losing one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Largefarva,

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
There's a dog out there that needs a good home. It's never too soon.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people have a puppy on deck when the older dog is still alive and healthy. There are no rules.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think a new puppy will just remind you of Roscoe while he makes his own place in your hearts.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss. Your love for Roscoe won't diminish with the addition of another dog, and he knows that. And, you wont stop grieving - but will find a little more joy in your day. Good luck and enjoy.

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The answer is “never”. When I lost my sweet pit bull way back in 2002, I wondered the same thing. A week later, while working in the yard, I turned around to see a beagle mix stray that had found me. She was with us for 13 years after that day.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My concern would be more focused on getting the right dog, as long as you feel ready. I wouldn’t know which that dog that is until seeing and interacting first.
We found our most recent addition by watching the rescue pages. No telling what you might find.
We found an 11 month old Australian Shepherd that an older couple had bought before realizing they made a mistake at their age. The dog was from a great breeder, looked just like the one we had just lost, and got along well with our other dogs.
Since you have time, don’t rule it out.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I lost my Best Boy Hogan earlier this year. Like you, my heart was broken and I wondered when I'd be ready for another dog. I knew I'd have another dog but I told myself to wait for the right dog.

About two months later my wife tells me about an abandoned puppy a friend of ours had dumped on her. She could not keep the dog and had posted on Facebook seeking a home for this pup.

I made all the grumbling noises that husbands and fathers are supposed to make when asked to go "look" at a puppy but I secretly hoped this would be a Good Dog.

SHE (I really wanted a male) was a TINY (too young to be separated from its mother I thought) little hound of some sort with a tail that looked about a mile long.

As luck would have it, she adopted me. My Girl. She is some sort of Black and Tan hound and the vet says she will probably end up somewhere around 50 pounds.

She comes running when she hears my voice and cries while I am in the shower. I am lucky to be able to bring her to work with me several days a week.

I say keep your eyes and ears (heart) open for your next Best Friend; they'll find you.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
That’s a personal decision only you can answer.

Last time for me was a year.

There’s no right or wrong answer.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Over my lifetime I have had to put lots of dogs down. Each and every one became my best friend. It's never to soon to replace them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. It is NEVER easy to lose a beloved pet.

As far as "How Soon?" The answer, IMO, is: Anywhere between right now and 100 years. It's all up to you. I cannot tell you how long to wait.

You aren't betraying the memory of your previous dog by getting another one. I miss my two Bassets dearly (in my avatar), and I think of them often. I also cannot conceive of life now without my two dogs that we got after they were gone (Golden Retriever and Goldendoodle).

Our pets are never 'gone,' they are just waiting for us on the other side of the bridge. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

Absolutely this. After our Caleb died we knew we’d get another dog. One day a few weeks later a cute shelter pup was featured in the local paper and my wife had to go look. We didn’t get that dog because the one lying beside me on the porch right now suckered me in like a pro.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

...shelter pup was featured in the local paper and my wife had to go look. We didn’t get that dog because the one lying beside me on the porch right now suckered me in like a pro.

I agree that it's never too early. Once I'm ready for another one I will get him/her from the shelter - too many good dogs there that need a good home.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
We use to wait 6 or more months, ( miserable months). We decided the last few dogs, not to wait, but rescued our new dogs within weeks of passing of a dog. They will never replace the pup that was lost, but it will make the pain you feel in your heart, hurt a little less. This time of year the shelters are overfilled, as people don’t want to pay to board their pets, when they go on vacation, they justturn them in to the shelter. (Similar to the Xmas time dumping). Please consider it, you will be saving a life.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we lost our rescue dachshund of 14 years, it took about 3 weeks for my wife to start looking. That little guy got us hooked on these short dogs, we ended up taking two brothers from a breeder. Waiting for them to get 8-9 weeks old was a struggle, but totally worth it. Some might caution against getting two brothers from a litter, but these two have been great with each other.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
With as many dogs as there are who need a home, you actually show honor to Roscoe's love and devotion to you by providing a loving home to another.

There is no time limit on application of love.

And you will find, there is "undeveloped land" in your heart, for the new dog to build upon.

We will be expecting pics and such.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would Roscoe say? I bet he'd be all over the idea and the new puppy.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
So how soon is too soon to get another dog after losing one?

Only you can answer that.
It's been almost two years since we lost our Boxer to liver failure.
We are looking now.
It is so painful with the loss and not wanting that feeling again can make you pause.
The joy while they are here is amazing but when they leave you it almost unbearable.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
We had to put down our beloved Golden Mac om a Saturday. On Sunday I contacted a breeder who had A puppy that was ready to go, we picked him up later that day. We were without a dog for 23 hours. Too long in my opinion. A puppy will not replace the dog you lost, but the antics of a new puppy will fill in some of that whole in your heart.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
With losing our Catahoula Luke this week, it'll be a while for us.
I agree that it's a person-by-person basis. We both agree that it'll be a while before we get another.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post