SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What hard to find candy bar or candy do you enjoy?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What hard to find candy bar or candy do you enjoy? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Since candy is everywhere right now, I got to thinking about hard to find candy and candy bars, even though I rarely eat any these days.

What are some hard to find candy bars or candy that you enjoy? This isn’t about the stuff you can find everywhere like regular Snickers and Reeses, but hard (or impossible) to find stuff.

For me, at least for hard to find candy, I love Zagnut. It is very hard to find here in Michigan at any major outlet. I see it in gas stations in Tennessee, but never here unless I go to specialty candy shops or Cracker Barrel. When I get one at the specialty candy store, most of my friends here have no idea what a Zagnut is, even when I mention the Beetlejuice scene.

As to discontinued candies/candy bars:

Snickers Cruncher from the late 90s/early 00s was one of my favorites, particularly in the miniature form. The newly released version is not the same.

I just discovered Brach’s neopolitan coconut candies are no longer made. Loved those too. They were in the bulk candy section of the grocery store and if I had a nickel for the box, I’d grab one as a kid.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Mars bars. They haven’t been around in a long time. The rumor is that Snickers with almonds is the same thing. But I’m sure the nougat is different. I think the Mars bar had a white nougat while the snickers has a softer chocolate nougat. I also don’t recall a caramel layer in the Mars bar.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
You can still buy coffee Nips as far as I know, but I remember getting licorice Nips as a kid and loved them. Haven't seen those in years.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Necco Wafers

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, Sugus was popular, as well as Bitohoney. Haven’t seen either for years

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I don't eat candy anymore, but I do remember eating Big Hunk bars as a kid. I loved those things. I haven't seen one in many years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Mallow Cups—
Everywhere I look doesn’t carry them. Guess I’ll keep looking. Funny thing is o don’t like marshmallows. But something about that combo is right. At least I remember it being that way.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Chick O Stick. Even if you find them, they're not like they were back then.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Real licorice.

Australia and a few European countries still make some passable licorice.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Mallow Cups—
Everywhere I look doesn’t carry them. Guess I’ll keep looking. Funny thing is o don’t like marshmallows. But something about that combo is right. At least I remember it being that way.

I found some at the local Cracker Barrel. Bought a couple packs but was disappointed that they weren't as good as I remembered them being.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Real licorice.

Australia and a few European countries still make some passable licorice.

My wife found Wiley Wallaby black licorice at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. It is excellent.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My Dad loved black licorice but hated the artificial stuff. He finally found Panda brand licorice. They’re still available, if you’re looking.

As for myself, add me to the Bit-O-Honey group.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Mackintosh's Toffee bars. Growing up I would always stock up anytime I went to Canada as it was not available in the US.

Even hard to find in Canada these days and when you do it isn't the same. Softer chewy single pieces or a really thin bar. Not the "slab" in a cardboard box like it used to be. If it was warm and you had a strong jaw you could bite off a chunk. Better to just smack it on the counter and it would shatter into small pieces.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Russell Stover pectin jelly beans. They're still being made but near impossible to find in stores.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Zagnut.

I had a MalloCup just this week! Wow, it sure packs a sugar rush!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
late 1950s style "Idaho Spud bar"

loosely egg shaped chocolate coating with ?tiny coconut gravel, with a two-chamber interior surrounding a ?nugate center.

They revived them about 30 years ago for a period of time. Either they were very different or my memory drifted.

Can't eat any of it these days anyway.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet and sour skittles. I just cant find them anymore. I also love sour jelly bellys. They're not so hard to find but I think a bag of cocaine is cheaper.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Clark Bars. They are my ultimate favorite candy, but they are very difficult to find locally. The only place I've found them is at Fry's Electronics stores.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Zagnut and sixlets

also if it's made I bet you can get it.
https://www.oldtimecandy.com

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
The Marathon bar (caramel strands, woven together, and covered in chocolate) came out when I was a kid and it quickly became one of my favorites. I would freeze them and then, since they were long and thin, pop them on the countertop to break them into a great number of pieces that would slowly melt in my mouth. Mars discontinued it about the time I graduated from high school.

Cadbury has since come out with the Wurly Curly Bar, an almost exact duplicate. They're available on Amazon.

https://www.bulkcandystore.com...es-the-marathon-bar/

I recall Zagnut, too, but don't remember seeing one since I was a kid.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post