SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nitro Fill tires. Real or hype?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nitro Fill tires. Real or hype? Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted
I recently picked up a new car.
It came with OEM tires but filled with nitrogen, and has a one year warranty on free nitro fillups. Supposedly, nitrogen is much more stable than atmospheric air, with less moisture being introduced into the tire, and less temperature-induced pressure variances.

Can anyone confirm the legitimacy of this? Or is it just snake oil? Our air is already 78% nitrogen.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Doesn't mean a damn thing

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
In theory yes there is a slight benefit to filling with nitrogen as the molecules are slightly bigger so the tires will leak slower and the gas itself is inert. This is beneficial if your driving an F1 car...

BUT for us mere mortals there is no practical difference.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
That's what I figured.
The salesman made a big deal out of it.
I was just like, 'here's the bottom line, gimme the car for this price or I'm walkin.' "

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Remember our atmosphere is 78% nitrogen so how much does that other 22% really matter in day to day driving.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
That's what I figured.
The salesman made a big deal out of it.
I was just like, 'here's the bottom line, gimme the car for this price or I'm walkin.' "
They put that undercoat on at the factory, y'know...

Oh yah? Yah

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Depends.

Normal day to day joe-shmoe duty, you will not notice a difference.

But, in rapidly changing conditions when the tires are being thrashed to their limits, a nitro fill will be more stable and consistent WRT pressure changes from temperature swings, high level drivers can feel this.

Having said that, I still use normal compressed air when at the track. When you race you should be monitoring tire pressure anyway, irregardless.

I see the nitro thing as just another high performance application being twisted to squeeze
money out of shmoes when they do their highly infrequent minimal maintenance.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I believe that in extreme cold weather (like Alaska cold) nitrogen is preferred because it is temperature stable and inert. Not sure what benefit it would be outside of that environment.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Costco has been filling with nitrogen for years, decades maybe, no extra charge.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Only works if you get the fabric protection and have the VIN engraved on all your windows...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Depends.

But, in rapidly changing conditions when the tires are being thrashed to their limits, a nitro fill will be more stable and consistent WRT pressure changes from temperature swings, high level drivers can feel this.

Having said that, I still use normal compressed air when at the track. When you race you should be monitoring tire pressure anyway, irregardless.

I see the nitro thing as just another high performance application being twisted to squeeze

really? I thought PV=nRT, no matter what the gas is.

Straight nitrogen fill, depending on source, might exclude some water vapor, and that is probably helpful. But, if the fill is all "gas", whether N, O, He or dry air, I'd expect it to react to temperature changes the exact same as 78% N.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
great sales pitch

sounds cool

meaningless, and any benefit is absolutely imperceptible to us mere mortals

if you were a mass spec looking at leaks, it may be important, but probably not. Air has 1% Argon which is inert as well....

hype

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Just horse shit,plain old air has served me for all my adult life
Damn I am old,first car in 55

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Just snake oil.

Posts: 2676 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Perhaps for very demanding situations, straight N is a real benefit for vehicles. I do know when I worked at an airport, and helped the A&P mechanics do annuals, service work, or handled requests from customers to check their aircraft tires, we used super pure straight Nitrogen for all aircraft tires.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
What kind of car?

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
As my grandma used to say: "their advertisement says it's very good".

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Depends.

really? I thought PV=nRT, no matter what the gas is.

Straight nitrogen fill, depending on source, might exclude some water vapor, and that is probably helpful. But, if the fill is all "gas", whether N, O, He or dry air, I'd expect it to react to temperature changes the exact same as 78% N.

Here we go. Compressed air has a lot of dirt and moisture in it. Dirt and water are not gas. As the proportions vary, so can the pressure variance. Is it enough for a non F1 driver to notice? No.

Im not advocating the service as you have read already. If you want to get more esoteric feel free though. It's fun to argue over minutiae for some people.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if we are talking a street car it doesn't matter. At the track (or in your airplane) its a different story. Its mostly about moisture. A typical air system is filled with it and you don't want it in your tires. It's used lots in racing applications and I would recommend it in applications where tire temp or rise in tire temp is important (I race motorcycles, but the same applies for cars).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fill my tires with helium. It's like riding on a cloud! Big Grin

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post