SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The boss walks free.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The boss walks free. Login/Join 
posted
Bruce Springsteen's criminal record won't show any guilty plea to driving under the influence -- because the Boss just struck a deal with prosecutors.

Springsteen pled guilty to only one misdemeanor count of consuming alcohol in a closed area. He admitted to drinking at the Gateway National Recreational Area -- a federal property, where booze is forbidden.

The other charges he was facing -- DWI and reckless driving -- were dismissed by prosecutors ... who said, in court, his BAC was well below the legal limit at .02, so they felt they couldn't prove their case.
According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Bruce was glassy-eyed, swaying and reeked of booze when he was arrested.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Got name, got money, got off.

Posts: 9040 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Gee. A rich prominent Democrat can't get prosecuted in New York, even though he's from New Jersey, when the cops catch him dead to rights. Now how'd that happen? Roll Eyes

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

Isn't this the truth. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Does this mean that Jeep is going to start running that insufferable ad again?

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Does this mean that Jeep is going to start running that insufferable ad again?

Yeah I'm surprised they took that path, the Gen X movement into marketing and social advertising has really fucked up some companies approach.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
No big story and I do not think it only happens to rich, liberal celebs. I work with a guy that has gotten pulled over three times for being under the influence of alcohol, he is a common blue collar worker. He got off all three times, the last one cost him I think close to 20 grand (they even had a blood test showing his BAC so I thought he was going to do some jail time) but his lawyer knew the judge and he went free.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't think Prosecutors in NYC buy those $2M homes on a 70K year salary, do you?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He tested significantly under the per se limit. Anybody would have gotten this deal.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:

and a supporter of the current administration

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
He tested significantly under the per se limit. Anybody would have gotten this deal.

Of course.

Seriously, why do some of you believe that he deserves a driving under the influence conviction when there is no evidence of that?

I despise the man, but he wasn't going to be convicted at trial for dwi. .02, ridiculous.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Um, guys? Compare the reported BAC to the information from the police report cited in the last line of the OP.

I don't know about your states, but here having a BAC under the limit is not considered conclusive since different people have different tolerances for alchohol. If your BAC is over a certain limit, you're considered legally drunk. If your BAC is under that limit but the police can testify that you're "glassy-eyed, swaying and reek[ing]" of booze, the prosecutor can (and almost certainly will) hale you before a court and try to convince a jury that you were driving under the influence.

Assuming, of course, that the reported BAC is reported accurately. Wink

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Um, guys? Compare the reported BAC to the information from the police report cited in the last line of the OP.

I don't know about your states, but here having a BAC under the limit is not considered conclusive since different people have different tolerances for alchohol. If your BAC is over a certain limit, you're considered legally drunk. If your BAC is under that limit but the police can testify that you're "glassy-eyed, swaying and reek[ing]" of booze, the prosecutor can (and almost certainly will) hale you before a court and try to convince a jury that you were driving under the influence.

I served on a fed trial where the US Attorney did charge the guy who was red eyed, allegedly non compliant, and had an open container in the car. The defendant tested at .03 a few hours post arrest and the expert witness math placed him at likely .07 at contact. He also tested for a negligible amount of weed and LSD in his system. He was outside the car when contact was made. The jury let the defendant walk on the DUI charge. We hooked him on two other charges but the DUI wasn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It was a tremendous waste of time and money.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
[H]is lawyer knew the judge and he went free.

Judges have great discretion and it’s not always the rich and famous who get breaks.
I once heard with my own ears a former judge tell another lawyer that he gave breaks to DUI defendants if they were represented by lawyers in court rather than trying to represent themselves.

We read here all the time about individuals who are arrested on felony charges time after time and yet continue to walk away with no significant penalties, and not even legal fees because they’re supposedly indigent. Why would we get spun up because some celebrity gets a pass for something far less serious? (And yes, DUI is serious but not quite as bad as crimes of violence, and especially not multiple crimes of violence.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Operating under liberal rules, not the ones the rest of us must adhere to.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I hate the prick as much as anybody but the evidence was very weak, IMO.
If you were pinched by the Po Po would you want to be convicted with that evidence?
Anyone can "say" glassy-eyed and smells but that isn't a solid foundation.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be the first time that a BAC test was conveniently delayed especially with his money and connections.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the report I heard was that Springsteen was on his bike and stopped in the park where some fans saw him and gave him a tequila shot. Apparently some cops observed this and pulled him over immediately after he got back on and left. If true seems pretty lame to me. I’m also no fan of his; I think some songs are pretty good but don’t own any of his music.

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a huge issue. The world continues to turn.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post