SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cyclist struck on Natchez Trace
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cyclist struck on Natchez Trace Login/Join 
posted

They caught the guy later. The Natchez Trace is a scenic drive, not a speedway. Glad to hear cyclist will recover.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I'm a cyclist. Guy shouldn't have been hit but tandem riding with a car behind on a double yellow line while uphill is being an ass.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Report This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
And probably illegal.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Also a cyclist.

Should the cyclist have been blocking the road - no.

Did that justify assault w/ a deadly weapon/attempted murder - also no.

I hope they throw the book at the driver.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I bet the Volvo driving asshole supported Hillary.

The legal system needs to sodomize him until he thinks he's been fucked by a freight train.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Did this driver intentionally hit the cyclists?

That will be the linchpin question.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
Also a cyclist.

That's a little much to call it attempted murder, or even assault. Looks more like he misjudged it. He should have stopped. Get him for fleeing the scene.

There is a d***head cycling group around here that does it pretty regular. They asked me to ride with them. I politely declined.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
Lots of fail in this one. Two cyclists riding tandem and blocking traffic, two cars passing in a no passing zone, apparent aggressive driving by the Volvo driver resulting in hitting the cyclist (he didn't need to move back over that soon). Don't know if the Volvo stopped around the bend, so possible hit and run.

So basically like any given weekend on the blue ridge parkway when I lived in Roanoke.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They caught the guy later. The Natchez Trace is a scenic drive, not a speedway. Glad to hear cyclist will recover.

Ugh. Exactly the reason I have a camera on my commuter bike. This guy obviously did this on purpose, maybe not to hit but to at least intimidate. I'm hoping he'll see some federal jail time. Mad

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Fair point.

That being said, 1) I have a hard time believing that the driver wasn't paying attention, given that someone (probably the pickup) just sounded their horn prior to the hit, 2) if you had just accidentally run over someone, potentially killing them, would you just drive off like nothing happened?

While plausible reasons could be given to counter my two points, I'm still leaning towards this was probably intentional.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Report This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know but I'd like to know why the fuck they didn't stop afterwards. I ride a lot, 3-4 times a week and this type of nonsense scares the shit out of me.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand why bikes are considered vehicles and are given the same treatment as cars/trucks/SUVs when they are anything but. I'd argue that they are more like pedestrians and should be treated as such.

With regard to this video, the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right" applies.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:

I don't know but I'd like to know why the fuck they didn't stop afterwards. I ride a lot, 3-4 times a week and this type of nonsense scares the shit out of me.

22 second video. Maybe I am missing something, is it possible they did stop?

Sometimes the videos don't show everything that occurs after the end.

And, no, it is not ok to run someone over under such circumstance.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whatever his intentions were, I don't think there was any intention to stop after hitting the cyclist. I don't think he even bothers to "think" about stopping since, from what I could tell, he never even touched his brakes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And, no, it is not ok to run someone over under such circumstance.

Long list of charges seem to indicate that he did not stop.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

There could be more to it, but the cyclist is hit at 15 seconds in and in the subsequent 7 seconds I'm not sure I see so much as a tap of the brakes.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
Also a cyclist.

That's a little much to call it attempted murder, or even assault. Looks more like he misjudged it. He should have stopped. Get him for fleeing the scene.

There is a d***head cycling group around here that does it pretty regular. They asked me to ride with them. I politely declined.

Got a shitload of bike riders around here that ride 2&3 abreast on the highways. Speed limit on one is 55, another in our neighborhood is posted at 50.

I ride a bike for exercise, I do NOT ride on the road. They have miles of asphalted bike and running trails, at least 5 feet wide wherever I have ridden.

How about charges against the bike rider?

Glad the rider was not hurt, but his conduct did not assure him that nothing would happen.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
This was shared on our bike club Facebook page. The Volvo did not stop but the video got a good shot of the license plate so they were able to track him down later. According to the guy that posted the video, an eyewitness said that the Volvo tried to run another cyclist over the week before. This guy is in some big time trouble. Also, if you have ever ridden the Trace, it is a scenic route (as someone mentioned earlier) and is federal property. Cyclists ride it all the time. The speed limit averages 45 and is not posted over 50. In a quiet section like the one they were riding in, riding abreast happens quite a bit without incident. No, this asshole had an axe to grind.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here's a news story about the video.

I hope the guy gets years in jail for that the rider is insanely lucky. That is one of many reasons I don't ride in the road. I don't care if it's "allowed", I'm not risking my life.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I can't believe the cyclist got up and was walking around.

Not stopping after you hit someone shows the type of person this was driving that was driving the car.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac