SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Fran area members, a question or two
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Fran area members, a question or two Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
R0gue, email me and let me tell you about the great non-tourist places to go. I have been taking friends and family on my own tour for more than 35 years now. Let me share with you these secret places that none of the tourists know about.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
R0gue, email me and let me tell you about the great non-tourist places to go. I have been taking friends and family on my own tour for more than 35 years now. Let me share with you these secret places that none of the tourists know about.

Can I get these secrets too? We live in the Central Valley and visit the city every couple years. We are about due.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
for whatever it is worth I'd trade one less day in SFO for a day on the Monterey Peninsula any day. In fact if I was planning 4 days in SFO i'd make it two in each place.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Not sure what your interests are, so take this with a grain of salt.

I'd disregard the hassle and congestion that is Chinatown unless you have some specific interest. If you want dim sum, go to Yank Sing in Rincon Center (but go early or expect to wait). It's pricey but above par for US dim sum.

Not too big on the Wharf or Lombard Street. Maybe just me but it's just cheap tourist trap stuff. Instead, plan for a nice leisurely morning walk along the Embarcadero between Pier 39 and down towards the Ferry Plaza (Building?) (Market Street). Grab a bit and some coffee at the market there.

I am a recurring visitor at the Legion of Honor. Nice museum - if you go to the Presidio, convenient. De Young and Asian Art Museums are nice too (but haven't been in years).

Angel Island is nice but I think that's a whole day thing -- I don't remember ferries being frequent. But some good history there if you get a tour.

There are places for nice walks on the beach (water is cold though). Chrissy Field beach is nice and convenient when at the Presidio. There is a Walt Disney Museum there as well.

As above, Monterey/Carmel are nice but far. If you go, I like the sea kayak rentals in Monterey Bay.

If you go to Napa, should visit Grgich. It's the winery that put Napa on the map. Good wines too. That sparkling wine place (Domain Chandon?) is relaxing for a taster flight.

^^^ All good advice. Yank Sing is **the best** dim sum in the city, but the Stevenson St location is an easy walk from Union Square.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
As it seems you'll have a vehicle, take a drive into the Berkeley hills (go up Fish Ranch Road) turn north on Grizzly Peak Blvd.

Stop at any of the turn outs for a great view of the Bay Area. Bonus for watching fog roll over SF at sunset.

Stop off with all the kids at the Lawrence Hall of Science while you are up there...

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/visit/exhibits

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The more I investigated, the more the costs were looking somewhat oppressive for a week long adventure. A big family = two rooms (and six airfare), and the areas in question are fairly pricey. Looked at alternative use of funds, (and mentioning it to the kiddos)... the vote at dinner tonight was a STRONG preference for hitting a whole bunch of coaster destinations locally -- Cedar Pointe, Hershey Park, Kennywood and Geauga Lake.

Thanks for all of the advice though gang. I'll get back out there one day. I love San Fran! ... or is it just that I love cable cars, good wine and Irish Coffee!? eh.. same thing! Smile

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Well, it IS salmon season.

Hop on a boat out of the wharf or go across the bridge to Sausalito and get on a boat out of Caruso's.

Halibut out of Emeryville in the Bay is good right now too.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post