SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Fran area members, a question or two
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Fran area members, a question or two Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Planning a trip out with my family in July. It appears that the Alcatraz tours are already sold out. Are there any avenues to score tickets through agencies or other companies other than direct from the park website?

The plan is 3 or 4 days in San Fran (Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Lombard street, Presidio, Bay cruise on a boat). Then a day in Napa, and off toward Yosemite for a two day loop. Rounding back to SFO for a redeye home. Am I missing any obvious "must-have" attractions?

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
do you bike? We had a blast renting bikes at the warf, biking across the GG bridge, and ending up in some little town on the North side and taking the ferry boat back (with the bikes)

Also, hiway 1 from SF to Santa Cruz is quite nice, as is Monterray, albeit a bit far perhaps.

Alcartaz was neat, but I didn't dig being on an indoor tour for hours. The best part are the photos you take of the city from the island, which can be done from Treasure Island or other places. Angel island is super cool and offers hiking.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Skip Alcatraz and hitch a ferry ride to Angel Island instead. Don't get me wrong the rock is a neat place to go but it is literally crumbling right in front of you and it is PACKED with people. If you want views of the city it's pretty hard to beat Angel Island. I would also consider two days in Napa instead of one, there is a lot to do there.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Skip Alcatraz and hitch a ferry ride to Angel Island instead. Don't get me wrong the rock is a neat place to go but it is literally crumbling right in front of you and it is PACKED with people. If you want views of the city it's pretty hard to beat Angel Island. I would also consider two days in Napa instead of one, there is a lot to do there.

I should clarify I'll be with 4 kids age 17, 15, 13, and 10. Hell, I'd spend 4 days in Napa if it was my wife and I. Is there something the kids would be interested in there? Maybe I can dump them at a move theater with a pocket full of cash and my wife and I can do wineries all day! Smile

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Buy a weekly pass for the cable cars. They get really busy, so you'll need to factor that into your plans, but you can't go to SF without riding them. Also, be sure to stop in at the free cable car museum near Nob hill (it's a cable car stop, so the conductor should announce it). Inside, you can see all the running machinery that pulls the cars along. You only need about 30 minutes to see everything.

A few years ago we took our kids to SF and walked across the Golden Gate bridge. We all enjoyed it - even though it was quite windy.

If you go to the presidio, you can check out the Walt Disney museum - if that kind of thing interests you. We spent about 4 hours inside, and still didn't see everything we wanted.

Have fun. We love San Francisco - in fact, I wish I was there right now!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived there 9 years. I used to enjoy Pier 39 a lot, and the Ghiradelli store. The sour dough is cool, if you care that's where Panera sourdough originates. If you get up to Vallejo there's Marine World Africa USA, a very nice animal park. They have a large butterfly house there with some exquisite butterflies. (I love them, but only the live versions.) If you want some unadulterated SF beach, go to the Esplanade. Bay Area Rapid Transit will get you around the whole area, probably runs past Livermore now. Also a good way to teach the kids subways, it's identical to the subway in Paris in operation, but a lot smaller. Have fun.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I went on the Alcatraz tour a couple of times and it was excellent. We bought the tickets in advance thru the Alcatraz folks, but if sold out, you can still get tickets bundled with other tours/activities from tour companies. It can be assumed that this method will be more expensive, but who knows? A tour on the Rock, coupled with a Segway city tour might interest your kids...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There used to be a re-enactment from the Civil War on Angel Island. You should look it up to see if it's still going on.

If you're dead set on a Alcatraz trip, I'd book it now rather than wait until the day. You're coming at the height of tourist season and a wait list might have formed.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure what your interests are, so take this with a grain of salt.

I'd disregard the hassle and congestion that is Chinatown unless you have some specific interest. If you want dim sum, go to Yank Sing in Rincon Center (but go early or expect to wait). It's pricey but above par for US dim sum.

Not too big on the Wharf or Lombard Street. Maybe just me but it's just cheap tourist trap stuff. Instead, plan for a nice leisurely morning walk along the Embarcadero between Pier 39 and down towards the Ferry Plaza (Building?) (Market Street). Grab a bit and some coffee at the market there.

I am a recurring visitor at the Legion of Honor. Nice museum - if you go to the Presidio, convenient. De Young and Asian Art Museums are nice too (but haven't been in years).

Angel Island is nice but I think that's a whole day thing -- I don't remember ferries being frequent. But some good history there if you get a tour.

There are places for nice walks on the beach (water is cold though). Chrissy Field beach is nice and convenient when at the Presidio. There is a Walt Disney Museum there as well.

As above, Monterey/Carmel are nice but far. If you go, I like the sea kayak rentals in Monterey Bay.

If you go to Napa, should visit Grgich. It's the winery that put Napa on the map. Good wines too. That sparkling wine place (Domain Chandon?) is relaxing for a taster flight.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume some tour company has an Alcatraz package you can pay an arm and leg for. I've spent most of my life here and been twice. Def informative and interesting to me but maybe ask the kids if they want to go. It's crowded and in a state of disrepair.

I'd skip Pier 39. It's the definition of tourist trap.

Chinatown is fun.

Union Square and surrounding shopping areas have everything you have at home and a bunch you might not. Don't wander too far because it quickly turns into skid row.

Fort Point is at a the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge and is a cool old fort.

The USS Hornet is across the bay in Alameda.

The Ferry Building at the foot of Market St. is good for food. The cable car dead ends nearby.

I know it's July but bring layers. SF is micro climate central and you need to be prepared for the typical cold and foggy summer mornings and nights.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely spend more time at Yosemite than in SF, if that was a option. 3-4 days is too much IMO.

Muir woods was nice to see, everything else seems to have been covered.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Muir Woods.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second Muir Woods. Beautiful spot, many hiking trails. Some of the trails have a view of the ocean when you reach the top.

https://www.nps.gov/goga/learn...un-at-muir-woods.htm

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Two days in Yosemite isn't nearly enough. I'll be there in mid July also for about a week.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'd agree 3-4 days in San Francisco is too much; lots to do in environs; not only Napa but Sonoma County, which has a coast (not really beaches).

Your kids are about the right age to enjoy the Exploratorium science museum. It's a blast for grown-ups, too.

Marine World was mentioned above, but it's changed to a Six Flags amusement park, not different from many others, so I'd not recommend it.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My wife and I spent Easter weekend kicking around the city. There was a great farmers market on pier 39 Saturday. Food vendors were excellent with great variety. Coffee vendor was top notch as well. We took an Uber ride to Baker beach and walked along the shore and had amazing views of the Golden Gate. Clarion Alley in the Mission district was cool to see as well. It would also be a great time to take in a Giants baseball game if you are so inclined. My wife had never been to the city so we did some typical tourist stuff too, grabbed a snack at fisherman's grotto on the warf and had a Sunday at Ghirardelli. Strolled through Chinatown, etc....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. If I trim a day or so off of San Fran city and tack it onto Yosemite, where do you stay if you're not camping? Just outlying hotels of the road warrior type? (like Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn)

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

When we visit Yosemite and stay in a hotel, we stay at Tenaya Lodge, just a few miles away from the south gate entrance. Nice rooms, a couple of decent restaurants, indoor and outdoor pools, hot tubs, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a SF City Pass, this is about as good a value as you can get, this is what we recommend to family coming out to visit. Where ever you're staying, ask the front desk if they're able to score tickets to Alcatraz. I was born and raised in the city, looked at Alcatraz every morning and heard it's foghorn every evening...I've never visited. No kidding, every field trip I was doing something else. It's a bucket list item and should be done if you're out visiting however, if you strike-out, definitely visit Angel Island. It's a bigger island that has multiple layers of history, foremost is it was the Ellis Island of the West, many of the Chinese from Canton immigrated through Angel Island, there's a number of moving displays and stories there. There's a Civil War era emplacements and various other military artifacts scattered all around. A hike to the top gives an incredible view of SF and the surrounding bay. Bring a picnic lunch as concessions on the island is limited. July around SF means fog and wind; Summer doesn't come until September so bring appropriate clothing.

A visit through the Presidio should include a leisurely walk or bike ride along Chrissy Field, which ends at imposing Fort Point right under the Golden Gate Bridge. Check out the fort, then check out the GGB, walk all the way across it or, half-way and return. Go to the main parade grounds and visit the Walt Disney Museum. The museum is not connected to the Disney corporation as the family insisted on a unaffiliated but, friendly relationship with the corporation. The museum provides a look at Disney's life, all of his accomplishments; had no idea he was buddies with the painter Dali. It also has the most accurate, scale model of the original Disneyland. The younger ones might get board but the older ones might get a good idea of who this Disney guy was.

Visit Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, then never return. It's a tourist trap that is completely infested with manufactured attractions and over-priced shit-shops, take a picture of sea lions then move-on. Walk along the Embarcadero towards the Ferry Building, it's a flat near 2-mile stroll. Along the way is the Exploratorium, go there. All your kids will get a kick-out of it as it's a museum based around interactive science and physics exhibits, it's very hands-on.

Chinatown is nothing interesting unless you've never seen an Asian ghetto. SF is one big Chinatown, as nearly half of the city residents are Asian however, it's the largest and original Chinatown in the nation. Just keep in mind, it's a low-income, ethnic enclave; there's plenty of Chinese that are more well-off living everywhere else. Finding a good Chinese restaurant is like finding good BBQ in TX; just point a direction and you'll get plenty of advice, they're not restricted to Chinatown.

Food....you can get just about everything in SF and most of it made very well, if you get a craving for some corporate themed chain restaurant, you're out of luck. Seriously, there's not much of that garbage around. Barbecue, southern, creole, SF doesn't do well but, just about everything else. Ask in a different thread and you'll get more than your share of recommendations.

Napa, if you've never been, go and enjoy, dress appropriately and it'll be HOT. Leave early and try to leave late. Traffic is horrendous and there's only two ways in/out and both are near each other so traffic is an absolute bear. Your kids will very likey be bored out of their minds, do visit the castle in Napa Valley it'll hold their interests. Take a tour of the Culinary Institute of America at Blackstone, if anything you'll see what goes into being a top-notch chef and might spark something in the kids. Oxbow Market in Napa is a fun food hall you can wander. While wandering around St.Helena, grab a burger at Gott's Roadside Gott's Roadside original location. If Napa is too expensive, head over to nearby Sonoma, more toned-down and not as upscale as the Napa Valley, also has historical first state capitol of California with docents in period dress.

Yosemite...what more can be said, best National Park.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Thanks for the feedback guys. If I trim a day or so off of San Fran city and tack it onto Yosemite, where do you stay if you're not camping? Just outlying hotels of the road warrior type? (like Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn)

See about staying at Evergreen Lodge in Groveland.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post