SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Milo Yiannopoulos fighting the good fight with truth and facts
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milo Yiannopoulos fighting the good fight with truth and facts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The suburban self proclaimed anarchists came to town last night to play at being revolutionaries. Brown shirts have been replaced by the Black Bloc and their pointless vandalism. Violence in the name of crushing speech and dissent. Who are the real fascists?

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
A question for the cops:

How do you attack a riot?

Back in the 60s and 70s, it was dogs, firehoses, and billy clubs. I even remember an action at a relatively obscure college in Ohio that seemed pretty effective.

What is the plan nowadays. How does one break up a large riot like this? Or, do you just arrest targets of opportunity and wait for it to fizzle out?

It depends on where it's happening. If it's in California, the police are instructed to just watch, let it burn, and arrest anyone who defends themselves effectively.

I think security guards refer to it as, "Observe and report."

Yep, a grand total of one arrest during the riots - stores burned and looted, people openly assaulted on the streets, fires - ONE arrest. Ridiculous.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
http://www.breitbart.com/milo/...ion-federal-funding/

UC Berkeley last year received $370 million in funding from the federal government

that is 55% of their research funding

Yeah, but how much of that goes to places like Lawrence Livermoore? That may or may not be research we want stopped.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Yeah, but how much of that goes to places like Lawrence Livermoore? That may or may not be research we want stopped.

Most of the fed funding is STEM type stuff. NIH, NSF, DoD, VA etc. Punishing scientists and their students for the actions of tens of people, most of whom aren't affiliated with the university, is foolish.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Lawrence Livermore ?

https://www.llnl.gov/about/management-and-sponsors

Laboratory Sponsors

As a national security laboratory, Livermore's funding largely comes from the NNSA Office of Defense Programs (link is external) for nuclear weapons stockpile stewardship activities. Support for national security and homeland security work also comes from the NNSA Office of Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (link is external), the Department of Homeland Security (link is external), various Department of Defense (link is external) sponsors and other federal agencies.

Livermore also applies its special capabilities to meet other important national needs. Activities sponsored by non-NNSA elements of DOE include work for the Office of Environmental Management (link is external) as well as research and development projects for the Office of Science (link is external) and many other DOE program offices. Non-DOE sponsors include federal agencies such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (link is external), Nuclear Regulatory Commission (link is external), National Institutes of Health (link is external), and the Environmental Protection Agency (link is external), as well as State of California agencies and industry.

that said, I have no doubt there is some important work funded by the research $ to UC Berkeley.

but having been once involved with funding to universities for research, there is quite a bit of low value / non-productive work funded and an awful lot of funding to "favorite" researchers

adding: I'll go "foolish" for a bit to shut down anarchy and mob rule at our universities

Posts: 19566 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
People need to follow those black hooded animals back to their holes and find out who they really are so their faces are all over social media and the net.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
People need to follow those black hooded animals back to their holes and find out who they really are so their faces are all over social media and the net.

IMO, anyone wearing a black mask (or any mask concealing their identity) should be treated as a violent criminal until proven otherwise. They are terrorists.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here's how Ronald Reagan dealt with Berkeley protesters in 1969...Enjoy:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpg0UfpuUAs

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
DAM! Fix bayonets!

Someone needs to show that clip to Trump Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Here's how Ronald Reagan dealt with Berkeley protesters in 1969...Enjoy:

My dad came home to Berkeley in '68 after three years in the army. He needed to get across town to get to work and found the streets blocked by the guard. The guy at the barricade said they couldn't let him through because hippies. Dad said he didn't have an issue running over people too dumb to get out of the way. They let him through. No hippies were harmed at least not physically.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Most of the fed funding is STEM type stuff. NIH, NSF, DoD, VA etc. Punishing scientists and their students for the actions of tens of people, most of whom aren't affiliated with the university, is foolish.

This.

Most students are way too buried to be concerned with a protest, the rabble-rousers are drop-outs and undergrads in non-STEM courses who will eventually drop-out by their soph years. What we now know, particularly those of us living amongst this tire-fire, are the instigators marched down one of the perimeter streets of the campus, where a protest concert was going on near where Milo was supposed to speak; they basically started tearing the place apart and lighting flares once they hit Sproul Plaza. Students backed away but, stood around and watched, UCPD and BPD commanders already on a short leash by their respective command staffs were powerless to do anything as they'd be hung-out to dry if they dared issue some hickory justice. Much like we've seen in recent Oakland protests, along with Seattle and Portland, this is all the work of Black Bloc and BAMN. Trump's commentary blast should've been directed at Chancellor Dirks and the City of Berkeley for giving tacit approval for this shit to happen.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

UC Berkeley last year received $370 million in funding from the federal government

How much in student loans? Seems to me cutting them will make the college suddenly pay attention. Plus all the rioting snowflakes will have to go home.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
When Reagan was at his desk speaking, I couldnt help but think his gestures and mannerisims reminded me of Joe Friday.

We need more Joe Friday's

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

This.

Most students are way too buried to be concerned with a protest, the rabble-rousers are drop-outs and undergrads in non-STEM courses who will eventually drop-out by their soph years. What we now know, particularly those of us living amongst this tire-fire, are the instigators marched down one of the perimeter streets of the campus, where a protest concert was going on near where Milo was supposed to speak; they basically started tearing the place apart and lighting flares once they hit Sproul Plaza. Students backed away but, stood around and watched, UCPD and BPD commanders already on a short leash by their respective command staffs were powerless to do anything as they'd be hung-out to dry if they dared issue some hickory justice. Much like we've seen in recent Oakland protests, along with Seattle and Portland, this is all the work of Black Bloc and BAMN. Trump's commentary blast should've been directed at Chancellor Dirks and the City of Berkeley for giving tacit approval for this shit to happen.

To explain further, UCPD called in officers from other campuses in anticipation of trouble. UCPD refused to let the rioters advance beyond the plaza. They mostly held their line and dispersed the crowd. UCPD is charged with keeping students and buildings safe and largely did that.

The crowd then went downtown where they did most of their damage. Berkeley PD is responsible for that. BPD did very little in anticipation of things going sideways. They added a few officers near campus for traffic but nothing else. No line of cops in riot gear ready to shut things down. No preemptive mutual aid. I'll give them that this shit usually stays near campus on Telegraph but they weren't prepared for that either (I can't remember things ever going off like that downtown). Once the mob hit downtown BPD had to call every officer available in from their beats. There are 14 beats. I think I read today that each beat has 3 officers. Berkeley makes its officers do the job with one hand behind their back and their shoelaces tied together. Last night was a failure, probably by design, on the part of the city of Berkeley.

Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
When Reagan was at his desk speaking, I couldnt help but think his gestures and mannerisims reminded me of Joe Friday.

Joe Friday felt citizens shouldn't own guns.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:

Joe Friday felt citizens shouldn't own guns.

OK. Ditch Joe then.... Nevermind.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:

How much in student loans? Seems to me cutting them will make the college suddenly pay attention. Plus all the rioting snowflakes will have to go home.

A problem with cutting funding donthe rooting snowflakes go home is this: I bet the vast majority of those actually rioting were not students but outside hooligans, some of whom should have been shot dead for chucking bricks at people. I imagine some students got involved into the actual riots but I really wouldn't be surprised if none were students either.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Two words.... Bear Spray!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
As usual, there is absolutely ZERO excuse for these fools behaving the way they did.

THe supposed "champions" or freedom of speech, or "tolerance" or "inclusive spaces" shows their ass again with their hypocrisy...

ALL of that damage, ALL of those injuries, and ALL of the people attacked and assaulted by this crowd is on the heads of the political leaders and brass of the police departments.

This type of thing is flat out unacceptable. The politicians have kept the police on a leash for far too long...

I'm somewhat of an expert in riots... I have spent over 100 days dealing with them on the front lines... Including, if you remember, 43 days straight of work days at least 12 hours long, some up to 17 to 18 hours, with no days off and even my bereavement leave cancelled after the passing of my mother in 2014.

Until the politicians grow a spine and understand the difference between a "protest" and a "riot" this will keep happening... or we vote the idiots out.

I'm slightly glad in a backwards way that this happened to Berkley. Then maybe the other side won't be as forgiving since it is happening in their own backyard... They now know how the rest of the country feels.

As soon as property starts getting damages, people start being assaulted, rocks or other objects get thrown at police, or the other absurd actions... it is NO LONGER A PROTEST. It is a riot. It needs to be dealt with RIGHT THEN, or it will both get worse that time, and the next time the people will be emboldened to go further.

Trust me. I can PROMISE you that the rank and file officers wanted to get in there and stop that. They just were not allowed to by the spineless folks in charge. And I promise that the rank and file are NOT happy about it.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post