SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any fans of Spaghetti Aglio e Olio?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any fans of Spaghetti Aglio e Olio? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
You can always just use a knife, sharpened like a razor. Yes, that is me.

Damn Noah!

Even when I keep the flat of the blade against my knuckles to keep from cutting myself, I find trying to hold the garlic glove problematic, so there's no way I can do what you do even at a slow speed. And yes, my knives are very very sharp.

That would be an ER trip for me if I tried it.

--_------------

+1 on Chef John's take on it. Learned about the recipe right here from Jim's previous posting of it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Where do I get Bucatini? I went to several stores today, no luck.

Within the pasta section at most markets, usually the better brands or, imported brands will have bucatini.

Check out your favorite Italian deli, they'll have the more unique pastas; this time of year, they'll also have stacked up all sorts holiday foods like panettone, pandoro and panforte.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm italian, theres always one dish I can make no matter how long I've been on the road or the last time I went to the supermarket, and this is it.

I'll have mine with some crushed red pepper as well.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I live in the seventh level of hell as far as good food is concerned. Meaning it’s not available. I have to do my own.

Bucatini is available at Safeway, Frys, Waljunk.

Thanks for the compliments from al, on the garlic slicing. Many years behind the knife. You can do it too. Practice makes perfect.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1

For those who are curious, here's one of many decent recipes on the net:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/...e-olio-recipe-101815

Thank you for the recipe. I just made it tonight and it was a success. I wrote it down and added it to the recipe box!!

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1
For those who are curious, here's one of many decent recipes on the net:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/...e-olio-recipe-101815

Thank you for the recipe. I just made it tonight and it was a success. I wrote it down and added it to the recipe box!!

Great! Glad you enjoyed it. That recipe and the Chef John one here are two of the very best. Smile
https://foodwishes.blogspot.co...o-e-olio-recipe.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
That recipe and the Chef John one here are two of the very best. Smile

Yeah, they are essentially the same.

I always thought that I invented it as I have been making it (or a variation) for years. But alas...no. It was a cheap meal when I was in college and much tastier than pot pies or ramen. I'd often mix in some type of inexpensive protein back then like venison sausage or elk brats or (gasp) SPAM. Nowadays I like to add grilled (or fried in butter) shrimp.

Quick, easy, and as tasty as you can get.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
That recipe and the Chef John one here are two of the very best. Smile

Yeah, they are essentially the same.

Nowadays I like to add grilled (or fried in butter) shrimp.

Indeed, just that Chef John goes into a tad more detail on infusing the EVOO with garlic in a hot pan. Smile

I too enjoy some protein as a side. The what varies with the mood and what's on hand. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
80%+ of the time it's topped with grilled chicken or shrimp for a meal. Plain pasta is usually used as side, but sometimes it's just pasta only as it's dinner in 30 min or less, all from staples. I even have the parsley growing in backyard.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Ok, guys, I’m experiencing deja vu. Didn’t we discuss this very topic last April ((I cooked it back then, and so many of my new attempts are from recipes I find here). I actually think Para started it, or posted in it.. now I’ve gotta go but fresh parsley again!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Made it yesterday and was pretty impressed given how easy it is. I think I will add a bit of ground beef next time with it though.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
Made it yesterday and was pretty impressed given how easy it is. I think I will add a bit of ground beef next time with it though.

You know if you do that it isn't Spaghetti Aglio e Olio any more, right? Eek

It is the simplicity of the dish that makes it pure.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife are big Italian food fans. She is a freak for pasta and garlic. Anyway, I tried and died making this the other night. I used angel hair pasta and it turned into a gooey mass of noodle glue.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
My wife are big Italian food fans. She is a freak for pasta and garlic. Anyway, I tried and died making this the other night. I used angel hair pasta and it turned into a gooey mass of noodle glue.

Never had that happen, try again, it's awesome. Personally I use thin spaghetti.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

To end up with a gooey mess you had to have way over cooked the pasta before moving it to the sauce pan. It must be al dente and if you're going to error be it on the side of underdone even for al dente. Big Grin And the time in the sauce pan with a laddle of pasta water is quite short... just enough to finish the pasta and thoroughly mix it with the sauce.

USN (RET), COTEP #192