SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any fans of Spaghetti Aglio e Olio?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any fans of Spaghetti Aglio e Olio? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I figured this thread is worthless without a good picture.... Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Razor blade for the garlic? Looks great.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
What I love about it is that it is such a nuanced dish.

The better your ingredients the more sublime the dish becomes.

The preparation is also interesting, sometimes I get the pasta water really close to perfect and the "sauce" comes together in a silky and divine way.

Even when it is average aglio e olio is still good.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Yes. Love it. Preferred with lots of garlic, red Chile flakes (or espelette), and some parsley, and of course, Parmesan.

As far as spaghetti, I haven’t eaten spaghetti pasta in years. Bucatini, and only bucatini. Makes all spaghetti dishes better.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Yes. Love it. Preferred with lots of garlic, red Chile flakes (or espelette), and some parsley, and of course, Parmesan.

As far as spaghetti, I haven’t eaten spaghetti pasta in years. Bucatini, and only bucatini. Makes all spaghetti dishes better.

D'accordo sui Bucatini ma il Pecorino Romano è molto meglio.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Agreed on Pecorino Romano. I think that's what I buy at Costco. Parm is what just rolls out when I am talking pasts. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a bit as a side dish, but couldn't make a meal of a bowl. I need protein more so that carbs. Now my wife... she'd eat a plate full the size of a toilet seat, then for some odd reason complain her jeans are shrinking. Damn washer.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Get one of those hand-held Japanese mandolins, saves your fingers
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I enjoy a bit as a side dish, but couldn't make a meal of a bowl. I need protein more so that carbs. Now my wife... she'd eat a plate full the size of a toilet seat, then for some odd reason complain her jeans are shrinking. Damn washer.

In Italian dining, you eat in courses, the pasta course is the #2 dish in the meal, the meat portion comes afterwards.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

quote:

In Italian dining, you eat in courses, the pasta course is the #2 dish in the meal, the meat portion comes afterwards.

Yeah, that's for formal dinning and most don't do courses at home. In most Italian house holds everything is prepared and put on the table where it's passed around. Some just take a big plate of pasta, some like me load up on the chicken, meat balls and sausage with just a bit of pasta.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's important to "Goodfellas" the garlic and to use plenty of fresh Italian parsley.

Here's Chef John's take on the dish:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/bjmYkPkjnVo

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, that's for formal dinning and most don't do courses at home. In most Italian house holds everything is prepared and put on the table where it's passed around. Some just take a big plate of pasta, some like me load up on the chicken, meat balls and sausage with just a bit of pasta.

ahh, you're referring to home meals in the US, I was referring to going into a Osteria or, Trattoria in Italy..which are far from formal. I'm like you, focus on the good stuff and not pile up on the filler.
Either way, good food to be enjoyed, the life of an Italian household.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
(but apparently Kenzi Blye and Martin Deeks are fond of it (heard them rave about it in an NCIS: Los Angeles episode).

flashguy

That's the episode that turned me on to it. Heard them raving about it, so I looked up the recipe and gave it a try. Been hooked ever since.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

the life of an Italian household.

Ah yes. My wife is pure Italian. Actually have published pictures of some of her relatives along side of Al Capone who used to live part time Chicago Heights, her home town.

-D.H. Lawrence

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Many mandolins don't slice 0.5mm thin or thinner only going to 1mm. Oxo makes a nifty garlic slicer (non-adjustable thickness) that gives paper thin results. $9.99 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENK40QM/

Truffle slicers work too but are usually expensive compared to most mandolins, etc.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Every Monday eve, Aglio e Olio.
Inspired by the Vincenzo's plate YT videos ...
oil and garlic with chopped stalks of parsley, adding a little chilli flakes and a sprinkle of parmesan on serving ... yummy!

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
with Guanciale and Pecorino Romano Cheese.

Guanciale (pig cheek) is harder to find, so for me, I elect pancetta (belly) ... I have yet to perfect making the cream (eggs, pecorino and pasta water)... soemtimes, to reduce the saltiness, I add a little brown sugar to the pancetta while in the pan ... yummy.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
You can always just use a knife, sharpened like a razor. Yes, that is me.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Chef Baek got skills. Smile

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
You can always just use a knife, sharpened like a razor. Yes, that is me.

Damn Noah!

Even when I keep the flat of the blade against my knuckles to keep from cutting myself, I find trying to hold the garlic glove problematic, so there's no way I can do what you do even at a slow speed. And yes, my knives are very very sharp.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
it helps if you can already play drums well....

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Dude! Noah went at that like a woodpecker! You got skills for sure.

Where do I get Bucatini? I went to several stores today, no luck.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post