SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any fans of Spaghetti Aglio e Olio?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any fans of Spaghetti Aglio e Olio? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Quick, easy, minimal ingredients... what's not to love?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I discovered it while traveling through Italy as a young man. hooo-boy!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
what's not to love?

• I saw one recipe that calls for Anchovies. If that's a normal ingredient then that's a deal breaker for me.
  • I have a garlic intolerence. Looks like a pretty bland recipe without it.

I really like marinara since I'm a tomato gardener, and there are plenty of big flavors so zero or very little garlic doesn't matter.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Aglio e Olio

I love it. I tend to make it on the spicier side though. And with extra garlic.

I prefer angel hair over spaghetti too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
    "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Mutiny
    posted Hide Post
    Yes! extra garlic for me please.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    ABSOLUTELY love it! Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by konata88:
    quote:
    Aglio e Olio

Ah now, a man after my own heart. That's the only way to fly!

For those who are curious, here's one of many decent recipes on the net:
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/...e-olio-recipe-101815

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I can't tell if I'm
    tired, or just lazy
    Picture of ggile
    posted Hide Post
    Big fan here!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
    Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Web Clavin Extraordinaire
    Picture of Oat_Action_Man
    posted Hide Post
    Made it just the other night!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get Off My Lawn
    Picture of oddball
    posted Hide Post
    It has been a staple in our household for decades, really since college. We still have it as a side dish at least twice a month, sometimes more. Ours is basic; virgin olive oil, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, good Italian spaghetti, salt, pepper, and a little bit of parmesan individually.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mark60
    posted Hide Post
    Yes please. A little extra garlic and maybe even a few chopped walnuts in there too.

Posts: 3438 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    Another good one Spaghetti Carbonara but it MUST be made with Guanciale and Pecorino Romano Cheese.
    A little harder to make but oh so good. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I wouldn't care for it (hate garlic and cheese) but apparently Kenzi Blye and Martin Deeks are fond of it (heard them rave about it in an NCIS: Los Angeles episode).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SPWAMike0317
    posted Hide Post
    Years ago there was a little place in Kennett Square, PA that made a version with black olives and anchovies. AWESOME. The place is long closed but the dish lives on at my house.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The quiet druid
    Picture of orion5
    posted Hide Post
    Grew up with plentiful, cheap food. Was a staple in our house. Lots of chicken wings, too! Still make it to this day.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bald1:
    quote:
    Originally posted by konata88:
    quote:
    Aglio e Olio

Ah now, a man after my own heart. That's the only way to fly!

For those who are curious, here's one of many decent recipes on the net:
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/...e-olio-recipe-101815

We'd probably both use top shelf EVOO (I prefer arbequina / ascolano). Smile BTW, I add some sugar to complement both the chili and the garlic even though most recipes don't call for it.

And of course a good parma cheese. I usually use a copper kettle parma available in the local market.

Hmmm, what's for dinner tonight..... Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
    "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three on, one off
    Picture of G-Man
    posted Hide Post
    Love it with some grilled chicken!

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get Off My Lawn
    Picture of oddball
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^

We usually have grilled Italian sausages and peppers with Spaghetti Aglio e Olio

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    It's amazing the simplicity for these type of dishes.

My pasta go-to is usually one of the Big-4 Roman dishes, as the ingredients are largely inter-connected but, once in a while, I'll go for some simple aglio e'olio.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Serenity now!
    Picture of 4x5
    posted Hide Post
    I love it! We used to make it for our kids all the time when they were younger.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
    ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post