SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KitchenAid Stand Mixer Owners: Lubrication Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KitchenAid Stand Mixer Owners: Lubrication Question Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have a 27 or so year old KitchenAid stand mixer that was handed down to me from my stepmother a few years ago and it's been a real workhorse all these years. I use it weekly and even used it to make my own wedding cake in 2012.

I realized it's NEVER been lubricated in all that time! Is there a process to open them up and lube them? I'm almost afraid to look inside after 27 years of no lube. Eek

It's the kind that has the bowl raising lever, not the kind where the motor flips up.

Posts: 33799 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have you checked youtube?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
The bowl lifter are the better ones, Yes there are very clear instructions on youtbue on how to do it.
I have never done it. I do think that at 27 years, if it aint broke, done mess with it. I can see the advantages of new fluid, but I can't see that it would be worth it.

The rings are known to seep oil, I had an artisan model that did this and it was a pain in the ass.

never got that goblin fixed and I sold it on the cheap

I think the best thing you can do is keep the temperature on it constant. Dont leave it in the garage or anything, that would put the seams at risk of swelling/leaking.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There are numerous videos on youtube demonstrating this. You want "benalene food grade grease". I got it from amazon.

The grease deteriorates with age, which is what causes oil to leak down the shaft. You can buy Kitchenaid mixers cheap from people who think there's some bad problem because they're leaking oil. That's how I got ours from a rummage sale. Wink

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done it on the flip-up kind. It's just a mass of grease on the inside -- no fluid that I recall.

Posts: 701 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
This is the first item I splurged on for my wife as in buying something that I thought would last a lifetime. Had it since the early 80's and still going strong. Never been lubed.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My son's crapped our a few years ago and he was gonna trash it. The mixer wouldn't turn.

I suggested we look for parts, which we easily found. A plastic gear stripped. When we disassembled to replace the gear, the head was very well greased.

The gear came with a package of grease that we addeded.

The mixer has been fine ever since. The plastic gear appeared to be the sacrificial part.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I think it helps that you use it weekly. I've got one that sits for long periods and has leaked a little bit as the lube separates over time.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
As previously mentioned, YouTube has many good videos.

For the grease, I found a restaurant supply which also did sharpening and equipment repair and bought just enough loose grease from them to do the job.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Oops. Had mine apart to put locktite on the bolts that hold the head in place, and added a little Valvoline grease! So far, pizza and bread dough still come out white/beige. Wink

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post