SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Downtown Atlanta restaurant recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downtown Atlanta restaurant recommendations Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
So I'm currently in Atlanta for the NRA show. My brother is in town for a meeting with Coca Cola with some of his team. Looking for a place to do dinner tonight. Is Cuts Steak House decent? We did Buckhead Diner late night last night and 5 Church for drinks earlier. Any other suggestions? These people are of the fancy variety so cost isn't an issue.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a great sirloin from Cuts, but Kevin Rathbun over in Inman Park gets my vote.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I know not downtown Atlanta but might want to keep it in mind should the opportunity arise...

A friend just ate here in Roswell (just a short hop north of Atlanta) with friends and said it was well worth a return visit: http://nocaeatery.com/ (link has menus)
He had the veal schnitzel while his wife had the braised short ribs.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by modestglock26:
I had a great sirloin from Cuts, but Kevin Rathbun over in Inman Park gets my vote.

If you can get here, this is excellent advice. Excellent. Advice.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I been to downtown Atlanta for a couple conferences over the years. Of the handful of places I've gone for dinner, the two that stood out to me were:

Max Lager's Wood-Fired Grill and Brewery
http://www.maxlagersrestaurantatlanta.com

and

White Oak Kitchen
http://whiteoakkitchen.com/

Posts: 32505 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
Roswell, given the traffic here for the NRA event and the I-85 collapse is going to be bad, so I don't recommend Roswell or other areas outside downtown.

I agree with the previous recommendation for White Oak Kitchen and Max Lager's is good if you like a local brewery with decent food. Any of the Kevin Rathbun's restaurants (he has 4) are good. Other recommendations include Lure for seafood, South City Kitchen and, for a local classic, Mary Mac's Tearoom.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I remember Ray's Killer Creek being very good during my brief stint there. And Para had recommended a diner that was very good as well.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5317 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other tops picks of mine ITP (avoiding heading north and OTP due to 85 issues...)

1. Bartaco (house margarita and all the tacos)
2. Fox Bros BBQ (deep fried ribs are fun)
3. Antico (margarita pizza ftw)
4. Taqueria del Sol ( I frequent the one in Decatur mostly)

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Atlanta is a big place. Are you actually downtown? (near the convention) Do you want walkable or can you drive/uber?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well their last meeting ran late so we ended up at Krog Street Market. They have a plane to catch so I'm currently enjoying a Fred's Burger Stack. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'm staying at the Buckhead Grand Hyatt so feel free to throw good places over that way at me Smile

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krog Street? G.C BBQ. If you can't get to Fox Bros. G.C.'s first location is right around the corner from the house, awesome Oklahoma style, heavy smoke. And the mac and cheese is tops.

Though, Fox Bros burned ends is heavenly.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, for Buckhead... Fogo de Chao. Go hungry.

I haven't been to the new Fado yet. Old one was great.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The best part about hanging with my brother is that he's in the restaurant franchising business so when we go to places he will order 6-7 entrees to sample. Sometimes he will order the entire menu. Always good eats and plenty to go around.

Btw secret service guys love them some cheese steaks.

posted Hide Post
Live a block away from Fox Bros now, and used to live at the house directly across from it. The air in the area always smelled so damn delicious. Walking the dogs nearby must've been torture for them.

Krog Market has a few good options. If you get bored at all on the way back up to Buckhead, stop at Ponce City Market and visit the roof.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
So I'm currently in Atlanta for the NRA show. My brother is in town for a meeting with Coca Cola with some of his team. Looking for a place to do dinner tonight. Is Cuts Steak House decent? We did Buckhead Diner late night last night and 5 Church for drinks earlier. Any other suggestions? These people are of the fancy variety so cost isn't an issue.

We are also here and at the suggestion of YellowJacket, we had dinner at Six Feet Under. We Ubered it back and forth and the driver was an NRA member. We sat on the rooftop area and it was really good. Some excellent blackened catfish and fried okra. Highly recommended.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you're at the Grand Hyatt then you can walk to Bones. Best steakhouse in the city. Otherwise, cruise down Peachtree a couple of miles to Holeman+Finch and Restaurant Eugene, which are both Linton Hopkins restaurants and both incredible.

If you want good food close to the convention center, shoot up Marietta street a couple of miles to West Midtown and eat at Bocado, The Optimist, or Miller Union.

Edit: or for a more laid back atmosphere and a nice view, eat some catfish at Six Feet Under. Glad you enjoyed it pingman.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Atlanta is a big place. Are you actually downtown? (near the convention) Do you want walkable or can you drive/uber?

I'm in Buckhead now...was downtown earlier. Gonna make it an early night as I will be out and about all day tomorrow. Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'm here for another 2 nights so will def make use of them. The big question is should I Uber down early, drive and try to park, or try my hand at MARTA tomorrow.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I had a great meal at Blue Ridge Grill in Buckhead.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

I'm in Buckhead now...was downtown earlier. Gonna make it an early night as I will be out and about all day tomorrow. Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'm here for another 2 nights so will def make use of them. The big question is should I Uber down early, drive and try to park, or try my hand at MARTA tomorrow.

From where you are to the Congress center, I'd take Marta personally. That's one of the few trips that are pretty much perfect for Marta.

posted Hide Post
Is The Varsity worth a stop?

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post