SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Basic Laptop Recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Basic Laptop Recommendation Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
The HP laptop my wife has this has been our family computer for the past couple years is falling apart. I'd like to buy a replacement soon and my budget is around $500 or so.

We are doing more and more with our iPhones anymore but need a basic laptop to do the basics like typing up documents, printing, web browsing etc. We don't do any gaming or graphics work, so just something very basic.

What's good these days for PC laptops? A Mac is out of the question as even refurbs are more than our budget allows.

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife just did all the research on a new laptop. The one she chose was on sale at Best Buy.
It is an HP Note book 17 inch, core I 5 seventh generation, 8 gigs with 1 terabyte.
I think the model number is 17-X116DX
She paid less than $500.00 out the door. So far she likes it.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
FWIW....

I work for a publicly traded company and the IT department is *by far* the best I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

When shopping for laptops, they buy *exclusively* Dell refurbs.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
My wife just did all the research on a new laptop. The one she chose was on sale at Best Buy.
It is an HP Note book 17 inch, core I 5 seventh generation, 8 gigs with 1 terabyte.
I think the model number is 17-X116DX
She paid less than $500.00 out the door. So far she likes it.

My brother just bought this laptop for his wife a couple of weeks ago at Best Buy for $420.00. We couldn't believe the price at first glance. In addition to the above specs it also has a DVD burner and memory card reader. It does not have a backlit keyboard or Bluetooth. Really nice machine with great specs for his wife's needs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tell everyone to just go to best buy and grab a $400-$500 machine. As long as they aren't doing any gaming, they're all pretty much good to go.

Spend some time removing any bloatware and you're good. NEVER let the best buy people install it or prep it for you. Don't let them open the box.

You need to decide what screen size she wants and if she wants a disc player/burner or not. Those will pretty much decide what size you need. Most of them have decent battery life.

You might even get lucky and find a $300-$400 laptop.

My brother buys all his stuff through Dell. He gets his kids $300 refurbs off Dell and they usually last a few years (because of milk, hair straighter, etc, not because of anything the laptop did)

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not much help here. For personal use, my last two laptops have been my daughter's cast-offs after she's destroyed the keyboard, touchpad, and hinges. Smile

For work, I have a Lenovo that I was very happy with right up until the hard drive failed with no warning at the four-year mark. Since the warranty was done, Lenovo wouldn't even give me the list of drivers I needed for it. The machine itself I'm happy with; customer service, not so much.

If possible, I'd recommend going with an SSD - that's what I bought to replace the disk drive, and it's much snappier loading programs.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My wife has a HP business machine, and it is a dog. Runs slow, locks up, but that honestly my be her company's fault, they have it locked down tighter than Ft. Knox.

My son has a newer HP laptop that is pretty slick. SSD, fast start-up and never even a hiccup so far (been 8 mos now). I'd get it again with out worry.

I have a dell work laptop. It's robust, fast enough, and good battery life. Just not ergonomic at all! (Mine has no number pad, and it it the thickest of all the laptops in the house).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My local MicroCenter has a 15 inch Lenovo IdeaPad 110 for a crazy $199 and the specs look adequate for what I'll use it for. The only concern is the 4GB of RAM with Win10 and I can't tell if that's expandable. Would that be OK for a basic browsing and printing machine? We use our iPhones 90% of the time anymore anyway it seems!

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My local MicroCenter has a 15 inch Lenovo IdeaPad 110 for a crazy $199 and the specs look adequate for what I'll use it for. The only concern is the 4GB of RAM with Win10 and I can't tell if that's expandable. Would that be OK for a basic browsing and printing machine? We use our iPhones 90% of the time anymore anyway it seems!

Not a barn burner and not upgradable but web browse and email should be adequate.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you are a Costco member, they often have great deals on computers. Online and in store.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with HP, and something under $500 that will work perfectly. I've found Office Depot is the cheapest for laptops. Check their weekly ads online.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post