SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mice in the Garage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mice in the Garage Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted
Our cats have grown old and lazy, so now it appears mice are moving into the garage and making themselves comfortable.

Poison is out since one or the other of the cats may still catch one and eat it.

I have worked at several factories that have a metal box near the doors that is for rodent control. Do those work well and where can I buy one? Anything else, any other suggestions are welcome.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Rat sized sticky traps work great, put them along the wall in a place cats can't get to

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin showed me a trick that works great. Caught 42 last fall at my shop. Take a bucket, place a rod to cross the top of it, then take a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe just short of the inside I.D. of the bucket with two caps on the ends.

Drill the caps, so the rod will pass through the pipe and hold it between the rim of the bucket, Then smear peanut butter on the center of the pipe.

Place about 4" of water in the bucket and place 2 boards leading up to the top of the bucket at the ends of the pipe (access for mice to pipe) and let mice greed do the rest.

Peanut butter brings them in, they crawl out on the pipe to eat it, and their greed makes the pipe spin and drops them into the bucket where they drown. Nothing dangerous to your critters and you catch the damn mice.

Several types on U tube, search bucket mouse trap.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve caught loads of mice in my barn with a Victor “Tin Cat” trap:

http://www.victorpest.com/stor...e-control/live-traps

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Down the rabbit hole of mousetrap videos.

https://youtu.be/t0wsMFvTQms

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Bucket trap very effective, highly recommend.

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Victor electronic rat traps at Lowe's are under $30 and zap them dead.....they look like a small mailbox......highly recommend a few of them

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

Didn't work worth a shit for me, nor did the Victor electric jobbers.

What worked?

These bad boys. JAWZ traps.

Place a bunch of them around the walls of the garage with the jaws facing inwards towards the wall and you'll kill a shit-ton of the little bastards. You can bait them if you want, but it doesn't matter. Even without bait you'll kill the hell out of them as they stay along the walls and will crawl right over the traps only to be squished.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
There is a product called Fresh Cab that will repellant them. Made in USA product. Uses naturally ingredients and smells like woods.

This eliminates any pet issues because the ingredients won't harm them, they won't get a glue trap hanging off them, and they won't be able to mess with mouse in trap.

I have used the product. Works especially well for RV, boat, or auto storage.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
My uncle was complaining about mice and couldn't get the problem under control using traps and poison.

I went to youtube and looked up methods and found the bucket with spinning rod and figured we would try it. Not like it is some great investment. This one is ten bucks. We used the 20 dollar one called the original rolling mouse trap, but there are many now, all ready with drilled buckets if you don't have one to spare.

It worked, after a few days he started finding mice. One, then a couple a night, they most he got was four in one night.

He doesn't use it anymore, after a couple of months his problem went away. He figures if it gets bad again he can start leaving the bucket in his shed again. He poured a little water and dish soap in the bucket so they couldn't escape. The harder they tried the more slick it got.

He uses the shed for all the produce from his garden, which is a small markets worth.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve used the Rat Zapper since they first came out. They cleanly kill them and work well over and over. You could also try “walk the plank” off Amazon. It works but then you have to grab carcasses out of the water. I’ve tried the spring traps, glue traps and other methods but I prefer the rat zapper. It works on mice and rats.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Large glue traps with a bit of cheese or PB in the middle. Worked well for the occasional mouse in our garage at our old house.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I bought this:

Anton Chigurh's rodent trap.

It's absolutely worth every penny. It decimated all comers. Chipmunks, rats, mice, squirrels. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I bought this:

Anton Chigurh's rodent trap.

It's absolutely worth every penny. It decimated all comers. Chipmunks, rats, mice, squirrels. I highly recommend it.

It’s a bit pricey but interesting machine.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Rat sized sticky traps work great, put them along the wall in a place cats can't get to

This right here.

Put a dab of peanut butter in the middle and then wait.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

Didn't work worth a shit for me, nor did the Victor electric jobbers.

What worked?

These bad boys. JAWZ traps.

Place a bunch of them around the walls of the garage with the jaws facing inwards towards the wall and you'll kill a shit-ton of the little bastards. You can bait them if you want, but it doesn't matter. Even without bait you'll kill the hell out of them as they stay along the walls and will crawl right over the traps only to be squished.

I like these just because I don't have to replace the peanut butter bait or touch the mouse. I just open the jaws, drop the mouse out, and put back in place.
And it kills them w/o making a bloody mess. The trap stays pretty clean.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
Mice in the Garage

Sounds like the much less successful predecessor album to Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic.

Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Get another, younger, cat and don't feed them as much.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I just ordered two of these bucket rollers: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
You will need the following to dispose of rats in your garage:

Deer stand for elevated hunting
Thermal scanner
Night vision
22 loaded with rat shot
Safety glasses for guaranteed ricochet
12 pack of Bud heavy
The latest issue of Big Uns’ for when things get boring

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post