SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Honeymooners and explaining the humor... (I love that show)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Honeymooners and explaining the humor... (I love that show) Login/Join 
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brad Garrett (Robert Barone) on Everybody Loves Raymond clearly channels Ralph Kramden from time to time.

Brad Garrett also starred in a biopic about Jackie Gleason.

IMDB link

The King of Queens also pays homage to The Honeymooners.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
"Explaining the humor" - thread drift

I haven’t watched The Honeymooners, but I’ve seen I Love Lucy. I think they’re still showing reruns.

When I walk into a friend’s home I sometimes announce [impersonating Ricky Ricardo] “Honey, I’m home.“
Some people get it. My cat ignores it. Smile

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Iconic show. Hard to believe it was only one season. When we were kids, my brother and I watched the Odd Couple and the Honeymooners back to back every night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Gleason was great but Art Carney stole just about every scene he was in.

How many remember he won a Best Actor Oscar in 1975 for Harry & Tonto beating out Hoffman, Pacino, Nicholson and Finney!

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hellooooo ball!

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
"You're a regular riot, Alice"

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

As ZSM said, Alice usually always won the argument. Ralph never would have laid a hand on her and that was known by all who watched.

Yep. Whenever Ralph would get worked up, Alice wouldn't even flinch. Instead, she would just lay that icy glare on him. Big Grin

Some of the best television ever made.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

My first thought when I saw this thread.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved the show and probably watched every episode as a kid. I was born in 1961 so not sure what cycle of re-runs it was by then.

One of the funniest scenes that I can recall is when Ralph and Norton came up with one of their ‘million dollar ideas’, and this one happened to be the ‘Easy Apple Peeler & Corer’.

When they were running either a live commercial or maybe filming one and Norton peeled and cored the apple lickity-split, but when Ralph tried he couldn't even do it, even after Norton showed him a couple of times.

On other live tv events to peddle their gadgets Ralph would always freeze, stutter and completely forget his lines.

So FUNNY!!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I watched it on Channel 32 in Chicago in the 80's.
LOL, you and I were probably watching some of the same episodes simultaneously, between Harlem Furniture, First Metropolitan Builders, Bert Weinman Ford, Lincoln Carpeting commercials ...and back when Son of Svengoolie was on for the first time around.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely loved that show. I think it still resonates today, as several have mentioned many can relate it to their lives or people they knew.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Remember sitting with my Dad in the 50's watching it and I'm still watching today.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I watched it on Channel 32 in Chicago in the 80's.
LOL, you and I were probably watching some of the same episodes simultaneously, between Harlem Furniture, First Metropolitan Builders, Bert Weinman Ford, Lincoln Carpeting commercials ...and back when Son of Svengoolie was on for the first time around.

Oh my gosh. Burt Weinman Ford. What a blast from the past!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad used to watch reruns when we were kids. I get the humor. Mrs. Mike would not, she was born a decade later..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
incredible show. to the moon alice

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59
Yep. Whenever Ralph would get worked up, Alice wouldn't even flinch. Instead, she would just lay that icy glare on him. Big Grin

She was incredibly hot. I totally had a crush on her. I just didn’t realize she was 52 years older than I am.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Any guesses yet on the first Trixie Norton who appeared only in the first episode?

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

My first thought when I saw this thread.

Me, too. I love that cartoon; have copies that I have passed on to friends. Not everybody gets it.

I loved the show; saw it as a child, but probably not first run; I was born in 1953.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post