SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Honeymooners and explaining the humor... (I love that show)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Honeymooners and explaining the humor... (I love that show) Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So my wife grew up in Korea. Lived there until her mid twenties. Legally immigrated here 37 years ago. She speaks fluent English, loves America, is more right wing than I am.

I was explaining that when the neighbor’s dog tried to attack our dog, I reeled back my foot to kick that little piece of shit. The neighbor guy asked “were you going to kick my dog.”
I replied “bang zoom, to the moon Alice!”

He had no clue as to what I was referencing.

I told Mrs. Cooker about it and she looked puzzled.

I went to YouTube and showed her some clips of the Honeymooners. My God, it was a great show. I explained that it was filmed 65 years ago and things were different in America back then. I tried to explain why it’s so funny.

She accepted that it may be funny to me, but it’s no different than when she shows me a Korean show clip and she’s dying laughing, and I’m like “what the actual fuck is this stupidity”.

So, how many of you guys have watched the Honeymooners, and how many of you guys love that show?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I used to watch it and it was funny. But back then, the parents controlled the home's only TV so I watched what they watched.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen every episode. You will notice that Ralph screams and yells yet Alice wins every argument. It captures the blue collar environment I grew up with. Opening the window and yelling for the neighbors was familiar. Ralph pretending he knew how to play golf to impress the boss.

Humor of this type is hard to understand if you are from a different culture. A friend of mine has been married to a Filipino woman for twenty years. He has the same problem with her.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Watched it throughout my college years. Still watch the marathons they run nowadays. Big Mooners fan here.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Loved the Honeymooners....funny show!
As a young teen working my first job in a hardware store after school I met Art Carney when he came in and asked me for help finding some screws.....he lived in the next town over...great guy

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
It was the only thing on channel 2, the only channel I got in my room with rabbit ears and yards if tin foil making some weird antenna.this was on a 13” black and white TV.

I’m sure now it’s damn near a crime to laugh at those episodes, but my god, they are funny.

As ZSM said, Alice usually always won the argument. Ralph never would have laid a hand on her and that was known by all who watched.

I seriously wish we had more TV like this. Hell, if TV like this was available, I would consider cable again.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art Carney can make you laugh just by doing nothing, and doing it well.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
So my wife grew up in Korea. Lived there until her mid twenties. Legally immigrated here 37 years ago. She speaks fluent English, loves America, is more right wing than I am.

I was explaining that when the neighbor’s dog tried to attack our dog, I reeled back my foot to kick that little piece of shit. The neighbor guy asked “were you going to kick my dog.”
I replied “bang zoom, to the moon Alice!”

He had no clue as to what I was referencing.

I told Mrs. Cooker about it and she looked puzzled.

I went to YouTube and showed her some clips of the Honeymooners. My God, it was a great show. I explained that it was filmed 65 years ago and things were different in America back then. I tried to explain why it’s so funny.

She accepted that it may be funny to me, but it’s no different than when she shows me a Korean show clip and she’s dying laughing, and I’m like “what the actual fuck is this stupidity”.

So, how many of you guys have watched the Honeymooners, and how many of you guys love that show?

Big thread drift.....if your wife speaks Korean, there is an all Korean language radio station from LA: 50K watt KMPC 1540 AM. English language station ID at top of hour, Korean language all other times.

Strong signal on west coast, or streaming audio from KMPC website.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

Big thread drift.....if your wife speaks Korean, there is an all Korean language radio station from LA: 50K watt KMPC 1540 AM. English language station ID at top of hour, Korean language all other times.

Strong signal on west coast, or streaming audio from KMPC website.

We are in AZ. Central. If it’s really cold and clear, when I was a kid, we could get stations from Cali.
I’ll have to source an AM radio, fashion an antenna that won’t be seen by the HOA, and see if I can get her some radio.

Or I could be lazy, and find them broadcasting here and send her the link. I like the antenna idea more. Smile

quote:
The “lol” thread

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
It comes down the cultures....my Ukrainian wife who is in her 30s gets the humor. She grew up in a soviet blue collar neighborhood.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Love the show. Have seen every episode (both the original season and the short episodes they did on The Jackie Gleason Show in the '60s and '70s).

Two trivia questions:
1. What was Trixie Norton's real first name?
2. Who was the first Trixie (she lasted one episode)?

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
Thelma Norton I think.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Flintstones was clearly inspired by The Honeymooners.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^
Thelma Norton I think.

Correct!

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it on Channel 32 in Chicago in the 80's. Probably saw all of them, how many are there? That they filmed the live episodes on Kinescope and they survived more or less intact is somewhat of a miracle. My parents were from NYC and my uncle still lives in Brooklyn so the setting and personalities had a familiarity to them.

I tend to think in late 70's / early 80's comedy movie quotes like Caddyshack, Stripes, Animal House, Fletch, and others of that era and those are becoming too old for a lot of younger people to "get" now. Office Space is more than 20 years hold but that one still works. I wouldn't think of referencing the Honeymooners now, unless it's someone 50+ who might have a chance of knowing something about the show. Even comparing Zoom meeting windows to the Brady Bunch is lost on younger people.

As for Asian comedy, I've spent a lot of time in Asia in the past decade and have had relationships with Asian women here in the US. I usually find it odd that the generally more conservative cultures have such sophomoric and unsubtle comedy. Now that I think about it, sarcasm and irony generally do not work in Asia. They don't pick up on the inflections we use when we say something opposite of what we mean, and tend to take the words more literally. So maybe that's why the comedy is exaggerated to the point of being annoying. One girlfriend that was Vietnamese would put Vietnamese variety shows from YouTube on the TV for her mom to watch. Probably better off that I couldn't understand it.

But I can deal with the comedy, it's the Korean soap operas damn near every Asian girl grew up watching that are the real problem.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
“Alice” was Audrey Meadows. Her sister Jayne was on a panel show, maybe What’s My Line. Jayne was married to talk show host Steve Allen.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I watched it on Channel 32 in Chicago in the 80's. Probably saw all of them, how many are there? That they filmed the live episodes on Kinescope and they survived more or less intact is somewhat of a miracle.

Me too. I was probably 11 or 12. Even then I was keenly aware it was a different time. Course the black and white helped.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Norton: (reading his script) I don’t possess a mansion or a villa in France or a yacht or a string of poloponies.
Ralph: (reading from the script) I’m glad to hear…[he stops suddenly then says] A string of poloponies? Where do you see that?
Norton: (pointing) Right there, “a string of poloponies.”
Ralph: That’s “a string of POLO PONIES!”

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Captain Video space helmet on. Loved the show.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by egregore:
The Flintstones was clearly inspired by The Honeymooners.[/QUOTE

Brad Garrett (Robert Barone) on Everybody Loves Raymond clearly channels Ralph Kramden from time to time.

Fan of Sig, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Browning, etc, etc.

Posts: 168 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post