SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are we using for a browser? UPDATE: Refurb Desktops?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are we using for a browser? UPDATE: Refurb Desktops? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Currently have Brave which was cool for a while if for no other reason than it's not Google/Chrome.

After several months of using it, I'm getting more than a bit tired of the constant updates followed by updates to fix the stuff they screwed up on the update. Also, annoying popups from the Brave programmers to "support their advertisers" or somesuch which I can't figure out how to turn off. Also, initial boot is painfully slow.

Used to have Firefox, but it got nearly as bloated and slow as IE.

Something that loads quickly, is reasonably secure, will accommodate a popup/ad blocker and is compact.

Edit to add: MS Edge interests me, but is apparently a kludge to run on Win7. So, I got to looking at new Win10 computers on Tiger Direct and a refurb Lenovo can be had for under $100. Horry Sheet! That would certainly take all the pain out of trying to upgrade my current box. I've had pretty good luck with Lenovo and ThinkCentre boxes from IBM, but never had a refurb. Thoughts/Experiences?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching this thread. I've been a chrome user for years, but am less happy with it than I used to be.

I also have Safari on the mac and cordially hate it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
FireFox Quantum right now, but its pissing me off occasionally.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Chrome with uBlock Origin. I use android phones as well.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Safari

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
MS Edge looks promising. Clean format and so far easy to navigate. Time will tell.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Just plain old Microsoft Edge. It came with the forced upgrade to Windows 10. Both actually work very well. The previous IE11 caused problems with avatars on this site, but this doesn't.

Posts: 27936 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrome and starting to use Edge occasionally. I'd probably use Edge more if I wasn't such a creature of habit.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrome with ublock origin for home stuff, then Firefox for work. Firefox quantum seems much better since they released the quantum version.

Posts: 2365 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Safari, on Mac. Works well.

My wife uses Chrome on her Mac. I do not like it, and when I need to do anything on her computer I launch Safari.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
firefox on windows 10 and the x/p,it pisses me off on x/p and I am looking to change,did not like chrome on x/p

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I've bought a half dozen HP & Dell refurb computers for work from Tiger Direct and all have held up well.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Safari, on Mac. Works well.

My wife uses Chrome on her Mac. I do not like it, and when I need to do anything on her computer I launch Safari.

I agree completely. Hate Chrome and IE11 and Edge on windows comp. Those are some of the reasons I recently went to an iMac, so far I am loving it.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Loving MS Edge here.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
IE11 on W7Pro.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Safari on Apple. Firefox on Windoze.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Waterfox

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safari.

When I do have to use a WinBox, I use Opera.

Stick with Windows 7 as long as you can. Windows 10 is a train wreck...

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Win 7 Home Premium SP1 (Desktop): Waterfox 56.0.3 (64-bit)
Android 7.0/EMUI 5.1 (Smartphone): Samsung Internet Browser (9 Nov '17)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Firefox, Chrome and Vivaldi on my Linux box. Mainly FF. I see little difference between them.

TBH: If it launches and displays stuff properly: I'm happy. With rare exceptions: All three do.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post