SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First fire of the year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First fire of the year Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
43F now and dipping into the 30s tonight, so I thought I'd fire up the old woodstove and get things nice and toasty and save the propane for late spring when the wood stores get a little low.

God I love this time of year. Larch turning, elk bugling, mmmmm.......

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
It's like a primal ritual. Man and fire. I feel profound sadness for those who do not experience this in some way.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
You are a luck dog. High was 85 and I have the AC running. Trade ya. Smile

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Did I see certain parts of Montana have snow?

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was snowing in Bozeman and I think Butte had some also.

How I miss being in the Flathead this time of year. Hope to get my fix in a few weeks.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It was in the 90s yesterday. It was 95 today. It will be 91 tomorrow. It will be in the 90s all week.

I am tired of hot.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice....and we’ll still be here waiting for you late next May when you thaw out.

Seriously though, got to love Montana anytime of year.

I’ve got some gorgeous pictures somewhere of the Bitterroot Valley in the fall. I’ll have to dig those up now that you mention it.

As for us, it’s cooled off some. Mid 80’s daytime temps and 75 right now at 8pm. Feels wonderful. I mowed the yard today and will keep the soft top down on the jeep until the end of the month or so.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I won't rag on you guys in the south at all. You like it and choose to live there, and I think that's great.

For me? The change of seasons is in my blood and there is just no better time of year than right now.

Yeah, soon the snow will fall and it'll be colder than a well digger's ass. I love that too, especially around Christmas-time. Come March? I'll be sick of it and looking towards Spring to get the garden started.

Then, I'll have to put up with a few months of summer until this wonderful time of year rolls around again. I already can't wait until next year.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It was in the 90s yesterday. It was 95 today. It will be 91 tomorrow. It will be in the 90s all week.

I am tired of hot.

I was born and raised in Florida, I got tired of the heat too and moved the mountains of NC 4 months ago. We are waiting on our wood stove now, we are super excited about making it our primary heat source. There is just something special about a nice warm fire.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
36 Degrees Friday night and frost on my truck when I went to bed. Leaves are changing, too.
Fall is my favorite time of year in the Yoop but it is very short.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I won't rag on you guys in the south at all. You like it and choose to live there, and I think that's great.

For me? The change of seasons is in my blood and there is just no better time of year than right now.

Yeah, soon the snow will fall and it'll be colder than a well digger's ass. I love that too, especially around Christmas-time. Come March? I'll be sick of it and looking towards Spring to get the garden started.

Then, I'll have to put up with a few months of summer until this wonderful time of year rolls around again. I already can't wait until next year.

"March is a green, muddy month down below. Some folks like it. Farmers, mostly."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Splendidly put!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
"March is a green, muddy month down below. Some folks like it. Farmers, mostly."

"You've done well to keep your hair when so many's after it."

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I am tired of hot.

No Kidding!!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I do miss the thousands of acres of Western Larch needles turning yellow. I didn't make it up to Libby yet this year, but soon for a bit of Whitetail rut action. That is if the poachers leave any to rattle in. Here on the east slope of the divide there is an abundance of color, but no Larch. As a young resident up there, we gathered Larch for fire wood for our family and relatives. Damn hard and heavy stuff, but burns better than pine etc.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Oh, BTW southern folks, we had our first snow storm yesterday. The higher elevation roads were a mess. Here in town the flurries turned to rain, an early winter is on the way it seems.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marue:
You are a luck dog. High was 85 and I have the AC running. Trade ya. Smile

+1

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Oh, BTW southern folks, we had our first snow storm yesterday. The higher elevation roads were a mess. Here in town the flurries turned to rain, an early winter is on the way it seems.

One of the fun things about living in Texas is watching the "old folks swap". People who've lived here will often retire to places where it's far cooler, and people who've never lived here will retire here from Canada and the Upper Midwest.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
gotta admit easing into our own little warming fires, first late in the evening, then earlier, with the small bits & less 'firewoody' pieces of combustible tree debris....tending the wood shed and preening it into a more formal presentation of 'the real cord wood' ready & waiting;

then a break thru, as an early riser, the inevitable "it's too chilly to sit here waiting for the coffee in the cold"....

Each recent week has seen more & longer little burns, and now most of the barky debris is well ordered, waiting it's turn, saving the 'real wood' for the larger job to come.

Ah, I love this season as well, Gustofer. Orion moves into the night sky further telling us of the season at hand.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:

"You've done well to keep your hair when so many's after it."

"Grown particular?"

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post