SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unusual trip to the range with the puppy today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual trip to the range with the puppy today Login/Join 
posted
Local range has multiple shooting locations separated by woods. Took the 8 month old pup and we just walked between locations through the woods till I judged it was getting too loud for her, then we'd vere off another direction. The near disaster was heading to what we thought was the empty black powder range. Guy setting up with what appeared to be a .50 cal hawkins. We headed off the other way and the loud BLAM was muted enough that she didn't startle at all. The trip was just to get her trained to not worry over fireworks.

The unusual part was I didn't shoot anything. At all. That and the dog was with me. She's loved the hike through the woods, especially ones filled with wildlife- I've seen bobcats and deer multiple times there (and the dog was hitting on what must have been rodents judging by her alert stance) and she now appears to be good to go for the idiots of the 4th of July.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dog will spot over my shoulder shooting .22 or an AR & try to eat my pistol targets while I'm shooting them, but if she even thinks there might be thunder or fireworks, look out. she sits on my feet so I can't go anywhere & herds me back to bed if I do. All while hyperventilating.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
My dog will spot over my shoulder shooting .22 or an AR & try to eat my pistol targets while I'm shooting them, but if she even thinks there might be thunder or fireworks, look out. she sits on my feet so I can't go anywhere & herds me back to bed if I do. All while hyperventilating.
Have you tried a Thundershirt®? I've heard they work wonders.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried a Thundershirt®? I've heard they work wonders.

It depends. My sister-in-law tried one on theirs (poodle/terrier mix mutt) and it didn't work.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Works with our GSP (yes she's gun shy too). Does not calm her completely but definitely takes the edge off.

Give it a try - if it doesn't work make it a karma on here.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
good idea. I did the same thing with my American Brittany! move closer every few shots until we were on the line and then shoot some targets with the shotgun.

He is pretty fearless but did get scared during a thunderstorm when up stairs. Quieted right down when he came to my bedroom!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are doing it right, get them used to Bang stuff when they are young, usually 6 months, and they will never be afraid. Same rule goes with a lot of events in a dogs life.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange dogs are- my lab can have a shotgun with 3" magnums shot a few feet over his head without worry but thunder and fireworks freak him totally

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post