SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Cable Modem Tests Slower Than Old One
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Cable Modem Tests Slower Than Old One Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Different time of day? Definitely can play a part.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Ok, you win! Happy now ? Big Grin

0-0

It's not a question of "winning," 0-0. It's one of wishing to see erroneous information stamped out.

Y'know, like "fully semi-automatic" Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Different time of day? Definitely can play a part.

That was my initial thought as this was during NHL playoffs. But it seems since then he got a new modem and isn't testing right when he wants to watch.

I'm on the edge of a new 100 home development. I had comcast out a couple times to increase the juice and lay better cable to the house during this time of new houses going up over several yrs. I would get the fragmented screen on and off over the last several yrs., occasionally.
Now that the development is about done, things seem to have leveled off, I hope.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Wait,wait. Let me get this straight - you are paying for "up to 60Mbps", and your new modem is testing at 66Mbps, and then you created this thread. Do I have that correct?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Wait,wait. Let me get this straight - you are paying for "up to 60Mbps", and your new modem is testing at 66Mbps, and then you created this thread. Do I have that correct?

Yes. The issue I'm having is not the speed, but the picture freezing, "choppy" stream, etc.

It was more of aside that I mentioned the drop in speed with the new modem.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Ok, you win! Happy now ? Big Grin

0-0

Not really.

He is correct about contention as the other traffic on a simple home network would not affect much.
He is dead wrong on not eliminating the wi-fi component to verify the modem/ISP connection. Every network technician on earth knows that. There are separate tests for wi-fi throughput. A simple Internet Speed test is not the only answer either.

Additionally to OP is it possible for your ISP throttling you?
(please no net neutrality comments)

Is it possible that the source(having a problem or bandwidth issues of their own) of the streaming is the issue?

Could there be a problem between connections affecting the problem.

The simple HTTP Internet test does not always tell everything you need to know.

Ever try a VPN?
(I have occasional issues with Youtube and this (VPN) has helped me.)

Just some technical food for thought.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post