SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Cable Modem Tests Slower Than Old One
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Cable Modem Tests Slower Than Old One Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
I've been watching the NHL playoffs on my laptop via SlingTV, but have been having issues (picture freezing, "choppy" stream, etc.).

After a couple of nights of this, I started wondering if maybe it was my cable modem. The modem is about 3 years old and is DOCSIS 3.0. I have Comcast cable and my download speed averages 70mpbs.

I purchased a new Motorola cable modem with the DOCSIS 3.1 technology. To my surprise, my download speed has gone down. I ran tests on four different sites and the best speed I logged was 66mpbs.

This is mystery to me. I hoped to get some more speed, and thought - at worst - the speed would not change. I did not expect it to slow down.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? or if there is something different I should be doing (apart from returning the new modem for a refund? Razz )

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Input cable is kinked.

The Os are fine but the 1s get caught up in the corners.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I would think 66 Mbps should be plenty fast to stream video to your PC. Netflix, for example, says you need "5 Mbps to stream HD content and 25 Mbps for 4K Ultra HD content", but you'll want faster speeds if you plan to connect several devices at once. Not sure what the specs are for Sling TV, but wouldn't expect that to be too far off.

Cable Internet speeds can vary during the day depending on how many other cable subscribers are pulling data down in your neighborhood at any given time.

That said, I'm guessing your buffering issue was caused by something other than the cable modem.

Was your laptop using a wireless connection or was it plugged into an Ethernet cable? Typically, you'll get better speed from a cable (although that's not always the case, there are lots of factors that come into play).

Were there other devices streaming from the Internet at the same time?

What kind of router do you have (and how old is it)?

ETA: Did you test your download speed plugged directly into the cable modem?

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

I don't think it's this. The Comcast tech was pretty sloppy, but I had him walk me through the cable install and had him fix places where the cable might kink or pinch.

quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
... but you'll want faster speeds if you plan to connect several devices at once.

That said, I'm guessing your buffering issue was caused by something other than the cable modem.

This is sounding like it is the issue. When I sit down and think about it, there are a lot of devices competing for bandwidth via wifi: two smartphones; 2 iPads, 2 laptops, a wifi-connected printer, a wifi-connected backup device, and a Nest thermostat; I also have a Sonos system running 6 speakers throughout the house. I'm sure there are other connected devices I'm not even remembering right now.

quote:
Was your laptop using a wireless connection or was it plugged into an Ethernet cable? Typically, you'll get better speed from a cable (although that's not always the case, there are lots of factors that come into play).

The cable modem is connected via ethernet to the wifi router. The only device directed connected to the wifi router is a third laptop I use as a music server (my iTunes library).

quote:

It's an Apple AirPort Extreme. It's about 2 years old and is at 802.11ac.

quote:

No. I ran the test through my laptop connected via wifi.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you only turn the laptop on when you want to watch something, it may be installing updates or scanning for virusii, taking up processor time when you want to stream.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you are testing through a Wi-Fi connection then the test is worthless. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
... but you'll want faster speeds if you plan to connect several devices at once.

This is sounding like it is the issue. When I sit down and think about it, there are a lot of devices competing for bandwidth via wifi: two smartphones; 2 iPads, 2 laptops, a wifi-connected printer, a wifi-connected backup device, and a Nest thermostat; I also have a Sonos system running 6 speakers throughout the house. I'm sure there are other connected devices I'm not even remembering right now.

Most of those devices (unless they're all streaming video) I would think would have a minimal impact on your network. Not sure about the Sonos speakers though. For example, at any given time I have 20+ networked devices on my network at any given time (somewhere between 4 and 15 wireless devices and 15 to 20 wired depending on what I'm working on). That includes 2 Roku streaming devices and only once have I had buffering issues and that was due to the cable line that was buried under ground going bad.

quote:

quote:
It's an Apple AirPort Extreme. It's about 2 years old and is at 802.11ac.

I personally don't have any experience with that router so I won't be able to help much there... I am a fan of the ASUS routers though. Of the consumer grade router brands I have had (Netgear, Linksys and one other I can't recall), the ASUS routers have outperformed in every way including timely firmware updates and reliability.

quote:

quote:
No. I ran the test through my laptop connected via wifi.

I'd recommend plugging the laptop directly into the cable modem (make sure your laptop's firewall is running) and run a speed test there to get a baseline. Next I'd plug the router back in to the modem and plug the laptop into the router and run a speed test there. That will tell you a) the speed you're getting from your provider (at the cable modem) and b) if the router is the limiting factor. Usually a wireless connection will be slower than a wired connection.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I did not know I should be direct connecting to the modem for the speed test. I will do that next.

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys.

I did not know I should be direct connecting to the modem for the speed test. I will do that next.

It’s not that you *shoukd* be, but you can and it’ll give you more useful trouble shooting data points. Run the test cdirectky plugged into the modem, write down the results. Then plug the router back into the modem and then your laptop into the router, run the test again. Write down the results. Then remove the wire between the laptop and router and run it a third time. Compare results.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Fire Tv hook ups. Plus the lap top, wife's I Pad and 2 I Phones that have the potential to be on the wifi all at the same time but never are. I run DirecTv Now app for tv streaming. I have been getting buffering lately that has gotten downright annoying. It's hard to determine if it's my internet or the app.

On rare occasion the app will just shut itself down and I have to restart so I know that's the app. I'm pretty certain my isp get's overloaded certain times of the day or evening which is why I have most of my buffering issues.
I thought if they advertised a certain download speed that is what they had to provide you consistently at a minimum.

I think I'm going to try to run a ethernet cable to one of the tv's and see if that solves the issue.

I don't know about other apps but the Amazon Fire Tv allows me to go into app settings. When I'm done streaming on a tv I go into settings force stop the app and then clear the cache before shutting the tv off. If you just shut the tv off the app continues to stream.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What speeds are you paying for from Comcast? It almost sounds like you might be getting their 50mbps service. Usually these days you’ll get slightly faster throughput that what you pay for....ie I usually see around 130mbps on my 100 mbps service from Mediacom. If this is the case then that’s all you’re going to get.

Your router is plenty fast enough to get the speeds you should be getting wirelessly, it’s essentially the same thing as what we have here (3TB Time Capsule) and we easily get the throughput that we pay for wirelessly. If there is a difference between wired and wirelessly I would venture to say it’s caused by interference from other radio signals around you. If you’re not already using the 5Ghz radio then switch from the 2.4Ghz radio to the 5Ghz. You’re range might suffer as a result but you should encounter much less interference.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

I don't think it's this. The Comcast tech was pretty sloppy, but I had him walk me through the cable install and had him fix places where the cable might kink or pinch.

quote:

You mean several devices streaming video, I imagine. Because, for most people, 75mb/s is more than sufficient for a couple streamers and a bunch of web browsing, etc.

quote:
quote:

This is sounding like it is the issue.

That would be my guess.

quote:
When I sit down and think about it, there are a lot of devices competing for bandwidth via wifi: two smartphones; 2 iPads, 2 laptops, a wifi-connected printer, a wifi-connected backup device, and a Nest thermostat; I also have a Sonos system running 6 speakers throughout the house. I'm sure there are other connected devices I'm not even remembering right now.

None of those things will have any appreciable impact on your bandwidth, except for any phones, tablets or laptops actively streaming video. And maybe the backup device, but I'd assume that's active during the wee hours of the morning, when the network is otherwise unused.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If you are testing through a Wi-Fi connection then the test is worthless. Eek

Eh. Depends upon the WiFi connection.

Modern 802.11n or ac connections are more than capable of way exceeding 75mb/s.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
As smschultz said, your testing methodology is worthless.

If you want to test you must talk directly -wired- to the modem and not sharing bandwith with anything else. The router must be removed from the equation along with all its clients.

Otherwise, you are talking to the man who saw the man who saw the bear...

You are considering your router and wifi traffic as a constant. They aren't. Router will be busy with other devices traffic and your wifi is affected by variables such as computer background traffic, electronic noise from other appliances and humidity, to name a few.

Wire your computer to the modem,suspend all update services, mail traffic and anything you know that connects manually or automatically to tne net and then run your tests.
Using msconfig to access the services console, disabling all non MS services and rebooting will get you halfway there. Just reenable and reboot once done.

The wifi measurement is a lie.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
You haven't said what modem you bought (unless I missed it). Hopefully not the SB6190 model.

Nothing wrong with DOCSIS 3.0 really for what you're talking about, my speedtest hits 100+ down, 10+ up with an SB6183 (using a beater Fujitsu T900 tablet/laptop on wifi while another device downloads an 80GB torrent file) which is still DOCSIS 3.0.

Which modem did you buy?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sorry, 0-0, but most of what you wrote is balderdash.

Yes: The WiFi network may be at fault. It also might not. That alone is reason enough to go wired. But most of what you wrote is entirely unnecessary if the WiFi network is performing properly and not currently loaded.

I just ran a speed test from my iPad, and got 60mb/s down on my 50mb/s Internet connection. (This is typical.) Nearly the 10mb/s up I'm supposed to get. This is normal for my network and my Internet connection.

I didn't kick anything off the network or disable any services anywhere. That includes on the Internet server that's sitting here serving HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, SSH, SMTP, IMAP, NTP and DNS, among others.

Currently on the wireless network are a TV and DVR via a wireless bridge, a BD player, two tablets, two phones and two wireless cameras. The wired network has the network server, a Linux desktop, the AP, a printer and the alarm system currently on-line.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you truly want to evaluate the Cable Modem you need to use the most reliable duplex connection method.
Connect directly to the modem.
Anybody with any technical skills knows better than to introduce unreliable variables into the equation aka a Wi-Fi connection.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many many times have I had customers hard wire a device to a modem and they get the correct speeds, this happens mostly in apartment complexes or with folks trying to run several devices at a time or at great distances. The screams and cries of "your service sucks" die down very quickly when they realize I am not lying when I tell them that wifi speeds and connections are a different animal from a true hardwired connection, especially when the hardwired connection is running 20-30 mbps above what they are subscribed to.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
What speeds are you paying for from Comcast?

I'm paying for "up to 60mpbs" and so don't really have a beef with Comcast as I was getting up to 70mpbs - but that was testing over wifi.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Thanks. Big Grin

The Comcast tech really was bad though.

He ran the cable into the basement and then up through the floor into my study. I wanted the modem placed on a high shelf in the closet where I was going to place the wifi router. He ran the cable along the wall and then through the gap between the closet door and the door frame where the cable would be crunched ever time I closed the door. Roll Eyes

I suggested that *perhaps* he could bring the cable up from the basement directly into the closet. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
You haven't said what modem you bought (unless I missed it). Hopefully not the SB6190 model.

It's the Motorola Model MB8600.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you truly want to evaluate the Cable Modem you need to use the most reliable duplex connection method.
Connect directly to the modem.

Again: Only true if the wireless connection is degraded. Any modern wireless network is more than capable of utterly saturating a 60mb/s Internet connection.

Now if, in doing said test, the results are sub-optimal, then, yes: The next thing to do is eliminate all the variables you can by connecting directly to the CM with a wired connection.

Just for shits & grins... (fires-up laptop...) Running a "flood ping" (aka: "smoke ping") against my Internet border router's inside interface over the WLAN... Simultaneously run the speed test from my iPad.

iPad speed test: 55mb/s down, 10mb/s up (It's 50/10 service.)
Laptop ping results: Dropped 5 of 46508 pings, for a packet loss of 0.01%.

All that other stuff I earlier noted was running was also still running.

Waitaminute... Hahahahaha! Found the reason it was "only" 55mb/s down, instead of the 60 seen earlier.

Walked out to the family room, where my wife was watching something on TV. "Honey, is that on the DVR or the Roku box?" "The Roku," she replies. The WiFi-connected Roku. "Notice any degradation?" "Nope." "Thanks, honey." Then I had to explain why I was laughing.

quote:
Anybody with any technical skills knows better than to introduce unreliable variables into the equation aka a Wi-Fi connection.

I guess I have no technical skills, then.

quote:
The Comcast tech really was bad though.

He ran the cable into the basement and then up through the floor into my study. I wanted the modem placed on a high shelf in the closet where I was going to place the wifi router. He ran the cable along the wall and then through the gap between the closet door and the door frame where the cable would be crunched ever time I closed the door. Roll Eyes

I suggested that *perhaps* he could bring the cable up from the basement directly into the closet. Razz

I ran my own inside wiring.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Ok, you win! Happy now ? Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post