SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today's my birthday and I remember...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's my birthday and I remember... Login/Join 
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted
I remember that as a child any adult could correct my ill-mannered behavior and any adult would help me if I was in a jam

I remember that getting a lick in school was far better than taking a note home to my Mom who would then give it to my Dad.

I remember playing recess football and deer and dog and getting scrapes and scratches and every kid I knew had a band aid on sometime during the week.

I remember summer vacation-time leaving home in the morning and being told to not get into trouble and to be back for dinner, just like every other kid I knew.

I remember sitting in friend’s living rooms looking at the Civil War memorabilia of their great-grandfathers: Rebel battle-flags, bayonets, minie balls and all manner of what-not.

I remember hunkering under a student desk in Air-Raid drills and the uneasy feeling of fear it instilled. When I told my Dad about it he put his hand on my shoulder and told me not to worry because nothing would happen but if it did it would be over in a second and it wouldn’t hurt; and that was a great relief.

I remember when the Klan firebombed our church (Catholic) in the middle of the night.

I remember being told by our high school football coach that on away games he expected us to act like ‘civilized’ folks, and he meant it.

I remember living in Jacksonville N.C and watching the approaching Russian ships with their Atom bombs on TV.

I remember being home from college after my 1st year of NROTC and watching the reporting of the Gulf of Tonkin incident and realizing that things just changed

I remember coming home from Viet Nam and being met by hostile hippies in the San Francisco airport.

I remember taking a company of Marines to Washington D.C. in 1971 because Abbie Hoffman and 500,000 of his closest peace-loving friends were going to levitate the Pentagon. And I remember the socks filled with sand and thumb-tacks and the Frisbees with the razor blades poking out the side.

I remember family and friends and shipmates and colleagues and the blessed life I’m living.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday!

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday!

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday!

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, and thank you for your service

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
We remember a lot of the same things.

Happy Birthday!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember a lot of those items, wish I had a time machine to take us back to those conditions, as I think we were all better off.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday.
Makes me remember things very similar.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
... wish I had a time machine to take us back to those conditions, as I think we were all better off.

Yes! Minus the hippies.

Happy Birthday wishful thinker and I also thank you for your service!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Wait what’s deer and dog?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember that getting a lick in school was far better than taking a note home to my Mom who would then give it to my Dad.

^^^ Boy, Howdy!

Sounds like you and I are about the same age.

Happy Birthday!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
I remember taking a company of Marines to Washington D.C. in 1971 because Abbie Hoffman and 500,000 of his closest peace-loving friends were going to levitate the Pentagon. And I remember the socks filled with sand and thumb-tacks and the Frisbees with the razor blades poking out the side.

So which group had the toys?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
So which group had the toys?

The peace-loving hippie assholes, that's who.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday my friend...and many more Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday, and thank you for sharing your stories. I enjoyed reading this.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday sir. Thanks for your service!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday! I suspect I may be slightly older than you, but I have some of the same memories. (I was USAF 1960-1980.) However, I was never in VN so didn't have to experience the trauma of returning from there.

Thank you for your service.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
posted Hide Post
irreverent asked: Wait what’s deer and dog?

It's really pretty sophisticated and hard to learn. Mrs. Humphrey would always tell us to come back on the bell and if she said 'No Deer and Dog' that told us for some reason that we had a long recess. So then we would argue down the hallway about who were deer and who were dogs, it was North Carolina in the 50s and that was how deer were hunted then, I don't know anymore. Anyway by the time we got to the door we had it sorted out and then the deer would run like hell to the cane field on the other side of the trees from the playground and about ten seconds later the dogs would come after the deer. If the dogs caught a deer they'd grab him and roll him in the dirt and then he'd be a dog and help chase the deer. Well, maybe it's not really that complicated. Maybe sweaty is a better description.

PHPaul said: Sounds like you and I are about the same age.

Close, I think I'm older what with being more mature and stuff. 73 but I prefer to think of it as 26,663 days because that seems longer and I have an excuse for being such a wreck.

Fenris asked: So which group had the toys?
New to SIG said: The peace-loving hippie assholes, that's who.

Nailed It.

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys. It's been a pretty great day.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
However, I was never in VN so didn't have to experience the trauma of returning from there.

Thank you for your service.

flashguy

Thanks, proud to do it. The peaceful demonstrators weren't so much traumatizing as confusing. Pencil neck geeks for the most part. The real fun was at my next duty station, AFEES (Armed Forces Entrance and Examination Station) Portland, OR. Induction was on Wednesdays and every week for the year that I was there, that would be 1969 into 1970, the peaceful demonstrators would show up with bags of dog-crap, paint or just a simple brick and redecorate the joint. a couple of times through really bad luck they caught a clerk who was late and she would get roughed up some. We are talking here about women in their 50s walking to a civil service job. I fucking hate peaceful demonstrators. But I'm over it now, seriously...really, I never give it a thought anymore. Cool

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
irreverent asked: Wait what’s deer and dog?

It's really pretty sophisticated and hard to learn. Mrs. Humphrey would always tell us to come back on the bell and if she said 'No Deer and Dog' that told us for some reason that we had a long recess. So then we would argue down the hallway about who were deer and who were dogs, it was North Carolina in the 50s and that was how deer were hunted then, I don't know anymore. Anyway by the time we got to the door we had it sorted out and then the deer would run like hell to the cane field on the other side of the trees from the playground and about ten seconds later the dogs would come after the deer. If the dogs caught a deer they'd grab him and roll him in the dirt and then he'd be a dog and help chase the deer. Well, maybe it's not really that complicated. Maybe sweaty is a better description.

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys. It's been a pretty great day.

Thanks for the explanation! Very obvious, I spose, I just never heard it called that! Sounds like the sharks and minnows I watched my son play during hockey practice. I’m glad your birthday was great!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post