SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bourbon dilemma, I need your opinion. Update on page 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon dilemma, I need your opinion. Update on page 4 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Trace and Eagles Rare in different bottles

All out of the Buffalo Trace Distillery

https://www.buffalotracedistil...brands/buffalo-trace

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I vote for drink it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Buffalo Trace and Eagles Rare in different bottles

All out of the Buffalo Trace Distillery

https://www.buffalotracedistil...brands/buffalo-trace

Same distillery. Not the same liquor.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Blanton's is uncommon but not rare. In central Texas it is a help to be a regular at the LLS because Blanton's is often cached in the office. As a near flavor sub try Elijah Craig or Willett Pot Still Reserve.

IMO, of the BT lineup the regular Weller, Sazerac Rye, and Col. EH Taylor BiB Small Batch are GTG.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drink it. You’ll come across more at some point or find a source that isn’t ABC. It comes and goes in many markets and is easy to find in others. They make more all the time.

Blanton’s is Buffalo Trace’s mashbill #2 as are Hancock’s Reserve, Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T Lee, and the lowly Ancient Age. Warehouse location and barrel age make each a different profile. Blanton’s releases other versions in foreign markets. The Gold and Straight from the Barrel versions are very popular.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Drink it. Blantons is good to go.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Smeh blantons.... drink it.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Drink it.

99% of its popularity, IMO, is due to John Wick. At some point I suspect the popularity will die down, but you could probably sell it and make a nice little profit Wink

Personally I think Buffalo Trace is better tasting.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I had three bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old bourbon. I decided to drink them and told myself I'd find another bottle down the road. That was over 10 years ago and I've never been able to get a bottle since.

They go for around $3000 a bottle now so I'll probably never have another. Frown

I've never had trouble finding Blanton's.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I understand how you feel. I keep stock on the bourbons I like and slow down if inventory gets short. I like to drink what I like when I want to so I work to keep it on hand, but some are always going to be short. For instance, I just finished an 18 yr. Elijah Craig, and I've only got 1 bottle left.

Around here, Blantons has become little more difficult to get, but not to the point I keep more than 3-4 bottles around. Interestingly, 2 375 ml bottles is cheaper than 1 750, so I'll gladly buy the small ones.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a bottle sitting in my cabinet. It’s decent. Readily available at any liquor store in my town including BevMo and Costco.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone so the verdict is to drink it Big Grin.
I will probably open it tonight.
I did not realize it was easier to get in other parts of the country. Every place I checked in central Florida say they have a list. One store said their list had 50 names on it. I am on several list.
It had been mentioned Total Wines in Orlando has it in stock. Even though it is an hour or more from where I live it might be worth taking a trip.
If I have a hard time finding another bottle of Blanton's what are some other good choices?

Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Thanks everyone so the verdict is to drink it Big Grin.
I will probably open it tonight.
I did not realize it was easier to get in other parts of the country. Every place I checked in central Florida say they have a list. One store said their list had 50 names on it. I am on several list.
It had been mentioned Total Wines in Orlando has it in stock. Even though it is an hour or more from where I live it might be worth taking a trip.
If I have a hard time finding another bottle of Blanton's what are some other good choices?

Thanks

Look up Whiskey Vault on YouTube....

Four roses single barrel
Jefferson’s ocean
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit

Just to name a few

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I had three bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old bourbon.

Just think. What if something really bad happened to you and the bottles end up going to your heirs.

LBTRS, never having tasted Pappy, how did it compare to Blanton?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
I've had the 23 y/o Pappy, and while it is very good, it was not, IMO, $3000 a bottle good. As compared to Blanton's, I'd say it was close. Two different flavor profiles though.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had the 23 YO Pappy, so let me get that out of the way right off the bat. That said, some of my favorites come from the Wild Turkey distillery and master Jimmy Russell (Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel, Kentucky Spirit). Jimmy once said that, in his opinion, there is a limit to the barrel aging process and that after about 9 years, the charred oak overpowers the bourbon. That may or may not be true, but it keeps me from lusting after Pappy 23 Wink

ETA: This quote from Jimmy Russell. I didn’t have his words exactly right; this is what he said.

quote:
Jimmy Russell, Master Distiller, Wild Turkey Distillery:
“My personal taste is, I think Bourbon does not start maturing until about six, seven, eight years. It gets much over 12 years old, I don’t care much for it. You lose a lot of the caramel, the vanilla, the sweetness. And the white oak wood becomes the dominant flavor. And I just don’t like a lot of woody taste.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
...Jimmy once said that, in his opinion, there is a limit to the barrel aging process and that after about 9 years, the charred oak overpowers the bourbon. That may or may not be true, but it keeps me from lusting after Pappy 23 Wink

And thinking like this makes you $3K richer Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Blanton's is a "session" bourbon.

Good taste and very smooth.

I would limit yourself to 2-3 bottles per week.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Pappy 15 is better than the 23, all day long, every day, IMO, because the sweet spot for Bourbon tends to be in the 12-18yr range.

I have enjoyed a fair amount of the now long gone Stitzel Weller era Pappy 20, which I do like, but I've always preferred the 15 (and their Rye) to any of the older ones.

And paying $3000 for any of them is the epitome of ludicrousness.

They're fantastic bottles of $50-100 whiskey, no doubt. But once it's north of $100 the "return" diminishes exponentially. It's like cheeseburgers... I've had some amazing $10-20 burgers, that while pricey aren't ridiculous, but we all know that there's just no way a $500 burger is $480 better than a $20 one. It's not. It can't be. Not objectively, at least.

Don't get caught up in the hype. One of Bourbon's greatest qualities is how it's not like fancy old Scotch and is usually priced accordingly, or used to be before bloggers and the like. The lack of pretentiousness has been all but ruined by the trends, flippers, etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The high end liquor shops in my area generally have 8-10 bottles in stock at all times. Last time I picked some up I got 3 bottles, one for myself, one for my Brother In Law, and one for my Nephew.

However while it is a bit smoother than plain old Buffalo Trace the flavor profiles are very close. So my Go To Bourbon is Buffalo Trace which I can pick up any day of the week at a nearby Kroger Marketplace. Note, they also have the Jim Beam Double Cask and based on the positive review posted in this thread I just may try a bottle.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post