SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My daughter in EMT school.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My daughter in EMT school. Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
RNShooter said it well. If she follows in the medical field she’ll see things that will disturb her at some point, whether it’s now at 17 or later. As I mentioned, it’s a great way to get her feet wet and see if it’s really for her. I worked 911 in Fort Worth, TX. Not as bad as some places, but I saw enough during my tenure. Good luck! Feel free to PM if y’all have any questions.

quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I spent ten years as a paramedic, wears on a person...but if she’s interested in the medical field it’s an excellent way for her to get her feet wet at 17!

I remember reading your post a few weeks back on how you still have problems from what you have seen when you were on a crew. I brought this up with my wife as I wonder what affect this will have on my daughter. Will she eventually have PTSD?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
One more thing:

Prepare her for the fact that she is going to be the object of a lot male attention. Many people think that absolutely nothing is hotter than a girl in EMT pants. She's going to get hit on, constantly. That can be disturbing and/or distracting. If there's someone on the squad, that you trust, that can act as a "big brother" and deflect some of it, so much the better.
Last thing: Tell her to not marry a firefighter, paramedic, or a cop. At least, until after she graduates from college Wink

Bruce

I know several people that are EMT's in the squad. Two teachers that I work with keep an eye out for her.

When I worked at a municipal utility as an Environmental Scientist one of my jobs was the safety coordinator. I had been certified in AED/CPR. I wish when I was younger back then I took more classes to become an EMT. Classes for her end at 10:00pm 3 nights a week and 8 hour class every other Sunday. Now retired, I work a few days a week as a substitute teacher. I'm lucky I can keep my eyes open past 9:30 most nights. I couldn't keep the schedule she can.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post