SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My daughter in EMT school.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My daughter in EMT school. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
My daughter, 17 years old and a junior in high school is taking the 3 month course at night to become an EMT. She wants to be a surgeon, but I think it is too early to pick a career before college. Not that people don't think they want to do something but how many of us that went to college see students change their major several times? She has the brains, and could be a surgeon.

Here is the good part. Last night her instructor a LEO and an EMT taught the class. He asked who thinks that guns kill people? He then quickly followed it up with people kill people, the gun is only what they used. Don't blame guns on people being killed. I was happy to hear him tell the class the truth.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for her. A skill that’s seriously needed and will assist her in helping with the costs of college

Congrats Sir

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, from a Basic.

I became an EMT-B at age 49 and work as a Volunteer for our Department. This will provide her with a wonderful foundation from which she will grow.

She will get to see the best and maybe the worst people she may ever encounter in her life.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I hope she is taking college prep courses, and looking into a premed major. It's a long hard slog but very worth it. And if in the middle she decides on a different specialty from surgery, there are lots to choose from. Best of luck to her!!

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The skills she is going to learn are what I call "life skills."

By that I mean skills that will stay with her and stay useful for her lifetime.

There are thousands of other simple life skills, clearing a stopped toilet, changing a flat, mixing a martini, and other that aren't so easy like keeping your head when the SHTF, stopping blood loss (particularly on yourself).

Tell her I wish her well, both in the EMT class and in her career as a surgeon.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I hope she is taking college prep courses, and looking into a premed major. It's a long hard slog but very worth it. And if in the middle she decides on a different specialty from surgery, there are lots to choose from. Best of luck to her!!

She is actually getting college credits as a junior in high school. So far she has 8, Next semester she will get another 8. I have to pay the college for each credit she takes just as if she were in college. She has narrowed down to not only brain surgery, but neuro brain surgery. This past summer she was supposed to intern in a hospital in Atlanta for a doctor but the hospital said at 16 she was too young. Money down the drain for us on that. We had told the doctor more than once via email her age but he didn't think at the time it would be a problem. We have friends in Georgia, so she had a place to stay, but the commute into Atlanta would have been tough.
She flew home, stayed a week and flew up to New Hampshire to observe my sister in law in her vet practice.
The school she attends now is a math and science high school. To get in a student needed 2 years of A's in 7th and 8th grade, Then take a test that 750 students in the county signed up for. They accept 60 new students per year. So far straight A's, lowest grade was a 96. Her older brother graduated from there, went on to Stevens University known for their Engineering. He now has his computer engineering degree and employed at a company he really likes and pays well.
Wife, now a teacher has her P.E. in Civil Engineering. Grandfather is a doctor. her Grandmother a microbiologist, Aunt, small animal vet. Me, just retired Environmental Scientist. I think she has the work ethic to be what ever she wants to be. She is driven, sometimes I worry about burn out, but she tells us she will let us know if it gets to intense. She is in a few clubs at school, and is in the school bands in our hometown high school.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Sir! Congratulations!

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your fire department does ride alongs I would encourage her to do one. It would open her eyes as to what goes on in the field. It's good for a future doctor to see what goes on at the basic level of medicine. We had docs doing ride alongs with us all the time. Best of luck to her.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
It's a journey...

I became an EMT at 18 and a Paramedic at 20. It was a convoluted trail so that I could work my way through college toward a different goal, but alas, life happened...

It's good stuff, and she can make some spending money while in college. I'd encourage her as much as possible for the Dr. route. Even if two or three years from now she decides to do something different, a firm foundation in math and sciences will leave her a lot of options to turn to.

Shoot for the stars, if you will Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
She is actually getting college credits as a junior in high school. So far she has 8, Next semester she will get another 8. I have to pay the college for each credit she takes just as if she were in college. She has narrowed down to not only brain surgery, but neuro brain surgery. This past summer she was supposed to intern in a hospital in Atlanta for a doctor but the hospital said at 16 she was too young. Money down the drain for us on that. We had told the doctor more than once via email her age but he didn't think at the time it would be a problem. We have friends in Georgia, so she had a place to stay, but the commute into Atlanta would have been tough.
She flew home, stayed a week and flew up to New Hampshire to observe my sister in law in her vet practice.
The school she attends now is a math and science high school. To get in a student needed 2 years of A's in 7th and 8th grade, Then take a test that 750 students in the county signed up for. They accept 60 new students per year. So far straight A's, lowest grade was a 96. Her older brother graduated from there, went on to Stevens University known for their Engineering. He now has his computer engineering degree and employed at a company he really likes and pays well.
Wife, now a teacher has her P.E. in Civil Engineering. Grandfather is a doctor. her Grandmother a microbiologist, Aunt, small animal vet. Me, just retired Environmental Scientist. I think she has the work ethic to be what ever she wants to be. She is driven, sometimes I worry about burn out, but she tells us she will let us know if it gets to intense. She is in a few clubs at school, and is in the school bands in our hometown high school.

Fantastic! She is well on her way. Intelligence, focus, hard work, persistence will pave the road to success for her.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:
If your fire department does ride alongs I would encourage her to do one. It would open her eyes as to what goes on in the field. It's good for a future doctor to see what goes on at the basic level of medicine. We had docs doing ride alongs with us all the time. Best of luck to her.

We had a lot of nurses do ride-alongs but *never* a doc...they were always too busy with...well..anything to see what the guys on the patch phone actually have to deal with. Sucks to be them!

Most of the nurses were shocked at the conditions we worked in.
(Yeah, a trailer with only a swamp cooler in Phx summer combined with vomit and a bleeding rectum is a gagfest)
Some - the strong ED nurses - jumped in when the opportunity presented itself. Those we LOVED having along for the ride. Smile

rtquig - your daughter sounds like she is a type A focused kind of person.
I'm sure that no matter what field she ultimately pursues, she will do well with it. God bless her.

Congratulations Dad! Ya did good!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
She wants to be a surgeon, but I think it is too early to pick a career before college. Not that people don't think they want to do something but how many of us that went to college see students change their major several times? She has the brains, and could be a surgeon.

I have a whole bunch of friends that are doctors. Every single one of them knew before college that's what they wanted to do.

Medical school and residency are hell. The people that decide it's a good idea and then actually manage to get through it are the ones that KNOW that they HAVE to be a doctor and have known it for a long time.

There are people that get to college and start pre-med and decide maybe that isn't what they want to do after all, but I don't know anyone who just up and decided one day "maybe I'll go to med school and be a doctor" and then actually did it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she's got her head screwed on pretty straight. Wish her my best and hope she gets all out of life she deserves.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is awesome, sounds like she has her thinking in line.

Also when she graduates and if she still wants to be a DR. there is a massive shortage of Pathologists across the US, and numerous opportunities for internships and scholarships.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:

Thanks for the tip. She is currently a member of the First Aide Squad and goes on calls.

Living the Dream

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I spent ten years as a paramedic, wears on a person...but if she’s interested in the medical field it’s an excellent way for her to get her feet wet at 17!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I spent ten years as a paramedic, wears on a person...but if she’s interested in the medical field it’s an excellent way for her to get her feet wet at 17!

I remember reading your post a few weeks back on how you still have problems from what you have seen when you were on a crew. I brought this up with my wife as I wonder what affect this will have on my daughter. Will she eventually have PTSD?

Living the Dream

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
There's no way to tell what she will see or how she will deal with it. If she has lots of support, especially from co-workers, she will likely be fine. It also depends on the community that she's going out on calls in. If it's a small town without a lot of drugs and violence, she will miss out on a ton of the calls that show you how cruel and stupid man can be.
I hope she has nothing but calls where she walks away feeling like she helped someone in need and feels great about it.
Be prepared to talk it out, when she sees the awful things. That's all you can do.

Doing this, by the way, will prepare her for many things in life and make her a more complete person, to boot. It's not easy to be a bystander to life after working in EMS. Helpers help. Having some skills will make her want to help more. That will follow her throughout life.

Good for her and you!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
there is a massive shortage of Pathologists across the US,

You still get to do surgery and you don't have to worry about killing anyone. Wink

Win win.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
One more thing:

Prepare her for the fact that she is going to be the object of a lot male attention. Many people think that absolutely nothing is hotter than a girl in EMT pants. She's going to get hit on, constantly. That can be disturbing and/or distracting. If there's someone on the squad, that you trust, that can act as a "big brother" and deflect some of it, so much the better.
Last thing: Tell her to not marry a firefighter, paramedic, or a cop. At least, until after she graduates from college Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post