SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do I bolt the safe to a basemnet poured wall?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I bolt the safe to a basemnet poured wall? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may need body armor as well. Where did you decide to live in Jackson? If I recall you were looking at short term rentals.

Michael - didn't want to clutter up the thread, but no email in your profile. Shoot me one at mine if you like; buying in Madison.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Tagged to follow.

After reading all the risks of hitting a post-tension cable, I was considering this for a safe in our current slab house. Figured I could slow a casual crook down about as much by bolting to studs as floor, and for a serious thief neither will matter.

Moving to a different home, same construction, and plan to have a safe installed within a few weeks of arrival there.

It's Jackson, MS. I need at least a safe....

If you've ever ran a hammer drill you can tell the difference from drilling in one material to the next. I've never heard of them being used in residential construction. Maybe it has to do with geology of where houses are. It's all rebar here, so very small risk of hitting anything.

We get X-ray's done when we need to drill through commercial buildings, but that's rather pricey and may cost as much or more than safe.

I was told, here I think, that if I've got all the patched hole doohickeys (technical term alert!) on outside/side of foundation every 1-2 feet, that is a sign of post-tension slabs.

I may have been misled!

It could also be patches from drilling the house and shooting in subterranian termite poison. That is very common to drill every 18-24" shoot the termidor in there and then patch it.
Georgeair is correct that in this part of Texas (Houston up thru DFW) many homes are built on tensioned (pre or post) slabs. The reason is that we have a highly expansive clay soil that ground level varies 4" between dryest time of year and wettest time of year. It's hell on foundations so we build them stout to minimize damage. Homes having to be jacked and leveled are unfortunately common. We have "foundation loops" on our sprinkler systems to keep the moisture level equal as possible at the foundation edge.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post