SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much ethnic/nationality/sexuality diversity is in your immediate and extended family nowadays?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much ethnic/nationality/sexuality diversity is in your immediate and extended family nowadays? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm a secret Asian man.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Descended from Russian / Polish Jews, immigrated via Ellis Island late 19th century.

My mother was the first in her family, who was born in the U.S.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family is white bread from way back including some crown sympathizers who bailed to Canada during the revolution and some others who were in US army and can be documented. My grandma was pretty proud of her daughters of the american revolution membership.

My dad had a couple of old aunties who he said were native and in the words of Elizabeth they had the high cheekbones. So it must have been true. My nephew has recently come out officially as gay but it was no surprise to anybody.

I ended up marrying a white girl who has similar family history including the occasional native. But I seriously dated a Hispanic woman in my early 20s who I would have married but she told me her parents would disown her. So I lost out to family honor. Real or imagined.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
my mom's family traces their lineage back to England..and a buncha Scots and Irish that my grand ma didn't trace...but we go back to someone who signed the Magna Carta...

my dad's side of the family can trace themselves back to Italy and his father to Kassal Germany-but he was a jew so they left after the first World War....

one bro is crippled

one bro is that raging gay guy who insists shoving his agenda down your throat...and incidently married a black guy (Who looks just like Eddie Murphy)

I think me and Gunny Hartman would get along.. he once said, "I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers....you are all equally worthless."

We got mom the DNA thing and she was surprised that there was a some percentage of Scandinavian in our family...I had to remind her that the Vikings pillaged everything they could and spread across the now UK as far as they could..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Great Grandmother remarried a Native American man after being a widow for several years. No kids.

Uncle's 3rd or 4th marriage was to his translator from business trip to China. No kids.

Cousin is lesbian.

The rest of us are straight crackers roughly 75% English / 25% German as far as I can tell. Pretty difficult to track of them from 1780s to 1880s as both sides of the family went back and forth between Ontario Province and Upper Midwest a bunch of times.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
My family is a mix of white, african american and asian

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My relatives are all KY / WV hillbilly and proud of it.
Moving to the Yoop makes me the northern most member of the clan.
Sisu, Y'all! Pasties and cat head biscuits for everybody!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much German across the board on both sides, with a little Austrian mixed in. Might explain why I don't like people very much (joke).
Paternal great, great grandfather married a Cherokee woman, otherwise we are a bunch of hillbilly crackers.
No lbgtq influence that I'm aware of.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We are very white. Even the extended family and in-laws. My wife is the most "exotic," but that just means she is half Italian and one quarter European-origin Mexican. The rest of us are northern Europeans; Germans, Englishmen, Welshmen, and one Irish brother-in-law.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Immediate family white and straight but I’m 1/4 German Jewish (grandfather adopted when great-grandfather, an invalid since the Civil War, had to give his kids up for adoption).
Extended family includes a nephew who is gay, a grand-niece being brought up as a boy, and brother’s second wife is English.
None of that matters to me (except very bothered by a child being pushed into thinking of themselves as trans).

The diversity that’s important is my brother’s side is all extreme leftist, except for one daughter who is just leftist. All our kids are conservative to moderate-conservative.

I won’t get into religion, which is a different and important kind of diversity.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
My dad's ancestors arrived from Cumbria, England in the 1680s into New Jersey. My mom's ancestors arrived from Freudenberg, Germany in the 1730s into Georgia then shortly thereafter, Virginia. I understand there may be a Native American somewhere in my dad's line. Other than that, both sides remained European-American up to my dad's brother, who married a woman from Puerto Rico. My son married a girl who is ethnically Latina/Filipina/Native American.

During the Revolution, my dad's ancestors were loyalists, and my mom's were patriots. During the Civil War, my dad's were union, my mom's were rebels. South Carolina rebels.

About half my ancestors were men, the other half women.

I think most were heterosexual. I know my dad's cousin was a lesbian. The bitch could fly-fish, though, and could find a trout in a dry river bed.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Everybody's Greek, so I don't know exactly what that makes me. So I'll just go with American.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom traced lineage back to the Mayflower, but also includes Polish Jews.
Dad, and all ancestors on that side are from Ireland. We have a stereotypically Irish name. My wife is Chinese. Son-in-law Japanese, Nephew's wife Lao. Everyone seems "normal" on sexual morality and practice.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only one I know of is my daughter in law who is Chinese from Hong Kong. Love her to death. Not a kinder, sweeter person anywhere. She was naturalized about a year ago.

There is rumor of native american somewhere in the distant past on my father's side but no one has ever researched that family tree so I can't say for sure.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
English, Irish on one side, and German on the other... that's pretty diverse right? But my sister married an Italian... and the German's sometimes clash with those hot-headed southern crazy people. Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Everyone on my side of the family is white and from various European ancestries. Mrs. ShneaSiG is Chinese (and a naturalized U.S. citizen), and my beautiful little girl is a perfect blend of the two of us. On Mrs. ShneaSIG's side, they're all of Chinese ancestry, except my mother in law's second marriage is to a white dude.

Everyone in all families - both in the US and those in China - have been nothing but perfectly accepting, loving, and supportive.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post