SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Birthday "Paradox"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birthday "Paradox" Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And the responses here are unlikely to be random either. If I saw someone post my birthdate, I would be more likely to say, “Me, too,” than I would be to just wander in, look around, and move on to other things. We are looking at far more than the first 70 people who post, but rather the entire block of people who view the thread.

It’s like any other poll: Allowing self-selected respondents skews things significantly.

It would be interesting to try this same test but use wedding anniversaries...or perhaps our parent's wedding anniversaries would be more pertinent.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Interesting. The math part makes sense.

I wonder how it's affected by when people have sex. More people have sex in winter (nothing else better to do) so there are more summer/fall babies.

Reminds me of the time I was visiting an Air Force buddy who was stationed up in the UP (K I Sawyer). We crossed the Mackinac Bridge, pulled into a gas station to fuel up. Station wagon pulled up near us, dude got out, like 5 kids of assorted ages get out, wife gets out & she's obviously pregnant.

I looked at my buddy "What the hell, man?"

He shrugs his shoulders "Long winters"

The birthday paradox works only if the shared birthday is unspecified. The math is based on calculating the probability that the next person checked won't have a birthday like one of the prior ones.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
And the responses here are unlikely to be random either. If I saw someone post my birthdate, I would be more likely to say, “Me, too,” than I would be to just wander in, look around, and move on to other things. We are looking at far more than the first 70 people who post, but rather the entire block of people who view the thread.

It’s like any other poll: Allowing self-selected respondents skews things significantly.

It would be interesting to try this same test but use wedding anniversaries...or perhaps our parent's wedding anniversaries would be more pertinent.

Should be the same. As long as the number of choices is 365, the math works the same.

For example, you could ask 23 people to blindly pick one sock out of a box which contains 365 differently colored socks. Odds are 50% at least two pick the same color (assuming they all have the 365 items available to them to choose).

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Sept 30

Bang, game over. I'm end of third quarter too.

Even though I question the winter theory I live it. It must have been a cold boring January in Buffalo. Big Grin

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the service, I ran into a fellow Marine that was born on the same day, October 16th, and had the same name.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

Should be the same. As long as the number of choices is 365, the math works the same.

For example, you could ask 23 people to blindly pick one sock out of a box which contains 365 differently colored socks. Odds are 50% at least two pick the same color (assuming they all have the 365 items available to them to choose).

You're right of course. I worded my response poorly... culturally accepted norms and societal practices obviously differ over generations but I was curious to see if there was a correlation between children's birth dates and their parent's wedding dates. I suspect there used to be more of a correlation one or two generations ago than today.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's for fun. I doubt anyone doubts the math.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
College professor pointed this out in class as an easy money bet. To illustrate he started asking students beginning with the first chair in the first row. Found matching birthdays within the first 20 or so students.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My sister and I share a birthday, but we are not twins. She’s 10 years older.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
February the 17.

That is also my birthday.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Humans don't always have an instinctive feel for statistics.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Anyone here also born on the Winter Solstice?

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Not me, but which one?
(There are four days of the calendar when the winter solstice can occur: two in the northern hemisphere; two in the southern) Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My friend and I share the date, he’s one year older than I. We’re both retired, I call him the old fart. We met at a mutual friend’s house, he was working on his Jeep in the heated garage that night in 1968. Birthdays got mentioned, at that point we both said “today’s my birthday”

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
I share my birthday with my brother and a cousin.

My brother is 6 years older than me, and my cousin is one year younger than me.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was coming home one evening from work. Put on my blinker and start slowing down to turn onto my street and a guy in a brand new Benz AMG runs right into the back of my truck. We had the same birthday (different years) What is the chance of that?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
I was coming home one evening from work. Put on my blinker and start slowing down to turn onto my street and a guy in a brand new Benz AMG runs right into the back of my truck. We had the same birthday (different years) What is the chance of that?

1/365

Same odds as with any stranger on the street, car accident or not Smile

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I always heard it wa just 20 people in the room and there would almost always be two that had the same birthday.. but not year.

June 21st

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Not me, but which one?
(There are four days of the calendar when the winter solstice can occur: two in the northern hemisphere; two in the southern) Wink
The most frequent northern one.

flashguy