SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Birthday "Paradox"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birthday "Paradox" Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Not really a paradox,but interesting to learn that in a room of 23 people, there is a 50/50 chance that at least two people share a birthday.

In a room of 70 people, the odds are 99%. Almost a guaranty that of 70 people, 2 will share a birthday.

Seems counter-intuitive. The math says otherwise.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The math part makes sense.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-SQq0vfzrrg

I wonder how it's affected by when people have sex. More people have sex in winter (nothing else better to do) so there are more summer/fall babies.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have a son and a granddaughter with October 5th birthdays. I believe it is (or was) the most popular date here. Happy New Year!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Interesting. The math part makes sense.

I wonder how it's affected by when people have sex. More people have sex in winter (nothing else better to do) so there are more summer/fall babies.

Reminds me of the time I was visiting an Air Force buddy who was stationed up in the UP (K I Sawyer). We crossed the Mackinac Bridge, pulled into a gas station to fuel up. Station wagon pulled up near us, dude got out, like 5 kids of assorted ages get out, wife gets out & she's obviously pregnant.

I looked at my buddy "What the hell, man?"

He shrugs his shoulders "Long winters"

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Let's experiment. Somebody start a thread. First 70 members post. Then, let's see if we will come up with 2 people sharing the same BD.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I always questioned the "winter" thing. A lot of us have winter and are trapped inside but a large part of the population can play outside year round.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I was born on my mom’s birthday.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
I was born on my mom’s birthday.

One of my brothers was born on our mother's birthday.

As for when people have sex, I read something years ago pointing out that the traditional (European) June wedding was a good one for babies conceived immediately because they would be born in March and their first few months of life would be in the summer, a better time for nutrition and warmth. That is of course not of much relevance in developed countries today, but it would have been significant even 100 years ago.

And because the dates when people have sex isn’t totally random, that will lead to nonrandom birthdates that will affect the percentages. If, for example, more people are born in March than in December, that clustering will increase the chance that a group selected at random won’t have purely random birthdates. Plus in modern countries and times, artificially induced births can also have an effect. “Oh, tomorrow is Friday the thirteenth; I want the baby now [or tomorrow, or …].” I believe my brother was delivered by C-section. Did my mother say, “Saturday is my birthday; I’d like the baby delivered then”? I don’t know, but it’s possible, and if so, that would mean his birthdate wasn’t random.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Let's experiment. Somebody start a thread. First 70 members post. Then, let's see if we will come up with 2 people sharing the same BD.

Do it here. I'll start.

May 6

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I was born on August 2.

I have a cousin who is two years younger who was also born on August 2.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
February the 17.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
October 19.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Sept 30

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
4/20. Yes, same as Hitler, and pot day, but growing up, I'd point out that it is also Don Mattingly's b-day.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Sept 30

Bang, game over. I'm end of third quarter too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
DAMN! Mad

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
9/23..

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
October 19.
Yeah, me too.

quote:
More people have sex in winter (nothing else better to do)
I'll just point out that this isn't just only in the winter.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And the responses here are unlikely to be random either. If I saw someone post my birthdate, I would be more likely to say, “Me, too,” than I would be to just wander in, look around, and move on to other things. We are looking at far more than the first 70 people who post, but rather the entire block of people who view the thread.

It’s like any other poll: Allowing self-selected respondents skews things significantly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Sept 30

Bang, game over. I'm end of third quarter too.

September 27.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post