SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No 5G modem and it will be on next year’s phone. So this is a dud year.

I imagine this is a disappointment for both people who live where 5G will roll out this year..... Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No 5G modem and it will be on next year’s phone. So this is a dud year.

That’s a good point. Especially for folks like me that don’t have a wired Internet connection. My Internet connection for my MacBook Air is my iPhone/Sprint hotspot.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Serious question, is there actually a 5g standard even out yet, or are they all proprietary and subject to change?

In an August 28, 2019 article, PCmag says:

“All four major US carriers now have some form of 5G wireless, although it's all limited rollouts in only a few cities, mostly using expensive phones that won't support future nationwide 5G networks.”

Link

Seems that the absence of 5g on iPhones is warranted if there is no standard. There isn’t enough cheese in the world to go with the whine we’d here if Apple released an iPhone claiming to be 5g only to find a year from now it wasn’t compatible with whatever standard was decided on.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Serious question, is there actually a 5g standard even out yet, or are they all proprietary and subject to change?

5G is out already in some cities, although few phones support it at this point. It's a shame that the Iphone will not be able to take advantage of it yet.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We decided to go from the base 7 to the XS Max last year and have been really happy. I won't upgrade for another couple of years as long as it doesn't feel too long in the tooth. I am however excited about the prospects of the new streaming service. I'm hoping that would allow us to dump Netflix and Amazon. I don't like giving them my money. Fortunately we get a base Hulu incl with our Sprint cell phone package. We don't have cable but don't really use it anyhow with dozens of OTR channels easy to get.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I guess the iPhone SE2 isn't ever going to happen. Confused

My wife REFUSES to give up her SE, so she's going to keep it until it breaks, dies or gets so outdated it can't be updated.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have an iPhone X and it will be paid off in December. I will not upgrade as this X does all I need at present. My wife has a 6 Plus and will need to move up to the 11 since the 6 won't upgrade an longer. She only uses the phone, mail and farcebook so high-tech is not needed. The price point of the '11' is about right.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmGnhBrS8I

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

My wife REFUSES to give up her SE, so she's going to keep it until it breaks, dies or gets so outdated it can't be updated.

Nope, there'll be no new SE sized phone. It's not what most people want these days. Bigger and bigger. Thankfully I think the market has settled on not going over 6.5" else we get into iPad mini territory. Bigger of course means easier to read and do whatever visual stuff you do on your phone, but it is a "mobile" device, so it needs to travel with you without becoming uncomfortable or needing a shoulder strap. I personally don't care for anything larger than the 5.8"

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy: I personally don't care for anything larger than the 5.8"

I agree. It's nice that you get the increased screen area without increased size over the 8 on the X and beyond.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Apple hasn't stunned me with any new products in years. They never came out with a revolutionary product, since the iPhone/iPad, that we have all hoped for. I would have thought they would smoked us with a TV set, but doesn't seem to be on the horizon. Another Netflix competitor doesn't do a thing for me.
I am 100% Apple/Mac oriented but I think the new Samsung Phones blow away the iPhone.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Nope, there'll be no new SE sized phone. It's not what most people want these days. Bigger and bigger. Thankfully I think the market has settled on not going over 6.5" else we get into iPad mini territory. Bigger of course means easier to read and do whatever visual stuff you do on your phone, but it is a "mobile" device, so it needs to travel with you without becoming uncomfortable or needing a shoulder strap. I personally don't care for anything larger than the 5.8"

I would have thought that by now, someone would have been able to introduce a phone that is normal on the outside for daily use, but flips open in the middle so the screen is twice the size of the normal phone, or something along those lines.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I don't see why iPhone needs to release new models every single year. Some models are a great improvement, but most are barely a step up.

Barnum already explained it.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Nope, there'll be no new SE sized phone. It's not what most people want these days.

I think Apple is doing themselves a big disservice by not trying to go after the people that don't want a huge phone and I think there are a lot more of them than they realize.

Maybe they see their market studies and sales numbers, but IIRC the SE was ALWAYS a big seller all the way up to the day they yanked it, and the secondary market for them is pretty robust.

What this is about is they don't make as much profit off a smaller, cheaper phone.

It's all about the $$$

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I don't see why iPhone needs to release new models every single year. Some models are a great improvement, but most are barely a step up.
Barnum already explained it.
And Thomas Tusser as well. "A fool and his money..."

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MagBas
posted Hide Post
Two questions:
1. Does it have a headphone jack?
2. Why the hell not?

I realize there are many reasons people may prefer the wireless earbuds, but what does it hurt to include a headphone jack?
I'm on my iPhone a lot for my work and I use wired earbuds for those calls. Some of those calls can last a couple of hours or more. I realize many of the wireless options have battery lives of 4 to 6 hours, but what if in some strange universe where my life doesn't revolve around vigilantly monitoring the charge level of wireless gadgets I forgot to fully charge them right before a phone call, or I have two or three calls back to back?

You may try to tell me to just use the dongle (hate that word, btw). Well, what if I have a call near the end of the day and my phone is low on charge? It'd sure be nice to be able to plug in the phone charger and earbuds at the same time! I know, I'm just a crazy kid with a dream. There's no way today's technology could ever solve that problem. Maybe our grandkids can look forward to a day when they can charge and talk at the same time. Oh, wait, it was already solved with the very first freakin' iPhone!

Again, I'm not advocating against wireless technology. It's very cool. I just want to know what could it possibly hurt to include a headphone jack?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MagBas,

Posts: 408 | Location: Tennessee, U.S.A. | Registered: July 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagBas:
Two questions:
1. Does is have a headphone jack?
2. Why the hell not?

1. No
2. For the same reason I can't buy two pair station wire (*) at HD, Lowe's or pretty much anywhere else these days.

I have 3.5mm Jack's on both iPhone and iPad. I think I may have used each of them once or twice in 2-3 years--at the most.

(*) Used for POTS (**) premises wiring
(**) Plain Old Telephone Service

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
No more SE sized phones?

Fucking great. Big phones are dumb as hell.

I hate Phablets.

Garbage.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
No more SE sized phones?

I hate Phablets.

What qualifies as a "phablet" is highly subjective. Personally, I would prefer to go no larger than my iPhone 6S. The Xr I think will be tolerable. Anything bigger than that would be a non-starter for me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

Thunderbolt/3.5mm
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post