SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I want a camera in the watch. Not sure why, but that's what I want.


.
 
Posts: 8094 | Location: The Beaver State | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by 686Owner:
Uhh, got some bad news for you.

Well, my S9 is still sporting it, and that's all that matters to me at this time. If Samsung ends up nixing the jack on the S11 and future Galaxies, I'll be pretty bummed. We'll see.

Android manufacturers usually end up following Apple's lead eventually.

I made certain my noise-cancelling over-the-ear headphones had a 3.5mm jack for the in-flight entertainment systems. Otherwise I'll never use it. Put 'em on, turn 'em on. They annunciate "connected" (to my iPad). Hit "Play." Done. When done: Turn 'em off. Put 'em away. No cords or plugs to fumble around with.

We do still have a land line, though Big Grin




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.
 
Posts: 16258 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just ordered an 11 Pro Max this morning. Trade-In value on my 7 Plus was $200.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
 
Posts: 16472 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Just ordered an 11 Pro Max this morning. Trade-In value on my 7 Plus was $200.

Was that an Apple store trade-in?



Look about you.
 
Posts: 4977 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Trade-in value assigned by Verizon, which is closely aligned with what Apple considers fair trade value.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
 
Posts: 16472 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No 5G modem and it will be on next year’s phone. So this is a dud year.

I imagine this is a disappointment for both people who live where 5G will roll out this year..... Wink


No it’s disappointing for Apple. Yeah! I wanna go pay $1,000.00 for a phone that is obsolete mere months after I bought it! Sounds like fun times.



F your instagram!
 
Posts: 9458 | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No 5G modem and it will be on next year’s phone. So this is a dud year.

I imagine this is a disappointment for both people who live where 5G will roll out this year..... Wink


No it’s disappointing for Apple. Yeah! I wanna go pay $1,000.00 for a phone that is obsolete mere months after I bought it! Sounds like fun times.


There is no standard for 5g yet so even if Apple had included some sort of 5g capability it also would be obsolete in the near future. How happy would that make you?

Lack of 5g isn't a deal killer for me. $1,000 is. There is nothing a $1,000 phone can do that I need or want.

Apple is truly amazing. Until the iPhone, cell phones were getting smaller and cheaper. Think about it. First car phones, then brick phones, etc. Apple comes along and makes each iteration bigger and more expensive.
 
Posts: 5082 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
5G seems to be really finicky, anyway. Better to continue to wait for it to sort itself out than offer the service and have customers be upset about A) Not being able to use it because the service isn't available in their area, or B) Hating the service as is because it doesn't offer connectivity on par with 4G LTE.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
 
Posts: 16472 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by 686Owner:

Uhh, got some bad news for you.


Well, my S9 is still sporting it, and that's all that matters to me at this time. If Samsung ends up nixing the jack on the S11 and future Galaxies, I'll be pretty bummed. We'll see.


It's already out of the Note 10 which is a much bigger phone to my understanding.
 
Posts: 4583 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No 5G modem and it will be on next year’s phone. So this is a dud year.

I imagine this is a disappointment for both people who live where 5G will roll out this year..... Wink


No it’s disappointing for Apple. Yeah! I wanna go pay $1,000.00 for a phone that is obsolete mere months after I bought it! Sounds like fun times.


There is no standard for 5g yet so even if Apple had included some sort of 5g capability it also would be obsolete in the near future. How happy would that make you?

Lack of 5g isn't a deal killer for me. $1,000 is. There is nothing a $1,000 phone can do that I need or want.

Apple is truly amazing. Until the iPhone, cell phones were getting smaller and cheaper. Think about it. First car phones, then brick phones, etc. Apple comes along and makes each iteration bigger and more expensive.


They only build what the market is buying. The Android manufacturers started building the phablets long before Apple did in 2014 (iPhone 6plus). Phablets are here to stay, obviously.


————————————————
Those who can, do. Those who can’t, manage.
 
Posts: 1253 | Location: North And East Of The Big Chicken | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
More info about the cameras:

“… Apple spent a notable amount of time highlighting the phones' ultra-wide lens which boasts a 120 degree field of view, and allows users to take pictures with a greater depth of field and range.
……
Its Ultra-Wide lens is powered through a new software that lets users cycle between regular and wide modes seamlessly, broadening their image field by simply swiping.

A wider sensor also enables the phone to capture more light and paves the way for a long-desired Night Mode setting for low light.

It also achieves 2x optical zoom [I doubt that claim] and an 'immersive camera interface,' that will let users 'see and capture the area outside of the frame.'  …”

https://mol.im/a/7461429



Look about you.
 
Posts: 4977 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagBas:
...

You may try to tell me to just use the dongle (hate that word, btw). Well, what if I have a call near the end of the day and my phone is low on charge? It'd sure be nice to be able to plug in the phone charger and earbuds at the same time! I know, I'm just a crazy kid with a dream. There's no way today's technology could ever solve that problem. Maybe our grandkids can look forward to a day when they can charge and talk at the same time...



Prepare to have your mind blown...

Charge and use archaic headphones >>>>AT THE SAME TIME<<<<






What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???



 
Posts: 8951 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Reviewers always drive me nuts. They will pick features from a half dozen Android phones to “prove” the inferiority of the iPhone. The Huawei whatever has a better screen, this Samsung has a better camera, this other LG has a longer batter life, etc. Comparing individual features without looking at the whole package makes a review worthless because it ignores the trade offs the designer had to make for each of those features to work together in the same device.

Reviewing that way, one could “prove” that the Mustang was an inferior aircraft, because there was always a different machine with better stats in one area. I can hear it now. “The Bf109 had more firepower, and the Spitfire had a better climb rate, and the A6M2 had more range, so the P51 sucked.” Uh, no.



Hannibal ad portas. Carthago delenda est.
 
Posts: 6149 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

... Anyway, I offered her my Bose noise canceling headset. Sorry, no headphone jack on her iPhone 10. And oops, she doesn't have an adapter and no bluetooth headsets either. Sorry, sweetie. You're shit out of luck.

It's simply idiotic that these devices are doing away with the headphone jack. Thank God Samsung still includes it on their flagship phones.


You know Bose makes a BT NC headset...

As do about 30 other companies...






What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???



 
Posts: 8951 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

... Anyway, I offered her my Bose noise canceling headset. Sorry, no headphone jack on her iPhone 10. And oops, she doesn't have an adapter and no bluetooth headsets either. Sorry, sweetie. You're shit out of luck.

It's simply idiotic that these devices are doing away with the headphone jack. Thank God Samsung still includes it on their flagship phones.


You know Bose makes a BT NC headset...

As do about 30 other companies...


So? Was I supposed to run out and buy a pair that day or something?

Bose didn't have a noise canceling bluetooth model available when I bought mine by the way. I'm sure I'll upgrade to the bluetooth model when my current set fails, just as long as the bluetooth headsets also allow for wired 3.5mm connection to be used on airplane entertainment systems, which is what I primarily have it for.


~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.
 
Posts: 22692 | Location: Ski Town, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by MagBas:
...

You may try to tell me to just use the dongle (hate that word, btw). Well, what if I have a call near the end of the day and my phone is low on charge? It'd sure be nice to be able to plug in the phone charger and earbuds at the same time! I know, I'm just a crazy kid with a dream. There's no way today's technology could ever solve that problem. Maybe our grandkids can look forward to a day when they can charge and talk at the same time...



Prepare to have your mind blown...

Charge and use archaic headphones >>>>AT THE SAME TIME<<<<


I guess people use their phones in different ways. In all the years I've had a smart phone, the need to listen and charge at the same time has never come up. Navigating one cord is bad enough. Good grief sitting around with two cords dangling would be a royal PITA. But hey, if that's the litmus test for you, then go with an Android phone that has a jack. But get ready, they won't be around forever.



Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
 
Posts: 9627 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The best part of this thread is that I’m not as much of a dinosaur as some of you guys. Lol
 
Posts: 2262 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Improve your life, and buy a flip phone. My LG Exhalt II is a pretty decent one, with good sound quality...

I admit, I'd love to have it "rooted" so that I could load Slack on it - but that's all it really needs.
 
Posts: 3695 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
The best part of this thread is that I’m not as much of a dinosaur as some of you guys. Lol

Indeed. I expect I'm far from the oldest around here, but I'm probably up at the higher end. However I put forth a conscious effort to adopt new tech to avoid getting too far out of the tech loop.

I don't want to be seen wandering around with an onion on my belt Wink

But I can also empathize with BH's point. He's got a pair of fairly recent, higher-end headphones and Apple's obsoleted them. At least on iThings.

I've been there. It's annoying.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.
 
Posts: 16258 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Problem solved people: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/s...ne-headphone-adapter


————————————————
Those who can, do. Those who can’t, manage.
 
Posts: 1253 | Location: North And East Of The Big Chicken | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today

© SIGforum 2019