SIGforum
See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today

This topic can be found at:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9720058064

September 11, 2019, 04:36 PM
ensigmatic
See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
No more SE sized phones?

...

I hate Phablets.

What qualifies as a "phablet" is highly subjective. Personally, I would prefer to go no larger than my iPhone 6S. The Xr I think will be tolerable. Anything bigger than that would be a non-starter for me.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.
September 11, 2019, 04:42 PM
bigeinkcmo
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
What qualifies as a "phablet" is highly subjective. Personally, I would prefer to go no larger than my iPhone 6S. The Xr I think will be tolerable. Anything bigger than that would be a non-starter for me.


The nice thing with the newer iPhones is the entire front face is a screen so you get a lot more viewing area in the same space. I couldn't handle texting on my normal size iPhone 7 very well and wanted to go back to something close the my old Samsung note 4. For some reason the keyboard spacing just works better for me. The XS Max I have feels nearly the same size as the 7 but has the 6.5" screen - which is dreamy to look at. Very easy to watch live sports, movies and such. I have shitty vision so I'll take any help I can get.
September 11, 2019, 05:54 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

Thunderbolt/3.5mm
Confused



A mind is a terrible thing.
September 11, 2019, 05:58 PM
sig77
So my question is what is the old new phone that is a deal now. I like to stay off the cutting edge, but I am due for an upgrade.



There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.
September 11, 2019, 05:59 PM
gearhounds
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I'm holding out for the iPalm implant with standard thumb/pinkie earpiece/microphone.


Me, I’m waiting for the EyEphone...





"In America, there is no such thing as poor people, there are lazy people."- Edmond's dad
September 11, 2019, 05:59 PM
bigeinkcmo
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

Thunderbolt/3.5mm
Confused


Sorry, the Lightning cable to 3.5mm....I used the Mac cable name by mistake. I'm human.
September 11, 2019, 07:00 PM
Orguss
The 11 Pro Max seems to have similar physical dimensions to the 7 Plus. I guess I'll finally be upgrading.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
September 11, 2019, 08:04 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
So my question is what is the old new phone that is a deal now. I like to stay off the cutting edge, but I am due for an upgrade.


I think you’ll start seeing decent deals on the iPhone 8 on the lower end and the X or XR on the higher end.

I may get a XR by the end of the year to replace the 6 I’m still using.


September 11, 2019, 08:17 PM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by MagBas:
Two questions:
1. Does is have a headphone jack?
2. Why the hell not?

1. No
2. For the same reason I can't buy two pair station wire (*) at HD, Lowe's or pretty much anywhere else these days.

I have 3.5mm Jack's on both iPhone and iPad. I think I may have used each of them once or twice in 2-3 years--at the most.

(*) Used for POTS (**) premises wiring
(**) Plain Old Telephone Service


Yeah, well, you know what? It should still have a headphone jack.

Just a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were in the hospital as she was in the early stages of labor. She didn't have much to do for a few hours but wait. She decided that she wanted to listen to some music, not the least of which because of the woman in the adjacent room screaming in excruciating pain seemingly forever (yay natural birth! Not...). Anyway, I offered her my Bose noise canceling headset. Sorry, no headphone jack on her iPhone 10. And oops, she doesn't have an adapter and no bluetooth headsets either. Sorry, sweetie. You're shit out of luck.

It's simply idiotic that these devices are doing away with the headphone jack. Thank God Samsung still includes it on their flagship phones.


~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.
September 11, 2019, 10:11 PM
bigeinkcmo
It is kind of a pita but at least they give you a set that work in the box. Used to give you an adapter too. I used mine today on a bike ride. I don't particularly like them though, as they fall out of my ears. Sadly the lacking 3.5mm makes a lot of good headphones harder to use without having to rely on an adapter.
September 11, 2019, 10:36 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

Thunderbolt/3.5mm
Confused
Sorry, the Lightning cable to 3.5mm....I used the Mac cable name by mistake. I'm human.
Ah, somehow "lightning" did not occur to me. I was trying to envision a thunderbolt port on a phone and thinking that would not be a bad idea, if a new miniature thunderbolt port was offered.

Well, lightning, thunderbolt, doesn't matter. If you've seen one weather phenomenon you've seen them all. Smile



A mind is a terrible thing.
September 12, 2019, 07:51 AM
bigeinkcmo
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Ah, somehow "lightning" did not occur to me. I was trying to envision a thunderbolt port on a phone and thinking that would not be a bad idea, if a new miniature thunderbolt port was offered.

Well, lightning, thunderbolt, doesn't matter. If you've seen one weather phenomenon you've seen them all. Smile


Lol, got ya. That's funny. Yeah, that would be interesting actually. I think a few Android devices have HDMI and I could see that being handy now and then. Thunderbolt offers more versatility it appears but I actually don't have any other Apple devices right now that utilize it. Maybe down the road.
September 12, 2019, 09:37 AM
NavyGuy
I don't see the big deal in using that little audio adapter. It's small, light weight and stays out of the way. Sure you could loose it, but really... is that a valid reason for all the fuss? I've been using Raycon Earbuds for awhile and rarely mess with wired ear buds. I don't miss the audio jack at all. As BlueTooth accessories become more and more prevalent and prices continue to come down, I think the audio jack will go the way of the 8 track.



Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
September 12, 2019, 09:41 AM
PowerSurge
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I don't see the big deal in using that little audio adapter. It's small, light weight and stays out of the way. Sure you could loose it, but really... is that a valid reason for all the fuss? I've been using Raycon Earbuds for awhile and rarely mess with wired ear buds. I don't miss the audio jack at all. As BlueTooth accessories become more and more prevalent and prices continue to come down, I think the audio jack will go the way of the 8 track.


Yep. And no, I’m not nostalgic for the audio jack. Or the 8-track. Smile


————————————————
Those who can, do. Those who can’t, manage.
September 12, 2019, 10:56 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
<snip>
As BlueTooth accessories become more and more prevalent and prices continue to come down, I think the audio jack will go the way of the 8 track.

Agree. I have AirPods II, and love ‘em. Apple’s goal is to get rid of all physical ports and switches.



Look about you.
September 12, 2019, 11:05 AM
Jimbo Jones



quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’m damned glad that it’s named “iPhone 11”, rather than “iPhone XI”. I’m forever saying “iPhone ex” whereas I should be saying “iPhone ten”.


Peach it brother!! Hated the Roman numeral.



---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.
September 12, 2019, 12:27 PM
cparktd
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I don't miss the audio jack at all.


And one less hole for Apple to have to protect against water intrusion.



Deplorable before deplorable was cool!
September 12, 2019, 02:49 PM
PASig



September 12, 2019, 10:01 PM
686Owner
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by MagBas:
Two questions:
1. Does is have a headphone jack?
2. Why the hell not?

1. No
2. For the same reason I can't buy two pair station wire (*) at HD, Lowe's or pretty much anywhere else these days.

I have 3.5mm Jack's on both iPhone and iPad. I think I may have used each of them once or twice in 2-3 years--at the most.

(*) Used for POTS (**) premises wiring
(**) Plain Old Telephone Service


Yeah, well, you know what? It should still have a headphone jack.

Just a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were in the hospital as she was in the early stages of labor. She didn't have much to do for a few hours but wait. She decided that she wanted to listen to some music, not the least of which because of the woman in the adjacent room screaming in excruciating pain seemingly forever (yay natural birth! Not...). Anyway, I offered her my Bose noise canceling headset. Sorry, no headphone jack on her iPhone 10. And oops, she doesn't have an adapter and no bluetooth headsets either. Sorry, sweetie. You're shit out of luck.

It's simply idiotic that these devices are doing away with the headphone jack. Thank God Samsung still includes it on their flagship phones.


Uhh, got some bad news for you.
September 12, 2019, 10:45 PM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by 686Owner:

Uhh, got some bad news for you.


Well, my S9 is still sporting it, and that's all that matters to me at this time. If Samsung ends up nixing the jack on the S11 and future Galaxies, I'll be pretty bummed. We'll see.


~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.