SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

See everything Apple announced at its product launch event today Login/Join 
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
So my question is what is the old new phone that is a deal now. I like to stay off the cutting edge, but I am due for an upgrade.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I'm holding out for the iPalm implant with standard thumb/pinkie earpiece/microphone.

Me, I’m waiting for the EyEphone...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The 11 Pro Max seems to have similar physical dimensions to the 7 Plus. I guess I'll finally be upgrading.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
So my question is what is the old new phone that is a deal now. I like to stay off the cutting edge, but I am due for an upgrade.

I think you’ll start seeing decent deals on the iPhone 8 on the lower end and the X or XR on the higher end.

I may get a XR by the end of the year to replace the 6 I’m still using.

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by MagBas:
Two questions:
1. Does is have a headphone jack?
2. Why the hell not?

1. No
2. For the same reason I can't buy two pair station wire (*) at HD, Lowe's or pretty much anywhere else these days.

I have 3.5mm Jack's on both iPhone and iPad. I think I may have used each of them once or twice in 2-3 years--at the most.

(*) Used for POTS (**) premises wiring
(**) Plain Old Telephone Service

Yeah, well, you know what? It should still have a headphone jack.

Just a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were in the hospital as she was in the early stages of labor. She didn't have much to do for a few hours but wait. She decided that she wanted to listen to some music, not the least of which because of the woman in the adjacent room screaming in excruciating pain seemingly forever (yay natural birth! Not...). Anyway, I offered her my Bose noise canceling headset. Sorry, no headphone jack on her iPhone 10. And oops, she doesn't have an adapter and no bluetooth headsets either. Sorry, sweetie. You're shit out of luck.

It's simply idiotic that these devices are doing away with the headphone jack. Thank God Samsung still includes it on their flagship phones.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

Thunderbolt/3.5mm
Confused
Sorry, the Lightning cable to 3.5mm....I used the Mac cable name by mistake. I'm human.
Ah, somehow "lightning" did not occur to me. I was trying to envision a thunderbolt port on a phone and thinking that would not be a bad idea, if a new miniature thunderbolt port was offered.

Well, lightning, thunderbolt, doesn't matter. If you've seen one weather phenomenon you've seen them all. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Ah, somehow "lightning" did not occur to me. I was trying to envision a thunderbolt port on a phone and thinking that would not be a bad idea, if a new miniature thunderbolt port was offered.

Well, lightning, thunderbolt, doesn't matter. If you've seen one weather phenomenon you've seen them all. Smile

Lol, got ya. That's funny. Yeah, that would be interesting actually. I think a few Android devices have HDMI and I could see that being handy now and then. Thunderbolt offers more versatility it appears but I actually don't have any other Apple devices right now that utilize it. Maybe down the road.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I don't see the big deal in using that little audio adapter. It's small, light weight and stays out of the way. Sure you could loose it, but really... is that a valid reason for all the fuss? I've been using Raycon Earbuds for awhile and rarely mess with wired ear buds. I don't miss the audio jack at all. As BlueTooth accessories become more and more prevalent and prices continue to come down, I think the audio jack will go the way of the 8 track.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I don't see the big deal in using that little audio adapter. It's small, light weight and stays out of the way. Sure you could loose it, but really... is that a valid reason for all the fuss? I've been using Raycon Earbuds for awhile and rarely mess with wired ear buds. I don't miss the audio jack at all. As BlueTooth accessories become more and more prevalent and prices continue to come down, I think the audio jack will go the way of the 8 track.

Yep. And no, I’m not nostalgic for the audio jack. Or the 8-track. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
As BlueTooth accessories become more and more prevalent and prices continue to come down, I think the audio jack will go the way of the 8 track.

Agree. I have AirPods II, and love ‘em. Apple’s goal is to get rid of all physical ports and switches.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’m damned glad that it’s named “iPhone 11”, rather than “iPhone XI”. I’m forever saying “iPhone ex” whereas I should be saying “iPhone ten”.

Peach it brother!! Hated the Roman numeral.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't miss the audio jack at all.

And one less hole for Apple to have to protect against water intrusion.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by MagBas:
Two questions:
1. Does is have a headphone jack?
2. Why the hell not?

1. No
2. For the same reason I can't buy two pair station wire (*) at HD, Lowe's or pretty much anywhere else these days.

I have 3.5mm Jack's on both iPhone and iPad. I think I may have used each of them once or twice in 2-3 years--at the most.

(*) Used for POTS (**) premises wiring
(**) Plain Old Telephone Service

Yeah, well, you know what? It should still have a headphone jack.

Just a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were in the hospital as she was in the early stages of labor. She didn't have much to do for a few hours but wait. She decided that she wanted to listen to some music, not the least of which because of the woman in the adjacent room screaming in excruciating pain seemingly forever (yay natural birth! Not...). Anyway, I offered her my Bose noise canceling headset. Sorry, no headphone jack on her iPhone 10. And oops, she doesn't have an adapter and no bluetooth headsets either. Sorry, sweetie. You're shit out of luck.

It's simply idiotic that these devices are doing away with the headphone jack. Thank God Samsung still includes it on their flagship phones.

Uhh, got some bad news for you.

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 686Owner:

Well, my S9 is still sporting it, and that's all that matters to me at this time. If Samsung ends up nixing the jack on the S11 and future Galaxies, I'll be pretty bummed. We'll see.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I want a camera in the watch. Not sure why, but that's what I want.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by 686Owner:

Well, my S9 is still sporting it, and that's all that matters to me at this time. If Samsung ends up nixing the jack on the S11 and future Galaxies, I'll be pretty bummed. We'll see.

Android manufacturers usually end up following Apple's lead eventually.

I made certain my noise-cancelling over-the-ear headphones had a 3.5mm jack for the in-flight entertainment systems. Otherwise I'll never use it. Put 'em on, turn 'em on. They annunciate "connected" (to my iPad). Hit "Play." Done. When done: Turn 'em off. Put 'em away. No cords or plugs to fumble around with.

We do still have a land line, though Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just ordered an 11 Pro Max this morning. Trade-In value on my 7 Plus was $200.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Just ordered an 11 Pro Max this morning. Trade-In value on my 7 Plus was $200.

Was that an Apple store trade-in?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Trade-in value assigned by Verizon, which is closely aligned with what Apple considers fair trade value.