SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aftermarket TPMS sensors - Anybody using them? Recommend a brand?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket TPMS sensors - Anybody using them? Recommend a brand? Login/Join 
posted
Any experience with them, either on your trailers,RVs, or using them on your everyday driver?
Any brand or system you would recommend?

Posts: 3593 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Discount Tire install a set of the Schrader brand TPMS in my snow tire rims for the 4Runner. Didn't see any difference from the factory originals as far as function.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schrader brand TPMS

+1
Schrader is good to go.

I recently bought 2 new tires for the Acura TL and picked up a couple of these before hand for them to put in when they mounted and balanced the new tires at Sams. They are supposed to charge $10 extra to put in the TPMS sensors but they didn't charge me.

https://shop.advanceautoparts....ura-28981/16970019-P

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using this on an old car and so far it has been working well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:

I've been leery of that style causing a slow leak. How long have you been using them?

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have been using TST TPMS for 7 yrs now and then they have saved me twice now. I hav a 45 ft motorhome pulling a Jeep Wrangler. I use the repeater because of the length. I have had to change out a few sensors also the button batteries for all sensors. Besides that no issues.

Here is the new version of what I am using.

TST

Note with those wheel sensors you do need metal stems.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have bought 8 TPMS sensors (4 for each vehicle). The first set I bought from Amazon GM OEM, the second set Honda OEM I bought from Rock Auto. If your going to do them, I recommend doing all 4 so your not replacing 2 more down the road. They are good for 7-10 years, some people get more, others less out of them.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If your going to do them, I recommend doing all 4 so your not replacing 2 more down the road. They are good for 7-10 years, some people get more, others less out of them.

That's why I changed them out when I bought new tires. If you are replacing all 4 tires, replace all 4. But... if you only need 2 tires, the other 2 can wait until you need the other 2 tires.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
I have sold Shrader and VDO for years with no issues on either.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:

I've been leery of that style causing a slow leak. How long have you been using them?

I've only been using it for the last 4 months.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Bandit:
I have sold Shrader and VDO for years with no issues on either.

Same two brands here.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Can one simply install new tire sensors - with no change to the body mounted pick-up? Are sensors universal that way or must both sides (xmitter/recvr) be replaced?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought GM sensors for a Corvette thru Ebay at considerable savings over dealer. They worked fine.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a set of Dorman Direct-Fit sensors in a set of snow wheels. Third season on them with no issues so far. The price from Rock Auto was pretty reasonable, too.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Can one simply install new tire sensors - with no change to the body mounted pick-up? Are sensors universal that way or must both sides (xmitter/recvr) be replaced?

I just repurposed my winter wheels from my BMW and put them on a Cadillac. The two cars work on different TPMS frequencies so I had to get new sensors in the wheels. When shopping for TPMS you'll search by make/model/year to get the right frequency.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Discount Tire replaced one of my malfunctioning TPMS sensors. They made a recommendation. I took it, whatever it was. Fixed the problem and never did anything wonky.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

I believe the Schrader ones are almost universal. They can use 3 different frequencies, but they have to be programmed for the vehicle they will be used with before the vehicle will recognize them.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When one of mine failed (just after replacing all four tires with nice Michelin's), I simply went online and found out how to disable the idiot light. I've been driving for about 54 years now, and never had any problem keeping my tires pressurized. Don't need the light, nor the expense of new TPMS sensors every so often.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
+1 on the TST system. I have the “Internal Band” system on my Motorhome and a screw on type on my tow dolly and towed car. Never had any problem.

Posts: 1885 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post