SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My iPhone died. And I never backed it up :( ** Update page 1. Fixed !
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My iPhone died. And I never backed it up :( ** Update page 1. Fixed ! Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
That is one thing nice about my Samsung having a micro card I can back my data to it and onto a secondary drive. I hate the thought of backing to the cloud, who knows how many people can access it then.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There are two kinds of people in the world- those that have lost data, and those that shall lose data.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
As a policy, I never use the internet for personal storage, but I do hook up my Samsung phone to one of my Thinkpads to load photos, exactly like a thumbdrive. Plus my phone has an SD card in it for storage of my music and photos as well...

Works great on an Android phone w/ PC....Not so much / at all on an iPhone! Apple doesn't think you NEED to do that, and so you CANNOT! Roll Eyes

actually you can, and I do all the time

hook your iPhone up to the computer

open image capture

access the iPhone

select all

download to a folder of your choice
make sure to look at the box that asks about deleting off device after download is what you want it to be set to

I don't use iTunes except for things I absolutely have to. I also don't use iPhoto

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
That is why I like android and google chrome. You just sync them, photos, email, ect can be pulled from any device I have that has chrome. Simple to use.

This is not exclusive to Android phones. Work perfectly on iOS phones and iPads as well. You just need a google account and set up the auto back up. Free and unlimited storage.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I know nothing about the cloud. But it has always seemed sketchy.
Wtf is the cloud anyways. Yea I know it is some kind of data storage deal, but wtf?

It's just storage on a server farm, or farms. Usually in purpose-built server facilities with redundant and backup power and redundant very high-bandwidth Internet connections.

In the case of what the OP was talking about, iCloud, the server farms are operated by Apple and all your data is encrypted with robust encryption.

I trust Apple's cloud storage enough that my digital keyring is sync'd between my devices via iCloud.

quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
That is why I like android and google chrome. You just sync them, photos, email, ect can be pulled from any device I have that has chrome. Simple to use.

So it is with Apple, too. But you do have to activate it.

And Apple, unlike Google, does not harvest any of your information.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
For data retrieval or repair you might consider
rossmangroup.com. No affiliation, but they seem to know what they are doing.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I back mine up weekly with itunes on my pc just in case.

I'm switching iphones soon. The plan is to back mine up, restore it to new phone, wipe my phone, back up my daughter's phone, restore it to my old phone then trade her old phone in to offset my new one.

For the backup places, try to get a quote before leaving your device there.

A coworker needed about 10 gb of photos of his recently passed mom off his kaput hard drive and it cost him $1400.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nest time get one of those WiFi hard drives. Back up to it and nothing goes on the cloud. You have full control over where those pics are stored.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update page 1. It’s been fixed

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!
Pricey but nice.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post