SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My iPhone died. And I never backed it up :( ** Update page 1. Fixed !
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My iPhone died. And I never backed it up :( ** Update page 1. Fixed ! Login/Join 
posted
Man what a crappy day. Phone was working fine on Saturday night. Than bang. Dead. Was an iphone6 I bought in 2014. So today we trekked to apple store. An hour later, Yup. It’s dead Jim. So $800 later I have a new 8. money is not the issue and my employer will reimburse me $450 of it. It’s that I’m an idiot and never set my phone to self back up to the cloud. Thousands of picture of my kids especially dance and scouts anlittle league poof. I’m really mad at myself. There’s a data recovery industry so we’ll see if I can salvage some of it. I’ll pretty much pay anything to get those pics back. And my contacts ugh. I can rebuild that and my wife had many of the same contacts. She was at many of the same little league games so we have a lot of the pics. It the silly selfies of when my kids were little. Gone for now. Wish me luck on the day at recovery

Stupid stupid stupid me.

***Update 12-7-18
So it cost me a 400$ stupid tax and 6 weeks but the. Clean room lab place was able to fix it. I have my old phone back. They recovered my data and thousands of pictures and my contacts. Woot woot! Trust me. The cloud back up issue has been resolved. So another phone for the kids to play games on when they are well behaved

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I hope in the end you will recover your data. Does Apple do the data recovery, or do you have to take it somewhere else?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Have you tried connecting the dead phone to a computer to see if you can scan the data via the computer?

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on that data recovery! I don't take too many photos but I did lose some during an upgrade years ago that I wish I could get back.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's tough. It sounds like it was cheap insurance if you had done the back up thing.

While I do have the iphone back up and I even pay $1 per month for the extra storage. I also have the following dupes:

For email, I have gmail so I don't really lose those.

Same for contact information, I use the iphone contacts to connect with my gmail contacts.

For pictures, I have (you guess it) google pictures automatically back up my pictures. I pick the low resolution that's free so I don't have to pay for Google space yet.

My other information app, I use evernote which syncs across multiple devices.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about the cloud. But it has always seemed sketchy. Like maybe I should not store stuff in a "cloud." Maybe someone should try to educate all of those who have a similar perspective. I know there are many.
Wtf is the cloud anyways. Yea I know it is some kind of data storage deal, but wtf?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There's nothing mysterious about cloud storage. It's simply remote file hosting in a large server farm somewhere in the world.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Take it for repair (NOT to Apple)
get it fixed and back-up data, transfer to new phone.
Sell the old one for the cost of repair
Learn your lesson....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
That is why I like android and google chrome. You just sync them, photos, email, ect can be pulled from any device I have that has chrome. Simple to use.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Take it for repair (NOT to Apple)
get it fixed and back-up data, transfer to new phone.
Sell the old one for the cost of repair
Learn your lesson....

The possibility exists that the processor (where all the information and pics are) still works, and something else is toast. It will require dropping it into another phone, but might work. Be prepared for it not too if you give it a try.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
This is one reason I have all Apple stuff.
Everything is uploaded to all my devices automatically..

I have to wonder why you would get a "new" phone that is already 2 generations old?

The Apple genius bar should be able to help you out.

Good luck,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Good luck! I'd bet the images are recoverable. It is a solid-state drive.

I had a hard drive malfunction in 2007 and lost some data.

When I finally left my basic decade-old phone, kicking and sobbing, for an iPhone earlier this year, I had to hand-transfer 170 contacts and lost the photos. Not even the Sprint Guru could download the data.

The good part, I could make my MacBook Contacts (the address book) and groups as I wished them to read and organize, and that would automatically sync to the iPhone.

Same for editing images and albums. Take a pic on the iPhone, it appears in the Apple Photos application. The pics I want to archive get drag/copied out of Photos, labeled, and dropped into another folder which is backed up automatically to a cloud server.

When you drag an image from Photos to your desktop, it is dragging a copy of the image (not an alias). The original image is retained on your phone and in your Photos album.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I prefer a local automatic backup (every time I sync the phone) to iTunes. The backup is then on my hard drive, which gets further backed up to my off-site storage drives. I prefer to use iCloud only for non-essential stuff, like Contacts, Calendar, and Safari bookmarks. It's nice to have those things synced among all iDevices, and nothing in those requires privacy. Those are also backed up locally once/week and follow the other backups off-site. I just don't trust anyone's cloud to be there when I need it. When I get a new iPhone, restoring the local backup via iTunes is quick and easy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I know nothing about the cloud. But it has always seemed sketchy. Like maybe I should not store stuff in a "cloud." Maybe someone should try to educate all of those who have a similar perspective. I know there are many.
Wtf is the cloud anyways. Yea I know it is some kind of data storage deal, but wtf?

To add to what Orguss said, the cloud is simply offsite storage. You take a picture, or save a file, it is stored on a hard drive somewhere else. This allows you to access your data from other devices, and also protects you in case the device you created the file on is destroyed.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 8 isn’t that old is it ? I played with a X at the store and I don’t like the functionality. Besides for the same amount of storage it was like another 700$ I think. I don’t like spending tons of money on stuff that will die in a few years. After employer reimbursement I’m only into this new one for 350$. Not $800-1100 like a x

Personal Email is gmail so not a problem. Wife backs hers up to the cloud and it’s password protected so all the pics of kids are safe from hackers.

Yeah just stupid me.

It does connect to my iTunes account but no pics and it won’t download same deal at the apple store. They were the ones that reccomended these recovery services and guy that helped me seemed optimistic because it was still showing some life when a diagnostic was ran just wouldn’t turn on.

I will gladly pay a stupidly tax life lesson if I can get those pictures back

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
As a policy, I never use the internet for personal storage, but I don hook up my Samsung phone to one of my Thinkpads to load photos, exactly like a thumbdrive. Plus my phone has an SD card in it for storage of my music and photos as well.

Sorry to hear of your crash, but try to see if you can sync it up to a Mac computer or hire a recovery service. These guys can pull off miracles in retrieving data.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
As a policy, I never use the internet for personal storage, but I do hook up my Samsung phone to one of my Thinkpads to load photos, exactly like a thumbdrive. Plus my phone has an SD card in it for storage of my music and photos as well...

Works great on an Android phone w/ PC....Not so much / at all on an iPhone! Apple doesn't think you NEED to do that, and so you CANNOT! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very simple solution to this issue is quite simple. Plug you iphone into your laptop or desktop computer and copy all your pictures to the computer.

I'm using Windows 10 so I'll describe the process for this operating system.
Note the first time you connect you will prompted if you want to "trust this computer". If it's your computer grant this permission and you wont be asked again.

If File Explorer didn't open automatically the open that app. You will see "Owners iPhone" listed in the File and Devices List. Scroll down to that and expand the folder tree fully until you see something like "100APPLE" after the DCIM folder. Copy the entire "100APPLE" folder to the Pictures folder on your computer. You have now copied every single picture to the hard drive on your computer. More folders will be added automatically as they fill. So, you start with 100APPLE, then 101APPLE, etc.

Finally if you dont have a portable hard drive GET ONE. A 1 TB drive is now under 60 bucks and will hold many thousands of high resolution pics. They are also useful for backing up critical files on any of your computer. Hint, I currently have 4 separate backups of ALL of my pics.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
The 8 isn’t that old is it ?

No, it isn't. I guess he was thinking of the iPhone X as the iPhone "10" (which is, actually, how Apple pronounces the "X") and taking that to mean it is two generations newer, but it isn't.

The iPhone 8, 8+, and X were all released about the same time about a year ago. The X isn't a "newer generation" than the 8/8+, it's a premium model of the same generation.

The 8, 8+ and X are now all one generation old, with the release of the XS/XS Max/XR.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That sucks.

I have auto reminders to backup my phone, tablets, and computers monthly or before any travel job.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post